Notices

New and 8 days sober

Old 09-21-2008, 04:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and 8 days sober

Hi, I am Jen and I have a serious drinking problem. I have been a hard drinker since I was about 20, only taking time off during pregnancies. I am 34 now, so you get the jist. The problem has only gotten worse and I am now to the point where I am just swigging hard alcohol out of the bottle and chasing it with beer after beer. I get so ridiculously hungover, that I can barely go to work. I am also a Mother of three and know that my drinking is affecting them.

I have tried to stop before on numerous occassions. I made it to about day 17 or so and caved. I have been to a few AA meeting over my lifetime as well, but don't currently attend. I work full time and am a Mother, so I have very little free time. All of which used to be spent drinking into the wee hours of the night.

I am hoping to quit alcohol for good. Yet, the sound of that terrifies me. I can't even imagine a life without alcohol, so I am trying not to think that far ahead. For now, I have been enjoying waking up without a hangover and being able to think again. I have also been enjoying having extra energy and the want to play with my kids.

I hope to talk with some others here who are going through what I am.

Thanks,
Jen
Old 09-21-2008, 05:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Hi Jen...I'm new here, too. I, too couldn't imagine a life w/o alcohol....how would I celebrate? How would I be sad?! I've been sober almost 100 days, and it just keeps getting better and better. Hang in there!

I applaud you for wanting to quit NOW, before your kids are grown. I waited, and will kick myself for the rest of my life.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Jen. I'm glad that you've decided that you want to change.

I suggest that you try an AA meeting again. It's the only thing that kept me sober for 5 months straight. I relapsed one night last week but I got back on track through some women at AA. I've learned some great tools there.

5 months ago I couldn't imagine my life without drinking everyday. Please google meetings in your area. If you don't like it, try another meeting place until you feel comfortable.

Good luck to you and let us know how you're doing.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have to throw the suggestion out there to at least try to get yourself a sponsor. I don't know what to say other than if something bad happens and you lose your kids, then what are you going to do? Please consider what I'm saying. I never thought I'd be able to go through another day with out a drink and I'll have one year next month. I hope you find something out there to help you. My best wishes and prayers to you!!!!!!!
Old 09-21-2008, 06:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

if one can make time to drink you can make time to make a meeting . with that said .. WELCOME to SR .. were glad your here . your gonna find lots of great people who are in the same boat . and have lots to share bout there lifes . but again welcome to the family Mrs O:ghug3
Old 09-21-2008, 06:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hey, Jen...welcome to SR! :ghug2
Old 09-21-2008, 06:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hi and welcome to SR
Old 09-21-2008, 07:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome Jen...
You know you can quit because you did when you were pregnant
And you have again.

To stay quit...why not see if there is a noon AA meeting
that you could attend on your lunch break?

I liked one at 7 a.m. ...and there are others around 5 p.m.
Not all meetings are at 8 There are also on line meetings.

8 days is a good start...Well Done!
Blessings to you and your family
Old 09-21-2008, 10:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
God's Kid

Hi Jen. Welcome to SR. 8
Old 09-21-2008, 11:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi there!

You sound a little like me! I also had (have?) a major problem with drink - I spent my eldest duaghters life ina haze of alcohol and regret that so much. It wasn't too different for my second child's first few years to be honest. I have lost friends, lost jobs, lost my mind my money and my dignity along the way, and the only way I've been able to stop is to tell myself that it cannot happen again. It's hard, really hard but you can do it.

Personlly, I've chosen not to go to AA but that's just my decsion. Everyone has to do it differently, but once you know you have to do it, then you will!

good luck

sas xxx
Old 09-21-2008, 11:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Smile New too

Hi Jen

I'm new here too and scared to death! I hope it all works out for us. At least you have eight days up your sleeves. I'm only starting today and hoping that I have the willpower to do it.

Good Luck
Old 09-22-2008, 12:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

becstarr.....Welcome!

It's always a wise move to see your doctor
before abruptly quitting. Have you considered that?

Keep posting...we do understand
Old 09-22-2008, 01:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, this is a safe and informative site.

Carol has a good point, if you haven't already, talk to a Dr.

Next, you say that you have not been successful in the past so the question is, what are you going to do differently now? This site is a good start, is there anything else such as AA, treatment, or some other recovery program that you intend to try?

Just food for thought, welcome and keep posting.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congratulations on your 8 days sober, and welcome to a loving and supportive place. Instead of thinking you can never drink again, concentrate only on Today. Just don't drink for today. And since we can only live our lives one day at a time, stay sober one day at a time.

I too used to hate the thought of never drinking again, but now that I'm sober 71 days and feeling so much better, it doesn't bother me nearly as much.

Welcome to the site! Lots of good folks here with lots of experience, strength, and hope. Come here for support if you get the craving to drink.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Welcome!!
Congratulations on 8 days!
I am also a businesswoman, a wife, a mother, etc.
I am incredibly busy and even more so now that I am sober!
I had to make sobriety a priority because if I didn't I would not have anything else.
I make 4 meetings a week now (I have 4 1/2 months) and I am very blessed because my husband has been very supportive.
I love my life today and I am happier now than I have been in a decade!