new here

Old 09-19-2008, 08:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy new here

Hi, am new here. My 22 year old son is a alcoholic. He started drinking when he was in high school. He has started going to AA meetings, has been going now for 5 days. What I would like to ask something. When a person stops drinking, do they go thru withdraw symptoms? What I have read online about it, I have not seen any signs of my son going thru any kind of withdraw. It just makes me think that he is still drinking. Could I be right about this? I really need to know!! Thank You for any help
Old 09-19-2008, 08:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

how much has he been drinking and how often?

this will predict how severe the withdrawal is. also, he is really young and sometimes that lessens the symptoms. he may be going through them and you cant notice. the symptoms are shakiness and anxiety and upset stomache - people can hide withdrawal symptoms well especially if they are mild...
Old 09-19-2008, 08:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

He drinks alot. We have come to really hate the weekends. He has already been involved in a accident that was his fault, drinking and driving. Thank God the other people involved will recover. He got 2 DUI from that and this past weekend he was in jail for another DUI, no accident this time. He has some empty bottles in his room, they were there from the time he had the accident. We feel that he does drink alot. I am at my wits end with all this, and have no idea what to do.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Baby steps with ABF

I can't answer your question, but I wish you lots of strength!

Last edited by Kimmieh; 09-19-2008 at 09:32 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 09-21-2008, 07:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I really need to know!!

This sentiment probably drives more people crazy than any other! It leads to snooping and spying and provoking and trash diving and misery. It makes YOU sick.

Why do you need to know? What does he say when you ask him?
All you can do is either believe him or not. If you do not believe him that's OK - trust yourself- you know him well enough. And respond appropriately.

Is he in any kind of recovery program? If he is then you just have to step back and let it be ALL HIS OWN to manage. It is the only way.

In fact it is the only way with everything where the alcoholic is concerned. We that love them simply must step off and let them face all the consequences of their addiction. It is the most loving thing we can do. It doesn't have to be mean. It just has to be firm and consistent. When we step off completely and stop all enabling behavior we are offering the best and most powerful help. It will still only be up to them if they want sobriety/recovery. However much the world sees that they need it -- it really does not matter until they want/need it themselves.

Hardtime: You didn't Cause it.
You can't Control it.
You can't Cure it.

Believe it.

Can you try AlAnon or some other counseling for families of addicts/alcoholics? It might help you learn some tools to help yourself with the anxiety and despair you must be feeling. Many wise folks on here will be along soon to give you good advice - including many many parents on here who have walked in your shoes...hang in there.

(((hugs)))
peace,
B.