starting out with deep breaths

Old 07-19-2003, 01:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sil
Paused

starting out with deep breaths

I’m new to this. I have been dating an addict for 4 yrs, going on 5. For the 1st year and a half I had no clue. Then I found out he had a problem, and suffered for another year and a half. After going to rehab, he has now been sober for a year. I guess what I’m trying to find is some peace for myself. I love my boyfriend very much and with him sober, life has been good, although we went through a lot to get to where we are now. I plan to continue our journey together. The hardest thing is realizing that after he got sober and dealt with his demons I was left open. Since the attention is off him, I have come to realize that I myself have a lot of issues from my past left to deal with. I also have some low self-esteem and probably some codependency issues. I tried to go to 2 different Alanon groups, but stopped going because I felt like I couldn’t relate. Everyone in my area that attends is older then I am, I am 24, and it made me feel like I didn’t fit in. I just want to find someone young to talk to.
Old 07-19-2003, 03:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
believer

Hi Sil and welcome!

I could have written just about every word of your post. I have been exactly where you are and it's great that you're starting to recognize you may have some issues that need addressing.

Check out the power posts on the top of the Al-anon and Nar-anon boards. They contain a lot of excellent info. Also, don't give up on going to meetings. It took me a while before I could find a group I felt comfortable with and could relate to.

Take care and keep coming back!

Hugs,
JG
Old 07-20-2003, 07:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi SIL
don't ya give up! if one group doesnt work for you another might.
I wish I would of known about alanon yrs ago when I was raising
my children however it took a major jolt to wake me up to know I needed it ! If you are fortunate to know you need a recovery program then the best yrs. are yet to come.
We have a girl 17 at one of my meetings and another 23 and ready to be married, we relate and I love them dearly, we learn
so much from one another that age is irrelevent. We are all just trying to get well and live a happier life then we knew before.
The program works if you let it Sil.
Hugs
liddy