Health Insurance in Recovery

Old 09-17-2008, 07:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Health Insurance in Recovery

Hello SR Friends- I was wondering if anyone has any experience buying health insurance while in rehab.

My son age 23 is in an extended program now, waiting for a bed in a sober living home.

Due to his circumstances he withdrew from college before classes actually began this month- therefore no longer eligible under our health insurance.

COBRA is an option but found out today the cost is $500/month.

There are quite a few short term health plans available on internet- high deductible but up to $2M coverage.

The ones I've looked at though ask several questions and one always is whether the person has been diagnosed/treated with alcoholism. I haven't proceeded truthfully after this point because who knows what database the information will end up on.

Does anyone know if you answer YES to that question does that disqualify one for the insurance?

Any ideas from anyone on how to approach this? Anyone work for a health insurance co?
Old 09-17-2008, 10:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((Snickers))

I don't think it disqualifies him, but I do think the premiums are higher. It's a risk, just like smoking cigarettes, as far as they're concerned.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 09-18-2008, 08:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I had to buy health insurance for my then 22 yo old son, I found I had to take the COBRA option because other plans would not allow me to purchase a policy for him when I had that option. It made no sense to me since the COBRA option was like 5 times more expensive but that was what I was told. The only option I had, which I took, was to buy the health insurance available thru his university.

Legally, health insurance other than COBRA option may be able to exclude any preexisting condidition for a period of 1 yr I believe.

Not giving the complete truth can be a valid reason for an insurance company to drop the policy.