Hello and thank you

Old 09-17-2008, 03:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello and thank you

Hello. I recently posted for the first time on another thread and thought I would introduce myself since I've actually been "lurking" for over a year.

Although I think it's tremendously sad that I've been lurking so long I've learned so much this past year from everyone's experiences and I just want to say thank you. You will never know how much your experiences and advice on other threads has helped me. I was pretty blind and naive about alcoholism and what was going on when I found SR.

I am still trying to decide whether to stay with the alcoholic in my life or go but this website literally saved my sanity. I can't tell you how many times I've come here just about to lose my mind and after reading the wise posts of so many people here I know I can get through this.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Might I suggest that RUN....don not walk but RUN....its not worth it.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Tryingtobefree,
Welcome! I lurked for a really long time too, and I was often struck by how many posts I could have written. There is so much wisdom here and people in all phases of recovery who have chosen many different paths. Can't wait to get to know you better!
Old 09-17-2008, 07:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you. I just went to my second al-anon meeting tonight because of the advice I've read here and I think it's going to help me. I think I struggle so much with the choice of stay or go because he's a binge drinker and so things aren't horrible all the time.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome

I first started visiting here in Oct. 2003 when I was totally overwhelmed with increasingly outrageous behavior from my AH. Like many others when they first seek out this forum, I was angrier and more distraught than I had ever been in my entire life ... which is saying something considering I had been married to an alcoholic for decades. The mind games, lying, blaming and denial were overwhelming and there was no one else I knew that would understand the unique problems facing those living with alcoholics.

After one visit to SR, I felt a sense of calm and validation from seeing the many stories that mirrored my own. All of a sudden I began understand that these strange behaviors were symptoms of alcohol addiction .... not some unique character flaws of my husband. I finally stopped trying to reason with an active alcoholic and I stopped feeling guilty for refusing to live with him anymore ... and I finally felt validated in my choice to no longer tolerate such disruptive behavior in my home.

As you commented, there is a wealth of knowledge here that can only come from those that have lived with an active alcoholic. I honestly believe unless you have lived with an alcoholic .... one cannot truly understand the unique challenges we must face.

Keep coming back ... hopefully the information you find here will help you decide which path is best for you.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Tryingtobefree welcome to SR,

this site has been a huge source of experience, strength and hope for me I know it will be for you too!

Originally Posted by Seeking Wisdom View Post
...there is a wealth of knowledge here that can only come from those that have lived with an active alcoholic. I honestly believe unless you have lived with an alcoholic .... one cannot truly understand the unique challenges we must face..
This is sooooo true! People think they understand, but they cannot possibly. This is what makes SR such a fantastic place!

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 09-19-2008, 05:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I couldn't agree with you more. This site has saved my sanity too. I would like to thank everyone too.:ghug3

I could have written your post.

Chris