Notices

I miss my old routine

Old 09-17-2008, 11:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy I miss my old routine

I miss my old routine. I could be upset about something and after seeing my friends and having a few fake drinks I felt fine. I've been on house arrest for ten days and not seeing my friends is hard. Dealing with everything on my own and alone is exhausting. Last night I thought I was craving a drink but I think I really miss my bars and pool games and even the fake mocktails. Just seeing my friends and letting them make me laugh, all of it. I miss it all. I bartend one day a week but it's for people I don't really know and it's not the same as sitting down in a familiar place with familiar faces, soggy coasters and broken bar stools. I miss it all. And work is getting me down today. The other people in my office are mean to me and I just want out of here. Their meanness is difficult for me to deal with sober. They made me cry the other day and there's nothing I can do about it. Frustration is one emotion my sober brain can't grasp yet. I just turn into a puddle of tears. oh well.

August78
Old 09-17-2008, 12:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Its hard dealing with change.

As far as coworkers being mean to you.

There is something you can do. Give it right back!
If you let them treat you like that. They will continue to do so.
No different than a bully in school.

A quote from my page..." Stand up for what you believe in..Even if your voice shakes and you stand alone."

Dont let people treat you like that.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi August, I can't imagine staying sober in a bar, but I'm not you and that was not what you posted about, so I'll be good and keep my mouth (fingers?) quiet about it.
As far as working with mean people, I know exactly how you feel. I never know when the witches at work will pop off with something nasty or do something just plain rude. Chiynita is right, in my book. We have to stand up to them. I don't want to be like them, so I try not to say anything rude back, but I do try to stand up for myself, and this is new and very stressful for me. One of the witches, the business office lady, walked in while I was in the middle of a volunteer interview and told me I had forgotten to clock in that morning and threatening to get me written up over it. She is NOT my boss and has no authority over me at all, and she said it in a very rude manner and mean tone of voice. I went to her and told her that what she did was totally inappropriate and that if she ever did anything like that again I would be on the phone to Human Resources before she could get out of my office. I started crying while I said it, which sucked big time, but I'm still proud of myself for saying it! I'm also stressed to the max and craving a drink. But not having a drink, so I'm still glad I did it. I've been an easy target for too long because I have had no self-esteem and little courage. But that will be changing now! I just hope I don't go overboard and will try not to.
Hugs to you! I know how it feels to be bullied. It sucks!!!! I also come home alone and spend my evenings alone unless I go to AA, so I know how that feels, too. This site helps a lot, and phoning someone helps, too. And having a pet.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi August,

I could never have stayed sober working in a bar, either, but I hope it works for you.

Early sobriety is a time of change. For me, there were many things I had to change - some I wanted to change, and others I didn't, but I needed to. If you are feeling lonely and your friends are at a bar, maybe you could think of something different to do. Could you meet them for coffee, or go for a jog, or try some new volunteer work?
Old 09-17-2008, 04:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was thinking maybe your friends could come to your house...that wouldn't break the house arrest rules would it???? As long as they don't bring alchohl?

Also wanted to mention that when I got sober the first time I was changed to a bartender position within 2 days...not a choice...boss did to cut costs...and I did it for 9 months and stayed sober...it wasn't too bad...I read alot of spiritual books when the bar was empty and actually enjoyed making the drinks when we were busy.

Do you read? That can always help along with friends at SR...try chat some nite
Old 09-17-2008, 05:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would think working as a bartender could be kinda helpful in a way especially if you have the will to stay sober(i couldnt do it)watching the drunks make asses out of themselves would make you steer clear lol. Sorry you are feeling down maybe you could invite your friends over for a game night and movie night, if they are true friends they wont have a problem with that at all big hugs and god bless!
Old 09-18-2008, 01:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for the great advice! I have noticed that my self esteem is better and I've been standing up for myself alot more at work. I think that's why some of my co owrkers are treating me like poo. I used to be their doormat. But no more!!! I think the reason being at my favourite bars is working for me is because I haven't changed anything to drastically except for the alcohol part. My drinks look the same and my everyday scene is the same so it's almost like tricking my self and at the same time staying in my comfort zone. I HAVE noticed that the drunk people making fools of themselves are probably reflections of how I used to act and that scares the urge to drink right out of me. Thank you all for your positivity, I always feel better after I post how I feel! Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!

Paula