OT - good news?

Old 09-16-2008, 07:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT - good news?

Most of you know of my legal issues, but for those who don't, here's what's been going on.

I was an RN, started on crack on Thur. and Sat. took some narcs from work, for a friend, and was caught. I was charged with obtaining controlled substances by fraudulent means and theft by taking.

Since I had no criminal record, I was put on a first-offender program, meaning that if I complete probation, I would not have a felony. I DID violate, when I didn't show up for probation (too busy smoking crack), and was locked up for almost 6 months.

However, PO says that was not enough to convert my charges to felony.

Found out, earlier this year, that my record shows "convicted felon"...PO sent paperwork, trying to get it straightened out. She also urged me to get a lawyer and get off probation early, because of how well I've done.

I hired a lawyer, 4-1/2 months ago, from that area...he was a friend from my old AA home group. Have been on his a$$ since then, and I guess he finally got tired of me calling.

Yesterday, he filed a motion to get me off probation and to have my record corrected. I have a court date for Oct. 23. However, he talked to the DA, who told him that if my PO puts it in writing, that she recommends my probation be terminated early, he will honor it and we won't have to go to court (I'm on probation 'til Feb 2010). He also talked to someone about the felony, who told him that he needs to contact the GBI (GA Bureau of Investigations) and tell them they have made a mistake and they need to correct it.

SOOOO, it looks like I will soon be off probation AND will not have a felony to follow me around the rest of my life. I had fully prepared for having the felony, and accepted it, but I'm pretty excited to NOT be a felon

I have been looking for other jobs, in the medical field, but figured this felony thing would be a big problem. Once this is all taken care of, I can contact the board of nursing (BON) and begin to work on reinstatement of my license (they told me to take care of legal issues first).

Can't believe it, but it looks like my last legal hurdles are about to be tackled

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 09-16-2008, 08:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your good news!
You are proof that good things happen to those who continue to do the next right thing. Thanks for sharing the light of your recovery here. You are an inspiration to so many!
Old 09-16-2008, 08:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

Thats great news Amy.. I'm so happy that things are starting to look up for you...
Old 09-16-2008, 09:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations! I'm sure it's been hard to keep your confidence up with all that's gone on in your past but it sounds like you are well on your way!

It's so inspirational to us that have loved ones in all kinds of legal trouble that there is light at the end of the tunnel!

What a gift not to have that "felon" label for the rest of your life...it's like a whole new beginning.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wonderful news Amy!! I am so happy for you! You truly deserve the good things that are coming your way, you're a blessing.

Many, many more great things ahead.

love ya
susan
Old 09-16-2008, 10:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Amy
thank you so much for sharing your journey - it is awesome!!

as always praying your HP's best for you

Love & HUGS,
Rita
Old 09-16-2008, 11:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

that is absolutely wonderful. you deserve it. you have tackled the dragon & you are a winner. things will work out i can feel it. prayers,
Old 09-16-2008, 11:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great news - I've worked with recovering nurses for some years - in a nurse/medical advocacy group - this is truly amazing. It just never happens.

(And I'm from Georgia!)

Love in recovery,
Jody Hepler

Old 09-16-2008, 11:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Amazing what happens in recovery! that's really good news.

Once your license is reinstated, however, , you may still have the issue showing up in a criminal background check. That happened to me when all the nursing jobs in my state (NJ) started running routine criminal background checks for all RN's. Now get this - I was charged with 4 felonies in '91. All charges were dismissed at the time - i was not convicted of anything. HOWEVER - the arrests showed up in criminal background checks a few years ago and I could not get a nursing job anywhere!!!!! It did not matter that I was never even convicted of any crimes. The arrests and the CHARGES (which were hideous, including aggrivated assault) showed up and nobody wanted to touch me. I wound up having to pay a lawyer to have all the records expunged. now nothing shows up, thank God. I'm not sure if that is what you are paying yours to do, but you might want to include 'expungment' if you aren't already.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow, this is fantastic news, Amy! Thanks for sharing it with us!
Old 09-16-2008, 11:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

...I am so tickled for you Amy!
Old 09-16-2008, 11:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

How wonderful all that is. You must feel like you're on cloud nine. I'm so happy for your good news.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Amy, Good for you. My husband had refused induction into the army in 1974 (Vietnam War). They tried him as a youthful offender and he was given probation and community service. President Carter later pardoned him and others. He thought that his record was clean until he went to apply for a handgun permit last year and found out he had a felony. It has taken him almost a year and a lot of writing to various courts, calls to the FBI and our State Senator, but finally it was taken off his record. So don't give up if it takes some time and a lot of calls, etc. Hugs, Marle
Old 09-16-2008, 12:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Amy. I am *thrilled* for you...you truly deserve...I am so proud of you...I want to add my prayers that there is a spot waiting for your skills, compassion and understanding, in the medical community.... Grateful
Old 09-16-2008, 12:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

wooo hoooo !

Good stuff happens.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Amy,
I am so happy for you and it is wonderful to see that good things do happen to someone who cares and trys to make things right, and it happens! It gives others here lots of hope and reason to keep fighting. ((((((hugs)))))))
Old 09-16-2008, 01:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

THAT is WONDERFUL news Amy!!!!!!! Thank you for sharing

WOOT WOOT!!!!!!
Old 09-16-2008, 03:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

(((Amy)))
That is truly good news.

At my hospital, the last few years before I retired, (quite young I must add ) I worked in Pre Admission testing. One day, an R.N. from the E.R. popped in and was put on our staff. She was convicted of stealing Morphine from the E.R. and could only work in a NO drug zone. Which was my dept.

She's still working there as to this day.

This is good news for you. Keep us informed as to what the Board of Nursing says, okay?

Hugs and hugs...
Old 09-16-2008, 03:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
cmc

Amy...
That's terrific news! I'm so happy for you!!
Old 09-16-2008, 04:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Professional Hanger On'er

Hi Amy GOOD FOR YOU! Do you want to go back to nursing? I am a nursing director for a small hospital and I am surprised your hospital did not have a program that would allow a first offender to complete the terms of their probation, with the hospitals assistance, and return to work. No such luck, huh?

Anyway, I hope you are very proud of yourself because you deserve it!