Notices

What do you call this? A relapse? A slip?

Old 09-15-2008, 06:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What do you call this? A relapse? A slip?

Hi,

I'm an alcoholic with two and a half years sober.

The other night at a club I tried some hash. The buzz was almost identical to the feeling I get by smoking a cigarette after taking a few months off. I wasn't high, by any means.

That said, it is a mind-altering substance, and for some reason I decided to smoke it.

Here's my question: should this be considered a relapse, requiring a new dry date?

Though by no means am I taking this lightly -- it has given me a lot of pause regarding the state of my present recovery -- I am leaning toward no. Smoking it felt no different than smoking a cigarette, and I did not become intoxicated. Marijuana has never been my drug of choice.

Also, I have, for the past few years, smoked one cigarette per night to relax. Again, the buzz has been similar, if not identical, to the one I got with the hash. Has this been another crutch? If so, where does the line stop? I know a lot of smokers in recovery, and none of them count the thc in cigarettes toward their sobriety dates.

I've noticed that some people in recovery have both clean and dry dates. Should I add a clean date?

I shouldn't have let it happen, but I didn't take a drink, and I don't feel the need to erase my recognition of two and a half years of progress because of this. I also think such an action might do a lot more damage than good.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks,
Y
Old 09-15-2008, 06:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

An inside job

Only you can decide what recovery means for you. Looks like you are getting honest with yourself. Change your date, don't change your date, either way, you have to live with yourself, follow your consciousness. I will say this, if you were my sponsee and wanted to continue working with me, you would be picking up a 24 hour chip.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I can't run your recovery program for you, nor can I tell you what you "should or shouldn't" do. The only inventory I can take is my own. What you decide is totally up to you.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't think it matters whether or not you change your date...heck, we all only have today...but I think you should look into the WHY you smoked that. You went into it knowing that it was a mind-altering chemical...whether it worked for you or not isn't the point...it's the INTENT of why you did it.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dismember

It is what it is.

The rules of what counts for sobriety aren't really laid out anywhere.

I know that if I was in your position I wouldn't go about resetting a sobriety date. It's the substance that caused the problems in your life that made you obtain sobriety. I know personally I don't count my cigarettes and pints of ice cream as relapses or slips, even though both are mood-altering substances, the difference between them and alcohol is apples and jet planes.

I think just the fact that you have anxiety about this incident is probably reason enough not to do it again though.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You asked what would I call it so I'll answer. A slip. A wake up call. Time for a tune up? It's a personal decision.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I thought about what I would do if I smoked hash tonight. Hmmmm....I would probably keep my sobriety date the same, and add a new date for any mind altering substances.

I agree with what others said about asking yourself why you did this?

I am also worried about this triggering your alcoholism to wake up. I am concerned about you drinking down the line.

Hugs....
Old 09-15-2008, 09:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone, for your input.

There's no question I'll be taking a good hard look at myself to try and see what led up to this.

I've called my sponsor and told him about it. He said much of what you've written above. He'll be emailing me back soon to further our discussion (I'm currently out of the country, or I'd meet with him in person.)

I'll keep you updated.

Thanks again,
Y
Old 09-15-2008, 12:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Oh, my! Have the precepts of the AA program changed so much in the past 25 or so years? I don't think you're going to welcome my response...but, I would be dishonest with you and myself if I tried to sugar-coat it.

Your initial question was whether this would be considered a relapse or a slip. I personally wouldn't call it a "slip", since you made a conscious decision to try what you knew to be a mood-altering drug. It wasn't as though you accidentally picked up something thinking it was a regular cigarette (oh, I guess it would have to be a hand-rolled one...right?).

OK...so you didn't get "high"...just a slight "buzz". Suppose you had gotten high, and decided you liked it so much, you'd continue smoking hash!!? That definitely would be a "relapse".

You say "for some reason" you decided to smoke it. What could that reason possibly have been? Just curious? Just to see how it would make you feel? Whatever the reason, it was most certainly an error in judgement and playing with fire for an alcoholic.

I've noticed that some people in recovery have both clean and dry dates. Should I add a clean date?
I think these people are playing some kind of program roulette. So, you mean they celebrate the "clean" date in NA, and the "dry" date in AA? As Alice in Wonderland said, "Curiouser and curiouser!"

NOW, I'll tell you what I would do. With 28+ years of continuous sobriety, if I were suddenly struck stupid and decided to try smoking pot, I wouldn't have two dates; and my conscience wouldn't allow me not to change my sobriety date. But, you don't know me...and, you have a sponsor to advise you. Besides, I think you've already made up your mind on this, since you say you're "leaning toward no".

Let your conscience and your sponsor be your guide.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
sct

Hm. I can't speak for anyone other than myself. In my case- the program that I work only works for me if I abstain from all mind, and mood altering drugs. In my case, it would be a relapse, whether it worked or not.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I know people that smoke pot and it does'nt affect them like out of control.Drinking makes them get into legal troubles use harder drugs etc.I'm not saying use pot I'm saying some people can handle that and not other drugs.Your own inventory (honestly) will tell if you have an addictive personality to certain or all drugs.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

At one point I placed so much importance on my sobriety date, I took so much pride in it, a little too much pride to be honest. I later learned it wasn't the quanity it is the quality of my sobriety!! If I was having mental lapses it was time for me to get into action and in my case get to a meeting and start working with others!!!! :o)
Old 09-15-2008, 02:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'd call it ....time to change my DOS
and start again with Step 1.

I certainly ope you will do just that.
Welcome to SR....
Old 09-15-2008, 02:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi! After careful thought and consideration, I am changing my oppinion about this matter. I have a friend who took too much cough syrup and had to change her sobriety date and another one who took too many antidepressants even though they aren't mind-altering and had to change hers.

My vote, is since you knew that Hash is mind altering and you smoked it anyway so you should change your sobriety date. But I also agree that you should listen to your sponsor.

Good luck.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If you drank a beer last night and didn't get drunk or buzzed would you have to change your sobriety date?

My sponsor and a bunch of old-timers here in Ohio, say it doesn't matter what you use, if it is mind-altering and you know it is mind-altering and it is not prescribed by a doctor for a medical reason, it is a slip/relapse.

Just thought I would let you know what they said. Good luck!
Old 09-15-2008, 03:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

for me, the answer to that question is on the front of my 90 day coin...

good wishes yos

rz
Old 09-16-2008, 11:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

A drug is a drug, is a drug, is a drug...

Originally Posted by Jen042208 View Post
If you drank a beer last night and didn't get drunk or buzzed would you have to change your sobriety date?

My sponsor and a bunch of old-timers here in Ohio, say it doesn't matter what you use, if it is mind-altering and you know it is mind-altering and it is not prescribed by a doctor for a medical reason, it is a slip/relapse.

Just thought I would let you know what they said. Good luck!
Thanks, Jen...I'm relieved to know "the more things change, the more they stay the same", at least as far as relapse vs slip is concerned!
Old 09-16-2008, 02:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

When I quit drinking, I quit smoking pot, too. Pot never got me in trouble, (though it really should have, it is illegal and I was once stopped by a cop for an expired tag while I was smoking dope in the car. I swear it was like a Cheech n Chong movie when I rolled down the window but he didn't say a word about it! Sorry, that's another story), but it always, always, led me back to drinking. I know this from trying many times to 'just smoke pot'. I tried the 'marijuana maintenance program' so many times. But when I'm high, I can't really work a program, and can't think clearly enough to continue to abstain from alcohol. And for me, the confusion I feel when I smoke pot is so irritating that it does make me want to drink. Besides, it's really bad for me in other ways.
If I smoked some pot, even a tiny bit and didn't get high, I would have to start all over again.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Relapse takes place in our minds before we put any mind altering chemical in us. In our thinking.

Like Carol said.. Learn from it .. Start over .. and change your sobriety date.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

No intent to offend.....
Alcohol IS a drug...and so is Hash......you used, plain and simple. Now, it is up to you on how honest you want to get...the disease is cunning and we are only as sick as our secrets. IMHO

Cathy