Notices

I'm new here

Old 09-14-2008, 04:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm new here

Hi all,

Just joined SR today. I'm 55 years old and have been a private drinker for as long as I can remember. This is the first sober day I've had since my last sober day a couple of months ago. I seem to be doing this one day at a time, every two months or so. This has been a vicious circle and it is time to end it. I've spent most of the day lurking this forum. I think this place will help me and I hope to be of help to others here, as soon as my thinking clears up a little more. I know what I’m in for in the coming days. Been here before. Feeling hopeful.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome!

Addiction IS such a vicious circle and it's really hard to get off. But, you can do it, and we are here to offer support.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

NewDay: Welcome. I'm 63 and was also a closet drinker and everyday I would wake up and say "today I will not drink" but at 5:30 on my way home, there I was picking up a little something to keep me company "for tonight". It is a vicious circle and one that only you can break...but the good news is you don't have to do it alone!!! Welcome, and keep talking :chatter
Old 09-14-2008, 05:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad you're here. Take it as you can. Try not to drink and use what supports you need (as long as they aren't destructive/hurtful), but don't beat yourself up if you relapse. We've all been there, done that. All you can do is forgive yourself, get up, dust yourself off, and move forward--pretty much the key to life, imho.

Take care,

BMUS
Old 09-14-2008, 05:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

BTW, where exactly is Orange, VA? I went to school at James Madison and lived/worked in Woodstock (both off Rt. 81).
Old 09-14-2008, 05:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Congratulations on your decision, NewDay. It's particularly hard when we're "older" and it's been a lifelong habit and crutch. I know you can make it, and we'll be glad to help. Love, Joanie
Old 09-14-2008, 06:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

NDN, just keep, and never give up that ol'e hope!

i put the drink down at the age of 48, after a lifetime of abuse... it aint easy for us semi-oldies, just when we can keep it down, we stil have a load 'o life left to live, and give...

good wishes NDN

rust
Old 09-14-2008, 06:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

welcome
Old 09-14-2008, 07:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hi NewDay and welcome to SR, good to have another of our era here

Kevin
Old 09-14-2008, 07:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

NDN, you can stop drinking and stay sober. If I can make it, anyone can. We're here to help you travel on sobriety road. We keep each other clean and sober. This is a wonderful and loving community and due to the time zones, anytime you come here there will be lots of others here too. We'll share our experience, strength, and hope with you.

Keep moving forward, make a list of all the things you hate about alcohol and read it often. Come here and post when you need advice, support, and friendship.

Glad you found us!! Welcome !!!
Old 09-14-2008, 08:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I think this place will help me and I hope to be of help to others here, as soon as my thinking clears up a little more. I know what I’m in for in the coming days. Been here before. Feeling hopeful.

I'm glad you found us! You are already helping others by joining our World Wide Family of Support. Just as the newcomer needs to hear messages of hope, those of us with a few 24 hours need to be reminded of what it's like for us if we go back out.

I imagine what you meant by knowing what you're in for in the coming days is in reference to the withdrawals and early days of Recovery. We'll be here for you during those tough days, just as we'll be here for you throughout your Journey on a road that you only dreamed of. Now, I'm still very young, (lol) I'm only 46, but I used for 32 years before I finally surrendered and found peace and serenity in Recovery in July of '05. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

Keep it Simple . . . One Day at A Time,
Judy
Old 09-14-2008, 08:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I was never a private drinker ...I bet many bartenders in
D.C. wished I had been!...:brick

Depression is why I started AA at 48.
I actually quit when I was 52.

I can absolutely tell you the last 20 years
of my new life have been fantastic.

Please keep posting with us...we do understand
Welcome to our recovery community
Old 09-15-2008, 04:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all. This is a very good place for me right now.

Day two. Didn't get sick this time. No shakes. Havenot read all of the replies yet. Must go to work. I'll spend the day looking forward to this forum. It got me through last night
Old 09-15-2008, 06:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Originally Posted by NewDayNow View Post
I seem to be doing this one day at a time, every two months or so. This has been a vicious circle and it is time to end it.

Welcome NDN!

I know the feeling of the vicious circle. Like a student taking the same class over and over again with a failing grade each time.

I hope you come back tonight and get the support and information you need to escape the circle. I know I am determined to pass this class! My latest failing grade came after 30 days sober. I'm on day 22 now and learning from my mistakes.

:ghug3
Old 09-15-2008, 07:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

NDN: welcome!!! You might consider talking to a doctor about this, so that if any medical problems arise while detoxing, you can be safe during it.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi All,
Thank you for your responses. I'm still figuring this forum thing out. It may take some time before I seem as friendly as I actually am. I've made it through day two. I didn't get so sick this time. Hope that part is over.

I've never made it past a month and a half. But then I've only stopped a few times in the past 37 years. Determined this time. My controlling the booze fantasies are over.

I know the hard part is just around the corner. Don't want to get overly confident, just hopeful at this point.

Thank You All
Old 09-15-2008, 08:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Beammeupscotty-------
Orange is about twenty miles West of Fredericksburg ,Virginia on State Route 3
Old 09-15-2008, 08:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your decision and welcome!
Old 09-15-2008, 09:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome NewDay! These folks helped me enormously to get through the days (minutes at first).

Similar story here and nearly 30 years of drinking with a few lengthy interludes of sobriety. I finally realized this stuff had woven itself into every corner of my life and health, and I had to completely turn my back on alcohol. It's not for me...I can't touch it even a little bit. No weening, no thinking about drinking, nothing.

I can't be like "normal casual" drinkers (and I wonder about some who claim to be). I used to joke "Oh, I just drink for the effect haha.". That was more true than I realized at the time(s).

Welcome aboard, you are among friends who have all been through this. You can do it! ...because that's what it is!
Old 09-16-2008, 06:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks Skybusrt,

No head acke this morning. THoughts are racing around lile crazy. This forum is everything right no