Notices

Having a hard day

Old 09-12-2008, 12:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Having a hard day

Today is my "real" 2nd day. I have cut way back with the drinking but I hadn't stopped completely. My doctor started me on Lexapro for the anxiety a couple of days ago. I feel like I have the flu, I have the day off (thank goodness) but I can't motivate myself to get anything done, yet I can't calm down enough to take a nap. I don't have an appetite, so I haven't really eaten and so I couldn't drink coffee on an empty stomach this morning cuz I felt like throwing up, so now I have a headache. I feel like my head is going to pop off, but my body can't seem to get going. What do you do to get going? How long does this last? I thought because I had slowed down I wouldn't go through all this, or could it be the Lexapro?
Old 09-12-2008, 01:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When i start a new medication I call my dr. when i develop "symptoms".

So that might be a good starting point.

Of course...you may actually just happened to have gotten the flu too!

remember drinking will make it worse :ghug3
Old 09-12-2008, 01:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day 2!!!! You are on your way!!!

I went on an anti-depressent a few years ago and the doctor warned me that I would feel like I'd been hit by a truck for a few weeks and to not stop taking it. I had headaches, I was pooping constantly (too much info?? lol), I was exhausted, I couldn't sleep, I was nauseous, etc., etc.. You just need to ride it out, but also talk to your doctor if you're at all concerned!!!

A lot of feelings could also be your sheer awareness of what might be different, now that you've stopped drinking completely, plus being on the new medication.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmmm..
It sounds to me like withdrawal smptoms.
..Please go to our top sticky post
in Alcoholism for information.

Call your doctor if you are worried about the med.
I have no expereince to share about it.

Be gentle with yourself....This too shall pass.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, do call your doctor if the symptoms don't go away or if they get worse. If you're at day two without alcohol you're still in detox and your mind and body are screaming cause they're not used to being sober. You must ride it out until the alcohol is out of your body, but do talk to your doctor about this.

You can do this! :ghug3
Old 09-12-2008, 01:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Your body has lots of reasons to be p!ssed off! I hope you feel better soon.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No coffee or alcohol? I would have a killer headache. Need my morning cup of java and if not, I have to have a soda with some "get up and go" in it. Congratulations on going the 2 days. Its not easy. Like they say, I would call your doctor and ask if what you're feeling is normal. You won't ever have to go through this again.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice. I have no cravings at all for alcohol. I just want to feel normal! It makes me get very anxious and I just pace around the house getting nothing done which causes more anxiety!
Old 09-12-2008, 02:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hon, how do you know that what you're feeling isn't already "normal"? We've been medicated for so long that "normal" is the weird feeling for us now! I'm sure the physical symptoms will dissipate soon, but talk to your doc if you're worried. You're doing great, though!!!
Old 09-12-2008, 02:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My head-shrinker listened to me talk about my anxiety a couple days ago, as well as all the energy I'd put into keeping myself in denial about being an alcoholic, maintaining the drinking as well as relationships and school and crap (mostly the drinking though! lol). She mentioned that people work really hard at their addictions, and if you think about it, anxiety could be all that energy you used to put into the addiction just sitting on you, with you having no idea what to do with it. So you get anxious and pace around the house, or do like me and web surf at a frantic pace.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I too was plagued by enormous anxiety while withdrawing from alcohol. I was exhausted but couldn't sit or lie still for more than a minute. It does get better. Give yourself some time. Also try the 'relaxing' teas, like Sleepytime or Sleepytime Extra with valerian. Melatonin is supposed to help you sleep. All are natural substances and do not cause addiction.

All the best to you! You're on your way to a new sober life!
Old 09-12-2008, 04:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Exclamation Having a hard day is to be expected on your second...

day...you probably will be detoxing a few more days and then things will get more in proportion to your mood...anxiety can be hard if you do not understand what you are going through so look at the stickies above & what helped me was to write down questions I wanted to ask my doctor so I wouldn't forget. It is very difficult to understand what our bodies are going through and it does feel like the flu or anyway the symptoms seem almost the same as a flu coming on when you first start detoxing.

I have been taking Lexapro for about two years now & find it very helpful for me but all of us react differently to medications. I wish you luck. Keep coming back to read, post, or just leave a note telling us how you are doing.

kelsh
Old 09-12-2008, 05:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I used to read, walk sleep when I could go and see other members, go to meetings it helped, it works.

Kevin
Old 09-12-2008, 09:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 09-12-2008, 09:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
getting there

Eclipse,
I've been on two different anti-depressants and (not a doctor here) what you're experiencing sounds similar to my experiences when my body was getting used to them. There were a couple of weeks after I started each of mine that I felt really weird in all sorts of ways - apparently it's because the chemicals the drugs work on are everywhere in our bodies, not just in the brain. They're all different and have different impacts on everybody so nobody can predict what they will do to any one person. I would contact your doctor to confirm this, of course.

Also in combination with coming off the alcohol your body is making an awful lot of adjustments! Hope you start to feel better.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Today is day 3 and I actually feel lots better. I still feel a little nauseous but not as much, still can't really drink the coffee which is NOT good! I slept much better last night, but still got up really early with anxiety.

I have to drive 3 hours today to go to my uncles 80th b-day party and this will be a test, although I feel strongly that I will be fine. I know I will be offered a glass of wine and I'm trying to think of the excuses I will use to not drink. I think I am going to say I am on a diet and can't have alcohol for 2 weeks! None of my extended family knows of my issues and I don't plan to mention it today!

I have no cravings at all for alcohol, (I am sure this will change in the future) and in fact I went to the store last night and I usually park near the doors closest to the wine aisle, but as I was walking out of the store I noticed that I had parked near the other doors and when I was in the store I did not even think about wine. It was a really weird realization. Lots probably contributes to the fact that I don't feel well, but I was still shocked!
Old 09-13-2008, 07:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Eclipse...you'll do great today at the party!! Plus, you have a great "excuse" already for not drinking...you drove!
Old 09-13-2008, 07:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

All of this sounds like withdrawals. I have experienced all of that when I don't drink. So it's your body and brain freaking out because it's not getting it's alcohol like it's used to getting. It will get better as time goes on. Healing and improvements are happening each day even though you might not notice them.

You're on your way to healing now.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Another thing I've noticed that has added to my anxiety is the things that aren't getting done around the house. It is clean on the surface, but I have been walking around and getting disgusted with some of the things that haven't been getting done cuz I was too busy drinking. Like cleaning out closets, wiping down walls, washing windows, deep cleaning the bathrooms. Now I am in a panic cuz I really see what I need to do and now I just have to calm down and tell myself that it didn't get this way overnight and it ain't gonna change overnight. I guess I will just make a list of things I need to do and plug along...sorry I am venting. It makes me feel better. Maybe my new obsession will be a really clean house, better than a hangover anytime!
Old 09-13-2008, 09:30 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Lol...oh, Eclipse, I wish I could get obsessed with cleaning the house! Ya know what, though, when the house IS cleaned, it feels soooo good....almost like a clean slate for my mind, too. Calming, almost. I'll start my list, you start yours, and let's both tackle those dust bunnies!