Notices

So Much Anger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-11-2008, 06:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So Much Anger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Help! I am angry all the time and I don't know what to do! Since I got sober in April, EVERYTHING makes me angry. I feel like I want to punch someone or something like 24 hours a day!

This feeling of anger is very uncomfortable. WHAT SHOULD I DO? I have worked the 12 steps up to step 7. I am still working on them, but the anger is not getting better.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Have you tried CBT?
Old 09-11-2008, 06:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One thing that helps me with my emotions is to acknowledge them...not try so much to shut them down, but to not feed the feeling thoughts either...everytime I say something negative that make's it worse...stop..recenter on something else...doesn't much matter what, and move on....the anger may come back, but if I don't feed the thoughts and focus on something else it does go away again...plus i have to try to understand what the cause of the anger is and how to deal more directly with that problem if possible.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Try journalling, Jen.

I was surprised how much it helped when I wrote down all the feelings. It was hard to do, but it really helped to lift the weight of the emotion.

It also helped me to recognize that a lot of my anger was really directed at myself. I was angry that I was an alcoholic, I was angry that I wasn't the person I had thought I was, I was angry that I had made so many mistakes. Acknowledging the anger was the beginning of forgiving myself.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

It might be time to see outside help such as counseling. As you learn to apply the Steps in your life it will help with what you are going through but you may have more going on than just the alcoholism. It might be worth checking out.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't know what your life (now) is like, but have you considered counseling? I've had emotional problems for most of my adult, and seeing my counselor every two weeks helps me stay somewhat grounded.

I'd investigate the possibility of seeing a counselor. So much anger has to come from somewhere and a counselor can help you find out why you're so angry.

I'm glad your anger isn't causing you to go back to drinking. But do consider counseling to figure out what is causing the anger, and help you to come to terms with it.

:ghug3
Old 09-11-2008, 07:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks! Several of my friends told me that I should seek counseling for my anger too, so I have my first appt. Sept. 22nd.

I have also heard that journaling helps. Guess I should start that too. :-)
Old 09-11-2008, 07:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Turning it all around

Yes Jen,

The key to your emotions is understanding. A counselor can help you to understand.

"ulcers are not a result of what we eat, they're a result of what's eating us!"

Prayers
Old 09-11-2008, 07:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Punch something or do something physical - get that energy out!!! Journaling is great afterwards. I never know how I feel unless I put it on paper. I'm usually shocked.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

something not someone!!!
Old 09-11-2008, 08:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh....I dunno Kathleen....LOL (kidding, kidding)
Old 09-11-2008, 08:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Something I learned a long the way .. not to put any expectations on anybody or anything, that way I can't get angry or hurt if they are not met. Took along time for me to learn that.

I see your in AA .. so maybe a suggestion from the 11th step..

"As we go through the day we pause, when agitated or doubtful, and ask for the right thought or action. We constantly remind ourselves we are no longer running the show, humbly saying to ourselves many times each day "Thy will be done." We are then in much less danger of excitement, fear, anger, worry, self-pity, or foolish decisions. We become much more efficient. We do not tire so easily, for we are not burning up energy foolishly as we did when we were trying to arrange life to suit ourselves."

Quote taken from Alcoholics Anonymous First Edition.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Just don't kick the dog...

Old 09-11-2008, 08:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by AW2486 View Post
Something I learned a long the way .. not to put any expectations on anybody or anything, that way I can't get angry or hurt if they are not met.
That's similar to the ABC's of CBT. Here's a tutorial if you're interested, Jen.

SMART ABC Tutorial