A New Realization

Old 09-10-2008, 07:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

A New Realization

I'm in a rut..again. I do that from time to time. I'm trying very hard to put my finger on it, so I can work through it.

I'm not in a good place regarding my profession. People dragging their feet as to what I do now and in the future and its driving me batty. I am NOT good at limbo.

Then I realized, thats why I struggle with dealing with my son. He has his ups and downs. He's not the maniacal out of control type, in fact he manages to skirt the surface for long periods, but impending doom is only a short stumble away.

I know this, so I try very hard to practice the "stay in today" school of thought. But then, I find myself not able to plan or prepare for things I enjoy most such as family gatherings, holidays, time with family etc.

Its limbo...pure and simple. And as mentioned, I don't do so well with limbo (hmmm, think thats a bit controlling and CODIE?)

I imagine many of you that have an addicted partner feel this ten fold.

Starting tomorrow, I WILL enjoy the good that life brings.

I will smile at the stranger I pass on the street
I will enjoy the weather before winter takes hold.
I will wear something to work I haven't in a while, and feel GOOD in it

I will take a moment to apologize to my co-worker for being such a Pissant lately...I may even bring donuts.

I'll worry about next week, next week
Old 09-10-2008, 07:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

so I try very hard to practice the "stay in today" school of thought. But then, I find myself not able to plan or prepare for things I enjoy most such as family gatherings, holidays, time with family etc.

Cece, I had a hard time with that stay in today v. planning for the future sometimes too. I thought I shouldn't make plans because then it lead to expectations. But I have found there is a difference. I like to have something to look forward to, so thinking about or planning the types of things you mention above to me is part of living my life - part of living in today, because today I can plan for something fun in the future but not expect that everyone is going to fall in line and make it the picture perfect event I had in mind. I am comfortable now with throwing it out there and not getting angry if one or more of my loved ones backs out or gets up on the wrong side of the bed or whatever...(well most times anyway - progress not perfection )

I guess I've decided looking to the future to lay the foundation for good things is fine...it's projecting the fear and the worry and the fretting for what may happen in the future that gets me in trouble.

I like your approach to tomorrow..Finding the things to feel grateful for in each day always helps me to project a more postive face. Enjoy! Yeah, it sounds like a donut day!
Old 09-10-2008, 07:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Ah...yes expectations is my middle name.

That adds another great piece to the puzzle. I struggle with disappointment brought on by my own expectations often...too often. Take away the expectations, viola!

Thank you for reminding me (((Greet))) "Grasshappa" understands! lol
Old 09-11-2008, 12:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

cece

Thanks for your post. I've been feeling the same way - waiting for news about my neice which drags on.

I thought it might be sadness, I tried the "stay in the moment" thing too - yoga, walking the dogs, etc.

Finally, I just got out of the house.

I'm not out of my funk yet, but I'm hoping if I just keep looking for light and beauty, maybe the fog will clear.

Or - maybe it's just the change of season and the days getting darker. In any case, I feel you... and I like your suggestions.. I think I'll try them also.