Notices

Ready to live the Sober life but am truly lost

Old 09-10-2008, 12:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Ready to live the Sober life but am truly lost

im ready to live the sober life now more than ever but i am scared to death and dont know where to start. help!!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2008, 12:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Tried an AA meeting yet? Are you willing to do whatever it takes to achieve sobriety? Do you have a plan for your recovery? Lots of things to consider, keep poking around this website and you'll learn the many different ways that we stay clean and sober.

Welcome to SR SoberLife, stick around and enjoy recovery!
Old 09-10-2008, 01:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

:ghug3

Welcome to SR. Keep reading and post when you need to. You can do it if you want it badly enough. This is coming from someone that drank EVERY night for the last 5 years and couldn't imagine that ever changing. It did and the people here have really helped. Sober since May 13, 2008. Not a longtimer and not a newcomer. I'm kind of an inbetweener.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Smile

Originally Posted by SoberLifeFoMe View Post
im ready to live the sober life now more than ever but i am scared to death
Me too! I came on here at the beginning of the month. Went to my first AA meeting because I noticed from reading that a lot of the people who had stayed sober a long time were going to AA. It's helped me, all of this, and for the first time in ages I don't feel hopeless!! Still got a long, long way to go, but you will get help here.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Start with the Yellow Pages. Find Alcoholics Anonymous. Call the phone number and ask about finding a meeting. Go to the meeting. Tell the people at the meeting that you are new to recovery. They will be really happy that you are there. They will give you a book and phone numbers. Get a meeting schedule and fine a meeting for the next day. Go to the meeting and keep repeating this process. Go to 90 meetings in 90 days and if you aren't happy after 90 days, I will gladly refund your misery. :-)

Good Luck! One Day at a Time!
Old 09-10-2008, 03:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...
Old 09-10-2008, 03:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome and keep comming back!!! Today is my 60th day sober (thanks in part to a DUII, but whatever it takes I guess)....I never expected to ever be sober more than a few hours!!!! And AA does work...It's a safe place, just like it is here!!!! talk and listen....and dont drink just for today
Love, xxoxoxoxoxo Rach
Old 09-10-2008, 06:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Seems like you've already started by asking for support and advice here. Depending on how long or how much you drank, detoxing can be dangerous. Do you have a doctor you could talk to about this? Being supervised medically while detoxing is a good move. Do you have a friend or family member who could stay with you for the first few days?

I am glad you're here and trying to make your life better and less complicated. I've been relapsing since first deciding to stop drinking last December. My last day one was 59 days ago, so I guess I'm getting better at sober living!
Old 09-10-2008, 07:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

support

I am new too and finding a lot of support and wisdom here and at meetings; you have taken the first step, asking for help; glad your here
Old 09-10-2008, 07:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

SoberLifeFoMe -

I can relate. In fact, a lot on here have been in your shoes. It's something you have to dive into: the deep end. Make a plan: meetings, schedule, this website, activities, etc. You don't have to do anyone else way. Try to think of what will work for you. Also, this saying that is so simple has greatly helped me: One day at a time. In the beginning especially I thought of it as an "experiment." Just try it today and re evaluate tomorrow. In fact I still get through some evenings that way. A lot of mind games help. Past things you have done: I wrote down all the stupid/rotten/scary/irresponsible things I had done. Sometimes I look at it and it helps. Sometimes it's doesn't. I have another saying on my fridge: when I controlled my drinking I did not enjoy my drinking. When I enjoyed my drinking I could not control it. A light beam went on. The curtains and open and shut for me all the time. Make a date and try it out. Get through one day without drinking and go from there is my advice.

Oh....and welcome!!! I look forward to seeing your posts and progress beating this diesease. Many have.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hey, Life! Welcome to SR! This is a good place to start if you are looking for information. There are various groups you can try. I don't know much about all that...what I'm doing right now is using SR. Find whatever works for you.