Language of Letting Go - Sept. 9 - Perspective

Old 09-09-2008, 04:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - Sept. 9 - Perspective

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Perspective

Too often, we try to gain a clear perspective before it is time.

That will make us crazy.

We do not always know why things are happening the way they are. We do not always know how a particular relationship will work out. We do not always understand the source of our feelings, why we've been led down a particular path, what is being worked out in us, what we are learning, why we needed to recycle, why we had to wait, why we needed to go through a time of discipline, or why a door closed. How our present circumstances will work into the larger scheme of events is not always clear to us. That is how it needs to be.

Perspective will come in retrospect.

We could strain for hours today for the meaning of something that may come in an instant next year.

Let it go. We can let go of our need to figure things out, to feel in control.

Now is the time to be. To feel. To go through it. To allow things to happen. To learn. To let whatever is being worked out in us take its course.

In hindsight, we will know. It will become clear. For today, being is enough. We have been told that all things shall work out for good in our life. We can trust that to happen, even if we cannot see the place today's events will hold in the larger picture.

Today, I will let things happen without trying to figure everything out. If clarity is not available to me today, I will trust it to come later, in retrospect. I will put simple trust in the truth that all is well, events are unfolding as they should, and all will work out for good in my life - better than I can imagine.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

In hindsight, we will know. It will become clear. For today, being is enough. We have been told that all things shall work out for good in our life. We can trust that to happen, even if we cannot see the place today's events will hold in the larger picture.
I have often said that I wouldn't wish my life on my worst enemy...nor would I trade a day of it with anyone else.

I wouldn't be in the good place I am in today if my path had not led me here, a path that had bad days and good, sad times and happier and many hard lessons to learn on the way.

Today I trust, sometimes with blind faith, that if I allow myself to be led and let go of my sense of urgency, all will be well.

Hugs
Old 09-09-2008, 05:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
BBD

I'm not quite sure if I hadn't gone to therapy and alanon that I would have ever understood the "letting go" part. It was hard for me as a mom to "let go" when I thought I was just doing my job. Thank heavens I was led to counciling and alanon and somehow happened to find this site. Thanks for starting my day with some good thoughts Ann. Your a Godsent to this site. Have a good one!! Smiles, Bonnie
Old 09-09-2008, 06:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
StrivingToThrive

Lately in my self, I have noticed, that it takes being in crisis mode for me to turn to my " Language of Letting Go " book. Its then that I realize I haven't been using it nor my other tools because I had become complacent. And during this time I was back in control of things so worrying about " Letting go", wasn't in my daily thoughts.
Sunday, I fell apart and felt myself stumbling big time in dealing with all my emotions. Then finally last night I turned to my "L of LG". I picked up Sunday's topic of " Being Powerless", then Mondays topic of " Stopping our Pain", and then Todays topic of " Perspective". what a perfect order to begin to get me back where I belong, and to feel the power of theses tools I have now, if I don't put them down.
Its kind of like exercising for me. I'll be real good about it for a while and feel real good inside and out. All my endorphins are keeping me upbeat, alert and energized. Then I slowly let it go and then one day I feel tired and miserable, and out of shape and i wonder whats wrong with me? Then I realize, " Duh!" I'm not exercising!
Its the same for me with my mental skills.
I can't set them down. Daily practice is what keeps my mind healthy.
For both, some days its really hard to get it going though!
Old 09-09-2008, 07:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, Ann. Perfect timing, as usual.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy