Notices

Help! My family is CRAZY!

Old 09-07-2008, 05:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I was at the hospital visiting my critically ill 92-year old grandfather today and my mother and aunt were acting like crazy people! My mom, aunt, step father (basically my mom's entire side of the family) is NUTS!

When I was little I was abused emotionally, psychologically and physically by these people. I am in early recovery, (only 4 1/2 months sobriety) and if I want to see my extemely ill grandfather, I have to cross their paths too! The thing is, by the time I left the hospital I seriously wanted to drink! I didn't drink, but wanted to!

When I walked into the waiting room today, everyone was fighting like a bunch of hillbillies and my aunt even got in my face. She pointed her finger in my face and said I had to go the the parking lot with her so she could talk to me. She was yelling at me! I looked at her and told her to get her finger out of my face and I was NOT going anywhere with her! I went to say Hi to my grandpa and then left the hospital. My family is extremely sick and selfish!

HELP! What do I do? I don't want to see my psychotic mother, aunt etc. but I want to visit my grandfather. They are ALWAYS at the hospital! I don't have a relationship with my mother and aunt because they are literally crazy people and they are REALLY bad for my sobriety and sanity, but I want to see my grandpa.

HELP!
Old 09-07-2008, 05:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

Do you go to meetings or have any friends in your sober world who can maybe go visit your grandpa with you? Maybe not going alone will give you more strength and support?
Old 09-07-2008, 05:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

I am sorry but good for you for not drinking!
Maybe you could talk to the nurses and find out when they are NOT there? Or maybe if it is convenient, they (nurse staff) can call when they leave and then you can go? They have to go home sometime and I know that when my Mom was in the hospital I did this because I did not want to run into my sister whom I was not speaking to and I knew would start drama if I saw her. The nursing staff was very helpful and luckily my sister was fairly consistent about her visits.
Just a thought...
Old 09-07-2008, 05:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I also had to distance myself from my family in order to recover.

Is it possible to talk to the nurses and try to arrange a time to visit your grandfather when your family isn't there? They have to go home sometime.

I hope you can work this out, but above all, take care of yourself.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((((((Jen)))))) hugs to you.

Love,

Lenina
Old 09-07-2008, 06:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good idea about taking someone with me to the hospital next time and calling ahead to see if my family is there so I can sneak in and out!

I can't wait til he gets better so I can AVOID my crazy mother and aunt all together again!

Thanks for caring!
Old 09-07-2008, 08:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Have you ever read the book irregular people? It's very helpful for those of us that basically have to have some skitzos in our lives. I mean, sometimes they cannot be avoided. The book helped me and I know it's helped others to mentally arm yourself for these types of irregular people that can rock your world and just plain make you feel bad. Other than that, hugs (I don't give them out often) and an atta girl for not quitting today Jen.