Notices

Drinking In My Sleep

Old 09-06-2008, 06:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking In My Sleep

At 6 months sober I began having awfull nightmares nearly every night. I can count on one hand the times I had drinking dreams prior to the 6 month mark.

Some of these dreams are so scary that there are some nights I dont even want to go to sleep, for fear the vivid dreams will begin.

This started around the same time my son and my grandmother became ill. I'm not sure if there illnesses have anything to do with the dreams or not.

Do any of you have any suggestions on how I can get these nightmares to go away?
Old 09-06-2008, 06:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Toomutch,

It's interesting that you posted this. I recently went through a stressful period with job interviewing and then starting a new job. I started having horrible nightmares too, just awful. They would be so vivid and exhausting. I know it was due to anxiety and that's possibly what is happening to you. Your anxiety about the illnesses with your son and grandmother probably play into your dreams. As far as a solution, I don't have one, except that time will help. Maybe you could try journalling your concerns and getting the thoughts down on paper. That might help.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Anna.

I guess I will pick up that journal that is gathering dust, and see if that helps.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Using and drinking dreams are really common. One of mine was so bad that I had to turn on the TV and sit up for a while to ensure that I'd "change the channel in my head" before I went back to sleep. They'll probably get less common as we have more time sober.:ghug3
KJ
Old 09-06-2008, 08:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have very vivid dreams often and also when life is stressful and I am worried dreams become more twisted, nightmarish and exhausting. I would try some cognitive therapy before you go to sleep (focusing on peaceful/soothing things) and really monitor your intake (violence on TV - even the news can be a real downer), music you listen to, people who are negative (stay away from those you can). Really nuture yourself Toomuch. You've been through some traumatic things lately that have been very draining and scary. I wish you some peaceful dreaming tonight......
Old 09-06-2008, 09:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I have a little over 3 years in Recovery and still, to this day, if I am under a lot of stress, I will have a using dream. But in my dreams now, it's like I'm always having someone offer me the drugs or alcohol. I'm never seeking it out myself.

I look at this as my disease just trying to remind me that I do have choices today. I used to get really upset when I woke up from these dreams. I would wonder if they meant that I was having cravings that I didn't realize, if I were in the beginning of a relapse. . . all kinds of things went through my head.

But today, like I said a few sentences ago, I have choices today. I now use my dreams as a reminder of that exact thing. I remind myself that yeph, it's all around me, so simple to get IF I wanted to. But today I don't. And for that, I pat myself on the back.

Since you are going through a great deal right now, your disease is wanting you back more than ever. Just keep reminding yourself the reasons why you aren't going to pick up. And pat yourself on the back, take one of those wonderful bubble baths and get some rest my friend.

Prayers to you and all of your family.

Much Love,
Judy
Old 09-07-2008, 09:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Last night I wasn't drinking in my dreams, but my 14 year old daughter was.
Not to mention with one of my old boyfriends, who was and still is considered by most of the women who have met him, the hottest guy they have ever met.

The weirdest thing about the dream is that I wasn't concerned about my daughters drinking. I was jealous that she was with my ex.

I am one twisted sister.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You are!!!

Just kidding. Dreams are weird. I just shake my head sometimes and wonder where I come up with this stuff.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I usually have weird dreams or terrible ones...so I put them in the "not important" file and quickly forget them. I'm lucky that when I dream about drinking, it does not make me more inclined to do so in real life.

Toomutch, I don't know what to tell you. I'm sorry you're going through such a crappy time. Time usually helps with the bad dreams...

Did you know there are some people who have somehow obtained the ability to control their dreams? I've only done it partially ONCE, and it was pretty cool. You have to train yourself to do it. If you can somehow realize that you are dreaming without waking up, you might be able to control what happens next. I envy the people who can do this. Just imagine...the possibilities are limited only to what it is you can imagine. Try doing some internet searches on the subject. I'm sure this method takes a lot of practice and a certain kind of mind set. I wish I could do it. Best of luck to you.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Bamboozle - you are absolutely right I forgot about that. My father and boyfriend were/are able to do this completely. I can only do it when something truly awful is about to happen like I'm abot to get hit by a car and I'll think. Ok. It's time to wake up. But they can do it by being in the middle of the dream and saying this is a dream and I am going to step out of this now and on to something else. It's really interesting. Thanks for bringing out that up. I'm going to try that again as I have vivid/nightmarish/sicko dreams also.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You know what Bamboozle - When I was a liitle girl and would have nightmares, I was able to tell myself within my dream to wake up.
I did this by shaking my head from side to side before the terrifying part of the dream arrived.

I wish I still had the ability to do that - but no such luck.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I believe dreams are our minds way of release.
So maybe cause you are going through so much. Your mind needs to let some of the stress go in the familiar its known for so long?
Does that make sense?
Old 09-07-2008, 10:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think I understand what you're saying Chiy....

But my mind has never thought about my 14 year old daughter drinking with my hot ex. Now thats some crazy sh!t. Or could I ever imagine being jealous of my own daughter.

This is not the most outlandish dream I have ever had, not by a long shot. But it just seemed so odd.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yea dreams are odd. But the drinking may be the only real symbolism there.

I was having using dreams last week. Not too bad tho. They dont get me like they use to.

I am sure its all because of the stress.

HUGS
Old 09-07-2008, 11:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Toomuch - You aren't jealous of your 14 year old I promise. Anymore than I want to sleep with a relative. I had a dream like that once and was literally sick to my stomach over it for days and wondered if I was a truly disturbed individual. Ha...I agree with Trish. Most of the time it's a stress release and not all dreams are too be read into too much... *lame joke*
Old 09-07-2008, 11:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

bostonluv - I enjoy your sense of humor
Old 09-07-2008, 11:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

thought I was the only crazy person that dreamt about insest. EWWW!!!
Those really are disturbing.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes, those insest dreams can leave you disturbed for quite some time.

I should not even be discussing this type dream right now, with my luck I will be having one tonight. Yuck.... Please Lord NOOOOOO!
Old 09-07-2008, 11:51 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ha..I enjoy your sense of humor also Toomuch. Mostly though you have such an honesty in your posts that always make me think, if I knew this lady in "real" life we would be friends. You're just straight up.

And NOOO incest dreams for any of us tonight. I shouldn't have brought it up! Let's think about flowers now............
Old 09-07-2008, 03:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Bostonluv - I bet if we lived nearby one another we would be good friends. But I am happy to have you as a cyber friend and I consider you a real friend.