Hi! New here...

Old 09-06-2008, 05:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Hi! New here...

(Moved...I think this was in the wrong forum. Sorry!)
Old 09-06-2008, 06:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi dulceamargo!
Welcome to SR!

B.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Dulceamargo, posting your original post on this thread so that the others can reply to you...

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Originally Posted by dulceamargo15 View Post
Hello everyone!

So I guess I should start off by introducing myself and telling you a little bit about me before I get into my story and why I stumbled across this place just a little while ago...

For sake of anonymity, I would like to simply go by LC on here because my story is one that only my immediate family is aware of (I am the only one that knows the full extent of everything) and for now, I don't want to risk anyone I know stumbling across here and reading anything I post. I am 21 years old and a college student in Florida.

Now for my story (please bear with me, as it may get a little long!)...

I come from a family of 4...mom, dad, sister, and myself. My family is what you would call dysfunctional...verbally abusive dad, rebellious sister (with a history of drug use and several other problems), and my mom, who right now is going on about 4 or 5 years of battling alcoholism.

My mom and I have always been close and I've been lucky to have the kind of relationship with her where I could tell her everything and could count on her for anything. And my naive high school self saw my mom as one of the strongest people I knew. At that time we were dealing with several family problems, most of them bought on by my sister. During those years, I would often find my mom passed out on the couch with the TV on. I still have vivid memories in my head of trying to wake her up and having her look at me in a daze and then try to string together words to make nothing but incoherent sentences. At the time, I thought she was using sleeping pills to help her get some sleep at night, turns out I was wrong.

After that, the signs began to escalate and I tried to ignore them. A part of me screamed alcoholism...the other tried to muffle that because I didn't think that something like that could happen to my family. Up until that point, it was only something that I had seen on television shows and in movies. Like I mentioned before, I was naive...and very, very sheltered.

It wasn't until I started college and the suspicions started growing more and more that I decided to investigate more because my mom's nightly "couch naps" were becoming more and more frequent. I still remember the night where I confronted my mom, having found an empty bottle of wine hidden in her closet. My grandmother was over and I remember her begging me and crying and she urged me not to tell her anything about what was happening.

That pretty much set me off on the journey that brings me here today. Since then, my mom saw one psychologist who I really thought was helping her. She was sober for about a year, began exercising, lost a lot of weight, and she was strong when faced with problems from my sister. But then she stopped seeing that psychologist and things slowly started to fall apart again. She began seeing a psychiatrist who prescribed her Xanax and my mom developed an addiction to that as well.

These past few years I would definitely describe as a roller coaster ride. We've had our moments of calm where I really believe that my mom is getting better, where I slowly start to rebuild my confidence in her. But then she goes and drinks again and mixes it with the Xanax...and I'm back in the dark hole where I'm finding myself today. Things are slowly getting worse...she tries to convince us to her her buy wine at Publix, using the excuse that if she's able to drink openly and in front of us, she won't feel the need to hide it in her room and abuse it. But lately she has been keeping one bottle in the fridge and I keep finding bottles hidden around her room after she stumbles out, clearly not sober.

There are 3 days from this past summer that still stick out clearly in my mind...and they are all days where I seriously thought that I was going to lose my mom to an overdose. On each of those days she would say that she was going to shower and instead sat in the bathroom, drinking wine and mixing it with Xanax (and possibly sleeping pills). She'll come out barely able to stand up and will just pass out on her bed and I'm left freaking out, wondering if I should call the paramedics or if she'll just ride it out like the last time. It's scary and I can still clearly remember feeling my heart trying to beat it's way out of my chest every time I was faced with that situation.

She's seeing a new psychologist now, one who according to her is "really, really helping her get stronger" and a new psychiatrist who is weaning her off the Xanax, but is also prescribing her non-addictive sleeping pills (which I believe my mom has already abused). But honestly, I feel like she is getting worse. I am at the point where the fear of losing my mom is real. She begs me not to tell anyone else (my dad and my sister are aware of the problem, just not the full extent of it), and threatens to never speak to me again if I do. I am fully convinced that my mom isn't going to live to see me graduate from college next year and it's a thought that crushes me. I've become depressed myself because I feel like I've had to take on the "mom" role. I barely go out like I used to because I am scared of coming home and finding my mom dead of an overdose. And when I do go out, I call to check in constantly because the thoughts of my mom drinking are always on my mind.

So, so sorry that this has become a novel. It was definitely not my intention, but I'm a writer and I tend to get carried away. Today, I found another hidden bottle of alcohol. When I confronted my mother, she reacted rudely to me (like she does normally when I find hidden bottles). She had it hidden despite the fact that she had another one in the fridge (which I have already disposed of).

I am honestly at my wit's end. I just...don't know what to do anymore and I am glad to have found this place because just in writing this, I've gotten a lot off of my chest that I haven't been able to tell anyone else in all these years. So thank you and God Bless!
Old 09-08-2008, 09:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Welcome to SR!!!

Take a read of the stickies, and get to know everyone here. This is a wonderful place for support and advice on how to help you!

Firstly, I would remind you of the three C's:

You didn't cause it
You can't control it
You can't cure it

This is your mum's addiction, and she has to save herself. That said, I did the things you are doing now with my exabf (ex alcoholic boyfriend). I threw away his beer, I serched for and found hidden bottles, empty cans, marked the bottles with marker pen to see if he was sneaking my drinks (My wine would slowly go down and I knew I wasn't drinking it). I called and checked on him, went out to find him when he was drunk some place etc etc.

One thing that helped to do was to drive me slowly insane. It did nothing to help my abf get sober. In fact he only got more and more aggressive to me and verbally abusive, clod and unloving as his addiction progressed. Like you, I fell into depression and spent serious amounts of time feeling low, not going to work and trying to fix everything.

Here I learnt that I could detach, stop focusing on the addict in my life and deal with my problems, and begin healing and taking care of me.

I recommened you get the book, Codependant no more by Melody Beattie. She is a wonderful writer of how to healthily deal with addictions, she herself having travelled that path. Also find an Al-anon meeting near you for additional support. You needn't bear this alone, you are not alone.

Stick around and keep reading and posting!

Love Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 09-08-2008, 09:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Welcome to SR! Glad that you found us and Lily said a lot above!

Keep posting and sharing with you-Know that you are not alone-

A lot of support and a wealth of information here!
Old 09-08-2008, 01:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Guess what, I'm not crazy.

Hugs and welcome!
Old 09-10-2008, 07:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello,
I am in the same position as you. Finding bottles of wine hidden in her room...another in the fridge. Afraid of coming home and finding her dead on the couch. I can't give you much advice, just know that you're not alone, and reading these posts does help. For me at least, talking to friends who have not experienced this is not something I want to do. Keep coming here, and keep sharing.