Little ray of Light- My 1st Naranon Mtg

Old 09-05-2008, 04:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Little ray of Light- My 1st Naranon Mtg

Last night I went to my first Naranon Meeting. Of course I cried from beginning to end, omg ..I JUST CAN'T HELP IT! I've been to an AA & NA meeting with my ABF, cried their too but felt bad, because then his focus shifts from the meeting to comforting me, and i don't want him to lose focus. The NA meeting was bittersweet. Reassuring in some ways,but then again there were friends and family members there that have spent their lifetime on this perpetual rollercoaster with their addicts. My boyfriends mother met me there, and that helped. we have been our own little support system til now. I have begun reading: Codependency no more & The language of letting go, as well as visiting SR daily and getting inspiration from others here, just by reading posts, etc. So now since we started over last friday..today is day 7 for my ABF. As I mentioned in my original post he was clean 53 days before his relapse..which was just a one night slip up, thank god.....and he told us and got back on the right track ...going to therapy 2x's a week......meetings..and looking into a day program til he gets back to work. I think he needs anti-depressant/anti-anxiety, he seems depressed. He's never lived alone...especially not clean. So we are going to see a psych..as well as his pcp...to check out some options, to help his mood as well as cravings. He really is a sweetie, even though I hate the addict in him. I love him!! thanks for letting me share!!!

Denise:praying
Old 09-05-2008, 04:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you. I pray that he stays clean and gets well. For you, I pray that you remember to take care of you. He will find his way.... don't lose yours. Keep moving forward and keep looking for all avenues of support and health for you. : )
Old 09-05-2008, 04:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Denise,

Welcome and GOOD FOR YOU! Meetings have helped me so much and I wouldn't take $1,000,000 for what I've learned through the 12 step program.

I hope you will keep going. And don't worry about that crying. Everyone there understands and most likely has cried through a meeting, too. Just hang in there, keep going, and I guarantee you that if you begin to work the 12 step program, TRULY work it, your life will get better. Notice I did not say I guarantee your ABF will get sober or he will do what you want or you will get what you want, but you will learn how to handle your life better. And that's what recovery is all about. When I look back on my life, heck, I was in such a pitiful state, ANYTHING, any progress toward a better life would have been better than the awful, fearful, angry way I was living.

Hugs and prayers for you and your ABF,
Hangin' In
Old 09-05-2008, 06:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the support and prayers, i truly appreciate every bit!

XO,
Denise
Old 09-05-2008, 06:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Denise,
I found out about Naranon meeeting here also and between them and here it was two of the best things that happened to me. I think most of us cry when we go to the first few meetings, I know I did and they probably all did to when they told their story. Nice that your AB mother came with you. Keep going and reading here and posting. Prayers for you and ab.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Denise,

I find alot of strength, love and support by attending Nar-Anon, Al-Anon and reading & posting on SR. It really helps me to see the other people at my Nar-Anon meeting each week, to remember I am not alone and know that they support me through my good times and bad.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Denise,

One more thing.... ....

Just think about when you've heard an inspirational speaker, a speaker at an AA or NA meeting or an Al Anon or Nar Anon speaker or even someone give their testimony at church (hoping you have heard some of these...if not, find some to hear!...), but think about it. No one that I have ever heard has stood up there and said, "YEP, I DID IT ALL BY MYSELF!" No one. Everyone has mentioned someone or something (Higher Power comes to mind) that has walked the journey with them.

That's why I love the 12 steps. The first step says "WE" admitted. That means WE do it together, not by ourselves.

I can't do this recovery journey alone and I am so grateful I don't have to. Thank God for recovering and support friends. And thank God that He put those people in my life to help me.

You can have the same. Reach out, continue meetings, continue reading here. You will get better if you do the work.

Hugs,
Hangin' In
Old 09-05-2008, 08:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Denise, Yep, I can remember crying at several meetings. But you know what, I needed to and everyone is so supportive! Meetings are a safe place to be and to get better.

Prayers for both you & your AB.

Chris
Old 09-05-2008, 06:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you found a meeting Denise and you are moving forward with reading and coming here too. I hope you will give the meetings some time - try 6 before you decide if you want to continue. I think it is more the norm to cry for awhile than not - we have some members who cried for the first year, lol.
Glad you are both working hard on your own recoveries - excellent! Hugs and prayers and positive thoughts for both of you

Last edited by greeteachday; 09-06-2008 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Denise,
My son is also ( we hope) a recovering heroin Addict and I see from your post that we live very close to each other. there is a terrific Naranon meeting at South Oaks in Amityville accross from sunrise mall on Tuesday Nites if you want to ck it out.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

You are doing the "do" things and I promise good will come from this. It took a while for me to make recovery a part of my life, a way of living and a natural response to whatever was happening around me...but today I am so grateful that meetings, my sponsor and SR have brought me to a better place than I ever dreamed possible, a place where I wake up each day glad to be alive and happy in anticipation of another new day.

And just for the record, I cried for my first three meetings. They handed me tissues and I just cried and listened. And then I decided that I wanted what they had and I have never looked back.

Hugs
Old 09-15-2008, 03:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Denise, Welcome. I started going to meetings this summer and they really are helpful. It is nice to know that we are not alone. SR has also been a tremendous help for me too. I have a recovering daughter living with me and so I really need to keep in touch with my recovery. Hugs and prayers for you, your bf and his mom. Hugs, Marle