Notices

trying to stop myself from having a glass of wine

Old 09-04-2008, 08:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

trying to stop myself from having a glass of wine

On day 12 today alcohol free. The headaches have gone, and I feel good. I did a tough gym class at 6am this morning and I am tired now, and I would love a glass of wine tonight as it is Friday night. If I do, my countdown will go back to day one and I will regret it tommorrow for sure, because if I have one glass, I know I will have two.

I hate the fact that I am stressing over this, and that in turn, tells me I have a problem. Why can't I have a glass of wine without the guilt and remorse and the disapointment in myself? I wish I could be like everyone else. Went to the hairdressers today, chatting with her about alcohol. She said she has a glass of wine sev times a week. Thats it, she doesn't crave it or stress if she doesn't have one. Unlike me.

I am going to have a coke zero and an early night. This is what I am aiming for, but it is oh so difficult.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Forgot to add, this is the first time since stopping that I have had cravings to drink, how do you actually lead an alcohol free life, with feelings like these?
Old 09-04-2008, 09:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For myself, I found my stress level lowered after I stopped teasing myself with the thought of just one or two drinks, then stopping and being satisfied and happy. It just never happened that way, because I am an alcoholic and drinking myself into a blackout was all too often the way "one or two" ended. It's easier not to pick up the first drink than have one and force myself to stop. Cause even if I stop that night, a binge isn't far in my future, and I know for myself I can't face the physical and emotional sickness.

I am on day 12 too Let's make it to unlucky 13 so we can get past it to the two week mark!

For your second question, I'm struggling with that tonight, too. I'm holding on to things I've heard from others, that the cravings ease up after a while. CarolD suggests actually timing your craving, to see how long the feeling lasts. Hers were 7-8 minutes, then gone. After that, once she had them, she knew she just had to find something else to do for about 8 minutes. (She's shared this publicly on other threads.) Stay strong!
Old 09-04-2008, 09:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Why can't I have a glass of wine without the guilt and remorse and the disapointment in myself? I wish I could be like everyone else.
Because you can't. Because you're not like everyone else. Because drinking for you isn't like drinking for them. And it never will be.

It's not fair. It sucks. But it's reality, and we have to learn to accept that and live with what that means.

As I've heard countless others say here, it's not the 3rd drink or the 6th drink or the 10th drink that gets us... it's the first drink. Just don't have that first drink. That's all.

I'm just finishing up Day 2 so I'm not one to preach or teach... I'm trying my best to hang in there just like you are.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Do whatever it takes to keep from picking up that first drink. My first instinct is now to come here and read posts... it really does help me a lot. If reading alone doesn't do it, I'll post, asking for help and encouragement - and I ALWAYS get it. Then I try to find ways to busy myself and pass the time until the craving passes. Whatever it takes.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Anymore, all I have to do is look back at who and what I was while I was drinking. I never want to go back there. I've had too many slips and restarts that I get the feeling if I didn't stop when I did (54 days ago) it would end badly for me somehow. So instead of waiting for the disaster to happen, I am taking steps to make sure it DOESN'T happen.

I'm not giving up my time! Not for any bad-tasting wine or for anything else. You know you'd feel like dirt if you drank, so don't pick up that first drink!

:ghug3
Old 09-05-2008, 02:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Jig

We all get cravings Sunshine. I have found they grow less frequent in time. I get past mine by doing something different, challenging myself. Changing your routine and doing new things can take your mind off them and give you something useful to concentrate on instead. Hang in there mate, day twelve is a good effort, keep it up.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks so much guys, I really appreciate your comments. Well here I am 8.45pm having a cuppa tea and heading off to bed in a few minutes. The craving passed, it was around 4pm when I posted. I drank my protein shake, and then had dinner with the family and all is well, no alcohol. I feel EMPOWERED that I made that choice not to drink, and ruin my good work.

I sort of was trying to think, why do I want to drink? Out of habit, or because I was tired, and I knew I would be furious with myself tommorrow. And there is no way I am sweating it out in a gym class to ruin it later! Thanks again everyone and peace to you.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hi again!!

I'm finding it quite tricky at times too - now on day 20 I think! However, it's becoming habit now not to have a drink in the evenings. I crave hot chocolate instead, which is probably a bit better for me!! It's Friday here now though and I am thinking how 'nice' it would be to have 'just one'. What would be the point though?

Stay strong

sas
Old 09-05-2008, 04:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Way to go SadMummy! Congrats on 20 sober days!!:ghug3
Old 09-05-2008, 04:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

sunshinebaby: my time to drink was always dinnertime. I sipped wine while I cooked, then while I ate, then while I cleaned up, etc, etc.
Now when it is dinner time I do have the urges. But I notice that once dinner is done, the dishes cleared and washed... and the evening has started, the inner alco-clock doesn't tick so loudly. I feel content to just have tea and watch TV or read.