Pardon me, I need to vent

Old 09-04-2008, 10:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Rediscovering myself

Pardon me, I need to vent

So, my AH is a stage one alcoholic and our marriage sucks. Not just because of the drinking, but it sucks on a general sober basis as well. So I go to the lawyer today and he basically tells me it's not obviously bad enough to be 100% sure that I could get a divorce and get custody. He wants me to stay for another month to document everything. UGH!! I know it's not as bad as some people (I'm not being hit, he hasn't gotten a DUI, etc) but it just sucks being told that my crappy marriage isn't bad enough. I'm doing the right thing! I'm getting out BEFORE it gets to that point. I'm doing the responsible thing and 'the system' is getting in my way. You'd think they'd support people like me. VERY annoying...
Old 09-04-2008, 11:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It may not seem like it but the system will support you. They need evidence to support you. One month of documenting your evidence will only strenghten your conviction.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

FYI no lawyer will tell you that there is a 100% chance you will get custody, they just don't do that because they cannot guarantee what the court system or a judge will do. My ex initially ranted and raved that he was going to get joint custody, when he found out that the court would do an eval and interview our son he agreed to give me custody.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Rediscovering myself

I know, I've got a great lawyer who just wants to go in with everything he possibly can so we can make it obvious to the judge what the right thing to do is. I'm just upset because I hate living like this, I hate my daughter living like this, and I want OUT. I'm just tired and disappointed. That's all.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Take that extra time and document everything. It will be worth it in the end.