Notices

Panic Attacks

Old 09-04-2008, 10:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Panic Attacks

I has 'em.

This new job is becoming pretty stressful. I quit drinking a couple weeks into it. I woke up at 3 am when our 3 year old crawled into bed with us and couldn't get back to sleep b/c my mind started racing about work. I dozed off, had a stupid dream about work and woke up thinking that my son was on my chest, but he wasn't.

I just had a similar episode sitting here at my desk while trying to find something in a file and the lawyer calling me bytching about something else. He's not the most friendly guy.

Anyone have any tips to get through these moments when my first thought is always have a drink or a toke to calm the nerves?

I don't remember having them in the past, but how would I know when I was always mellow KWIM?
\
Old 09-04-2008, 10:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

deep breathing and a walk around the office might help remember it won't last forever
Old 09-04-2008, 10:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had panic attacks for about the first year I was sober. I had never had them either but then again I was very medicated. Remember to breathe through them and tell yourself they won't kill you. I haven't had any in a few months and I am very grateful for that!
Old 09-04-2008, 10:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Here's a technique my therapist taught me that helps: Take a deep breath through your nose and hold (the breath, not your nose!) to the count of five, slowly exhale through the mouth to the count of ten.

Seems to help me calm down. Also, she advised me to avoid using caffeine. I wasn't much of a caffeine user anyway so this was no hardship for me. Camomille tea helps me too. I have that in the early afternoon.

Hope this helps you.

Lenina

Last edited by Lenina; 09-04-2008 at 10:33 AM. Reason: typing faster than thinking