Isn't it funny?

Old 09-03-2008, 07:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Isn't it funny?

Hubby came home last week and said he wanted to get me a new USED vehicle. My current one runs like a champ but after being run into earlier this summer the body is rusting, but I love my convertibale. SOB. He went and found me a Blazer that I feel is huge but I'll take it. We kept the car since there was really no trade-in value and I couldn't quite part with it. At my 15 year old granddaughter's birthday this weekend I mentioned to her that it was too bad she wasn't 16 I'd give it to her. She's such a good girl, knows mom is on crack and an alcoholic and that were all here for her.

Anyways, I get the email titled "Isn't it funny" from my AD. Well, she jumps around so much I thought it was something funny so I opened it.
"so knowing I need a car, you suggest to my daughter you'd give it to her if she were old enough. Just another way of making sure I know I mean nothing to you."

AD has to ride to and from work with her ex-MIL every day and she just hates it but heaven forbid she part with any of her paycheck for anything as trivial as a car. She also really thinks that since she works everyday she is totally different to anyone else on crack, she's not some low life.

I just replied that throughout the last few years I've given her two cars, while I went back to walking, and that she totalled them both. Her reply, "the one that your husband got more than book value for. The one from when I was a kid (forgot about that one, that's 3). Nope I didn't forget. You are Amazing."

Of course, I had to reply. "What we got for the cars wasn't the subject. You were referring to you not meaning anything to me. You do. But now it's time for you to use your own money and get your own car. I won't get into any argument over this and I'm not dicussing it anymore." Haven't heard from since but I'll bet everyone she works with did. I did want to add that I thought I was pretty "amazing" myself.

Now SIL offered to buy it from me for a winter car, which he really needs to keep his job. Oh, the sh$$ will hit the fan.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds so much like my sister. Good for you for not walking on egg shells and keeping it real
Old 09-03-2008, 10:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((Baxter)))

Good for you!!! We A's can be mean and whiny when people stop enabling us...pretty much like a small child throwing a temper tantrum.

Now that I'm in recovery, I realize that if anyone had just given me what I wanted, I would still be expecting more and I certainly wouldn't be as grateful for the things I've done all by myself!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 09-03-2008, 11:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Baxter,

My sons both play the "I'm entitled" card from time to time and one isn't an A at all ! Somehow they just expect things to be handed to them... and not have to work for stuff at all. I'm amazed at what they spend their money on now - it's all clothes and fun stuff, big TVs and Xbox etc. but neither of them has a good car either. Honestly I think they are waiting for their dad or me to just BUY them one.

I know how much more I appreciate and take care of my own things. I work hard for my money and I've earned what I have. I remember a LOT of furniture from Goodwill in my early years.

Your recovery is SHINING brightly. You didn't rise to the bait that your AD threw out at you... Hopefully she'll be able to work consistently and get her own car and be proud of it.

Mom hugs
Cats
Old 09-03-2008, 11:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
rozied

Good going Baxter!!! I am glad you told your AD what the real story is.
Your recovery is looking real good.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I feel good about it and my husband's proud but of course no grandchildren today. That's her way of getting even. Keep them away for a few days until she can't find anyone to watch them everyday. Getting used to that.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
rozied

Baxter, Don't call her, let her keep her children as long as she wants. Enjoy your time alone, you earned it.
You know before long she will be calling you to babysit. We as grandparents do have the upper hand if we choose to use it
Old 09-04-2008, 07:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Baxter, you sound great, I am so proud of you for being tough when you need to be. I only hope that when and if it comes my time that I am just like you!!!
Old 09-04-2008, 04:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This is absolutely delicious.

You are amazing.