Simple Pleasures are the Best

Old 09-01-2008, 10:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Simple Pleasures are the Best

So what's on the barb-e today? The menu in my house includes:

- Bangers (hot Italian sausage) topped with carmelized onions and green, yellow, and red peppers
- Corn on the cob
- Watermelon
- Macaroni salad
- Deviled eggs

And for dessert, strawberry shortcake.

I'm so grateful that I found recovery and serenity and so grateful for all my wonderful friends here who helped me turn my life around.

Today is beautiful in my neck of the woods. It's sunny, the skies are crystal clear, and the temperature is in the low 80s. My daughter and I will enjoy our Labor Day bounty on our deck while we watch my three pups play in the yard.

I'm grateful that our lives have crossed in cyberspace and grateful for this day. Simple pleasures are the best.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Simple pleasures are the best. Today in my neck of the woods it is windy and warm. My new kitten and 1 year old cat are following me everywhere and bursting into play whenever they feel like it (hmmm....I think there is a lesson in there for me). I am having company for dinner!!!! For those of you that don't know me that is a big step for this former Isolation Queen.

On our menu is:
spinach artichole dip with seasoned pita chips
BBQ pork sandwiches (from a home grown pig)
deviled eggs
chinese cole slaw
fresh corn on the cob
fruit for dessert.

It will be a great day, and I too am so thankful for this group of cyber-friends.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Heading to a block party this evening in a friend's neighborhood - I'm bringing the bevies & dessert: made a big jug of fresh brewed iced tea with fresh mint and lemon; and made some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies - it really is a bit too hot to bake but -- it's always worth it in the end!!! Looking forward to a lawn chair and the sound of kids running freely in the street!

Enjoy the holiday everyone!
Peace,
B.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'll be hangin with some friends; one of whom is 1-1/2 years old and has just learned to do a pretty intelligible pronunciation of my name. It doesn't get better than that.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm going out to a friend's farm for dinner. It may end up being lasagna as it's a bit hot and humid here. We'll feed the horses and play with the kitties... and talk about my friends' upcoming marriage. It's one of those really good matches that comes along every so often. I'm thrilled for both of them.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Turning it all around

Former, great attitude! It sure are the little things that make this life great! It is so good to be back! Shish Kabobs for me today! Happy Labor Day!
Old 09-01-2008, 12:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's going to be quiet around here tonight1
Have a good time you guys
Old 09-01-2008, 01:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's quiet around here, but I'm looking forward to my son coming home in a couple of hours. Tomorrow is the 1st day of 2nd grade!!

FD - I'm going to live through you if you don't mind and at least 'imagine' I'm eating at your house, you're making all my favorites!
Old 09-01-2008, 01:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You guys have my mouth watering! Sounds like a lot of great cooking going on!!! I'm doing something that's a departure from the normal barbeque. I'm baking a turkey. Turkeys were on sale for 79 cents a pound at the store, so I grabbed one up. It's just me and the animals having dinner, since AH is on his usual holiday drunk-a-thon.

I did enjoy a good cup of coffee this morning out on my church's patio. Nobody around except me and "Charlie" who is the stray cat hanging around the property. I'm going to attempt to humanely trap him tomorrrow or Wednesday, get him to my vet's, and have him fixed. At least if I have to release him back on the church's property, he won't be responsible for dragging along a family of feral cats!
Old 09-01-2008, 04:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
May it be

Location: A new day. Today I just see bright colors, in the small world of my dreams.
quiet, peaceful here, great weekend

Man is God's gag gift to women.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
God's Kid

I feel short changed!
We don't have another public holiday till October!
Everyone's food sounds so yummy too.
I may declare my afternoon a 'Public Liz Holiday' and take it easy.
That reminds me of something a friend us to say regarding living one day at a time.

"If you're having a bad day, stop and re start your day, no matter what time it is."

Old 09-01-2008, 05:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks, FD, for this reminder.

I'm just at peace with myself and with life today. Dinner's some kind of casserole thingie, with peach cobbler and ice cream for dessert. We all (people, dogs) got to go for a hike & picnic in the mountains this morning, all my work is done for the day, and I am ready to just sit outside in the backyard and listen to the birds go to sleep. GL's Labor Day: Sandwiches, fruitstand peaches, a little gasoline $7.15. Peace of mind: Priceless.

Re-learning to appreciate these small, simple things in life -- good food, quiet, playing games, listening to music -- was a MAJOR step in detoxing myself off drama and getting the life I really wanted. It took a while, though, gosh. Years of needing, craving, grasping at somebody else, praying they would become the person I needed them to be......I went through a lot of withdrawal to get back to this spot. Wouldn't change it for the world.

Happy day, everybody everywhere!

Old 09-01-2008, 05:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Believe it or not I got the most satisfaction I've had in a long time cleaning the kitchen. Talk about simple pleasures! Due to depression, pre-occupation with my AH, codependence, or whatever it was, I have not REALLY cleaned in months......I'm talkin' top to bottom scrubbing. Thanks to the support and knowledge I'm gaining here and on my own I am starting to take care of things that have long been neglected. You might have even caught me whistling while I worked.

I also spent time playing Barbies with the little ones, savoring their bath and story time, and AHHHH, now it's ME time. The sweet sound of silence (okay, there is the hum of snoring from my bedroom, but tonight not even that is going to rain on my parade)!
Old 09-02-2008, 02:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Our next holiday here in UK is Christmas Day. How lame is that?

Still everyday can be a special day if I keep my thoughts positive and merry! Heck I even have fun at work! Today I brought my self in a low calorie hot chocolate orange drink which I am going to enjoy during my coffee break, and some pumpkin seeds to munch on, yum!

Enjoy Labour Day ya'll!

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx