Notices

Ok here goes!!!

Old 09-01-2008, 03:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ok here goes!!!

Right... after 3 failed attempts this year i'm starting again to quit the booze. I'm so tired and fed up with feeling like death all the time, finding excuses to drink, excuses to meet people who i know i'll drink with.... just sick of it all.

I stopped for 3 weeks in January and then just for a few days here and there.. I'm gonna post myself a little journal on here so i can keep track of how i'm doing...if i stop posting please abuse me

I'm not really feeling the religious aspect of the steps so i might look at the SMART program as i know i need a little help when i'm feeling low.

Day 1, sun is shining and i'm taking comfort in the knowledge that i won't wake with a hang over like i have today.

Thanks for reading

Wibble
Old 09-01-2008, 03:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

Good luck
one day at a time
Old 09-01-2008, 04:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Take it one day at a time. This can be done, it takes determination and willpower, and lots of support, which you'll find here. We are here to keep ourselves and each other clean and sober! Keep coming back and keep us informed how you're doing. And if you get a feeling of wanting to drink, come on here and post instead of picking up that first drink!

:ghug3
Old 09-01-2008, 04:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support. I really feel like if i can get over the initial few weeks i'll be ok. Its just difficult to re-adjust your life away from something thats been such big part of it.

I'm not going to drink today...that i'm sure of. Thats a big first step for me.

Thanks again
Old 09-01-2008, 05:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Wibble, the first few weeks are definatly the hardest but it does get easier the longer you don't drink.

I had many many failed attempts in the past few years, ranging from days to weeks, but one of my favorite sayings is "you can't fail, if you keep trying."

Keep reading and keep posting and you will get there.

Sax
Old 09-01-2008, 05:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind words and support. I really want to make it stick this time and plan to do every thing i can to achieve that.

Every other time i catch myself playing this game of saying... ok so i've stopped for 3 days (or whatever it is) that proves i'm not an alcoholic (even though all i've thought about for 3 days was booze....) so if i'm not an alcoholic that means i can drink (like "normal" people).... every single time i do it to myself....

I start off maybe i'll only have a few drinks (although i'll be crying out for more....) but then within days its back to my normal drinking every night...going to bed drunk...waking up feeling awful....get through the day only by knowing as soon as i get home i'm gonna drink...
Old 09-01-2008, 06:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Wibble,

I found that the 'addict voice' got louder as it recognized that I was determined to stop for good. I think that recognizing that voice for what it is, is a really big step in recovery.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Anna: Thank you for that. This is my 16th day and the last couple have been difficult...and I could not understand why. I have never heard it called the "addict voice"...but that is what it is. Thank you again. Naming that little niggle and knowing what a nasty little thing it is helps.
Wibble: You are in the right place...we all just want to stay sober and it's so helpful to know there are a lot of us out there needing each other!!!! Good luck...Keep talking! :chatter
Old 09-01-2008, 06:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Turning it all around

wibble,
Good for you! You're time has come.
Once the withdraws, if any, are done.
It's just habit. Drinking has filled a void. Fill this void with any GOOD activity. If you fail to fill the void you will crave what used to fill it. Fill this void and you'll have no cravings. Stay strong. Keep posting. Prayers
Old 09-01-2008, 07:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

wibble, do you have a sponsor? Good luck on your journey, you CAN do it!!!!!!

I AM NOT a religious person and it doesn't matter if you aren't either. There is something that you can use as your higher power as they say in the program. It can be your sponsor, the meetings, sober supports, your family and so on. For me I use my sponsor, the love for my kids and myself and what I know I possess already.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good for you!
Sobriety Roks!
Old 09-01-2008, 12:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well i made it through day one!!!
Its wonderful to come home and read so many nice messages of support.
The day was only became hard when i was sat in my final meeting of the day with a old friend of mine sat opposite who must have asked me to go drinking with him about 40 times in 20 mins.... It was hard to just keep saying no thanks...
I didn't know how to say it...Is there a point where you just tell people whats going on or do you play this game of just declining invites to go out?

Anyway, i'm home, sober and feel good.

Thanks a lot SR you've really helped today....!

Wibble

PS

In answer to the question no i don't have a sponsor... its just me
Old 09-01-2008, 12:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Perfectly Flawed

Hi Wibble, well done on your progress so far, it can be a rollercoaster but it does get better and the views from the top can be like nowt you've seen before.

Regarding Smart and other secular programs and tools, I'm sure you've discovered the Secular Connections and Secular 12 Step threads.

From my own experience in the North of England. S.O.S ( Secular Organisation for Sobriety) and SMART meetings are badly represented outside of London and Scotland.

I have a reasonably up to date contact list for S.O.S in England if you want (p.m me), maybe it could provide more help for you than it did me (Nearest meeting 100 miles away).

All the very best, keep posting.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wibble View Post
Well i made it through day one!!!
Its wonderful to come home and read so many nice messages of support.
The day was only became hard when i was sat in my final meeting of the day with a old friend of mine sat opposite who must have asked me to go drinking with him about 40 times in 20 mins.... It was hard to just keep saying no thanks...
I didn't know how to say it...Is there a point where you just tell people whats going on or do you play this game of just declining invites to go out?

Anyway, i'm home, sober and feel good.

Thanks a lot SR you've really helped today....!

Wibble

PS

In answer to the question no i don't have a sponsor... its just me
Congrats Wibble It is tough saying no to a drink or offers to go out to a bar. I had the same issue & posted a thread called "The top three excuses not to drink".

Its pretty scary that we are not sure how to say no & feel comfortable with it.. then again I dont think I have said no very often so it is pretty weird.

Good luck & best wishes in your recovery.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Hey Wibble

You can do this.

All the best
Old 09-01-2008, 12:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Wibble! I just wanted to say welcome and good job!
Im a newbie too. This is my first attempt at trying to quit. I know where you are at.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hi wibble!
Old 09-01-2008, 03:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

>>
From my own experience in the North of England. S.O.S ( Secular Organisation for Sobriety) and SMART meetings are badly represented outside of London and Scotland.

I have a reasonably up to date contact list for S.O.S in England if you want (p.m me), maybe it could provide more help for you than it did me (Nearest meeting 100 miles away).

Well looking at your location i doubt i'll have much more luck as i'm in Yorkshire as well!!!! I'll pm you for details though. Thanks a lot for that.

Thanks again to everyone on SR, you really have made a difference today.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You can do it!! & you're already starting to have positive thinking, thinking about how great it will be not be hungover!! You go girl!!
Old 09-01-2008, 03:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

We done it!! Where would we be without SR?

Catch ya tomorrow for Day 2