Notices

Time for change

Old 09-01-2008, 03:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Time for change

I have got to do somthing about my drinking. I'm so fed up being fed up.
I just cant think straight anymore.
I have been drinking almost every day for over 10yrs. You just don't get away with that sort of drinking.
I want to wake up in the morning and feel able to face the day and it would be so good to remember the end of the day. Instead of waking up on the sofa around 4am. I then cannot get back to sleep and have to drag myself through the day waiting for 5.30pm to come so I can rush home and open another bottle of wine. It's usually all gone by 8.30pm TUT!

I have no energy for my children or our home

I feel life is passing by and before I know it, it will be too late.
Each day I tell myself I wont drink and I mean it. That lasts until lunch and the hangover has eased. By the time I get home I tell myself I will stop tomorrow. This goes on day after day.

The longest I have stopped is around 20days. I did this with the help of you guys on here. I'm going to try again starting today. But this time I am looking at this as a change of life style where drinking is no longer an option and not waiting for an excuse to start again. I may need your help :ghug
Old 09-01-2008, 03:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well pixy i'll join you as today is the first day of my 4th attempt this year to stop drinking.

I managed 3 weeks in january but other than that its only been a few days at a time. I really have to make it count this time.

I'm so sick and tired of feeling awful. I look round the site gaining courage from some of the stories.

Good luck to you

x
Old 09-01-2008, 03:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Wibble.

We will have to stop one day or it will kill us and the way I feel right now it will be sooner rather than later.

Lets do this! Lol am I sounding positive?
Old 09-01-2008, 03:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

Glad you've decided its time for change
take it one day at a time
the reward is a happy healthy life
good luck
and you can do it
Old 09-01-2008, 04:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, it can be done. You only have to want to be sober more than you want to drink.

:ghug3
Old 09-01-2008, 05:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah you are sounding positive and thats a big big step in the right direction.

I beat a monster addiction to cocaine but used booze as my way of getting off it...not the best idea. I doubt i'll turn that one into self help book ;-)

Just be positive and take it one step at a time, one day at a time.

I really think this forum helps so much, so many positive people with experiences of exactly what we are going through.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ok im sounding positive, now I just need to feel it Ha Ha
Old 09-01-2008, 05:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pixy1 View Post
Ok im sounding positive, now I just need to feel it Ha Ha
you're 50% there... ;-)
Old 09-01-2008, 05:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Pixy.

There is alot of support and help here, keep reading and posting.

Sax
Old 09-01-2008, 07:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I too find SR a valuable part of my recovery from alcoholism.
I use it as a supplement to my real life AA committment.

Hope you too will find sobriety joy filled..
Old 09-01-2008, 07:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

The longest I have stopped is around 20days. I did this with the help of you guys on here. I'm going to try again starting today. But this time I am looking at this as a change of life style where drinking is no longer an option and not waiting for an excuse to start again. I may need your help

Hi Pixy, YaY!!!
:ghug2

all happiness and success,
Robby
Old 09-01-2008, 08:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome back Pixy, your story sounds all too familiar. To break the cycle in the first few weeks, I came on SR a lot, I did more things with the kids, read and started to get some exercise. Keep on plugging away and use whatever method you can and best wishes to you.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

How did you get on the rest of the day Pixy?
Old 09-01-2008, 12:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Pixy,

Good for you on getting serious about it-that's great! You can do this! I know for me it was really important in the beginning to change some of my routines, because most of them were all around drinking whenever I could. Staying active really helped, I'd clean the house, do some baking, weed my garden-anything other than sit down for too long because I used to sit at my PC or on my couch and drink.I had to break the association.

As someone else suggested here-doing things with your kids is a great start.It'll keep you busy and they'll enjoy the fact that you're engaged with them again too.

You have a ton of support here-I'm glad you're going to use it,

Jules
Old 09-01-2008, 03:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Today has been ok. It's only day 1 but its one more than I had yesterday.
I have kept busy and did some work in the garden.

I was in a terrible mood earlier this evening and prob need to say sorry to my partner
Old 09-01-2008, 03:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi and welcome Pixy1 .

Saying you're sorry when you mean it is never wrong. Good luck with it .
Old 09-01-2008, 05:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I just cant think straight anymore. I have no energy for my children or our home I feel life is passing by and before I know it, it will be too late.
Each day I tell myself I wont drink and I mean it. That lasts until lunch and the hangover has eased. By the time I get home I tell myself I will stop tomorrow. This goes on day after day.

Wow, is this my life story or what. Over and over....The kids need me, we went school shopping today, it about killed me. All I want to do it get in bed and sleep. Enough is enough. I have decided that tomorrow is my day...I tried to control it with mediocre results over the weekend...my body is tired, my brain is tired. I didnt' drink last night and had the best time playing cards with the whole family and watching a movie that I actually "stayed awake" until the end. Unforturnately I chose to drink today cuz I am stressed about getting everything ready for school tomorrow...lotta help that has been...any way...I will be starting gung ho on the morrow!! Lets go for it!!!
cindy
Old 09-01-2008, 07:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Pixy and Wibble, you two have inspired me to stop too. Well I have been denying that I am an alcoholic, but since I can't seem to quit for more than a few days and since I can't seem to drink "socially" you know just one or two, and since I keep making excuses to not stop, and since my drinking is starting to effect my work, I have called in "sick" more frequently than ever. I think it is time to admit I have a problem and look for help. so here I am. I haven't drank since last night and I don't want to start again. Two years ago I quit for 30 days and felt great. Started drinking while on vacation and have been got right back into the groove again. Drink, feel like crap, say I need to quit, stop for a day or so and then find an excuse any excuse to drink again after work to late night. Beer and wine mostly, but I'll do shots at the bar. That has been my MO for the past 20 years, yep 20 years. I don't drink during the day, only when I get lonely after work and seek out social friends. At least that is the excuse that has helped me deny my problem. So I am going to use this website, the forums, chat, and resources to get sober
Old 09-02-2008, 12:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome Jho, i'm glad we did something good and encouraged someone else to stop with us!
Your story sounds so familiar to mine, trying to prove you aren't an alcoholic by starving yourself from booze for a couple of days and then finding a reason you HAVE to drink isn't good.

Hope you made it through the evening ok. Let us know what you are up to on day 2.

Pixy, hope bacon-gate wasn't too serious !!!!
Old 09-02-2008, 01:41 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Jig

Hello and welcome Pixy