Settlement Conference

Old 08-27-2008, 07:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Settlement Conference

As I posted a few weeks ago my divorce case has been continued. STBXAH's lawyer was suspended and his case was given to another lawyer in the company. There is supposed to be a docket call on Sept.3rd to find out when the case will actually be heard.

Yesterday I get a letter from my lawyer stating that there will be a settlement conference on Sept. 18th at her office.

So, I'm figuring STBXAH has decided he doesn't want to go to court because he knows he doesn't really have a leg to stand on. He knows I have proof of all the things he's done.

Now I'm a little nervous because I feel like this is some sort of manipulation. A f2f meeting could be a disadvantage for me because I'll end up feeling guilty for not wanting to give him what he thinks he deserves. Personally, I don't feel like he deserves a whole lot after everything he put us through. At the same time I don't want to look like I'm trying to get revenge because I'm not.

Has anyone had to do this instead of going to court? Did it work in your favor?

Sue

Old 08-27-2008, 07:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was uncomfortable with F2F meetings during my divorce proceedings as well. Therefore, when those meetings happened my XAH and I were in seperate rooms. My lawyer went back and forth for me.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My XH and I were placed in separate rooms also. The lawyers did their talking, came back in the room, talked to us, went out & talked some more - etc. I think settlement conferences are a pretty 'common' part of the divorce process, although I could be wrong. If you cannot be in different rooms, I suggest you let your lawyer do all the talking - that's what they are there, and get paid, for.

Good luck!
Old 08-27-2008, 07:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Let you attorney do the talking. Work out ahead of time what you want and what you are willing to give up. Make 2 lists perhaps. One laying out the best case and the other laying out the bottom line minimum. But in the meeting doin't talk unless you have to, follow your attorney's advice. That's what you are paying the attorney to do. I assume you will meet with your attorney ahead of time to work out the details and get an exsplanation of what to expect.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. I plan on calling my lawyer to find out the details. I hope we won't be in the same room. That would be a huge weight off my shoulders.

My lawyer and I have already talked about what I want so we shouldn't have to do that. I may make the 2 lists though, just to be on the safe side.

I'm also glad to know that I shouldn't have to really say anything. Thank goodness for lawyers!!!

We'll see how it goes. No sense in worrying, just gather the information and see what happens. I know God has a plan.

Sue