Notices

First post. Bing every month help

Old 08-27-2008, 12:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation First post. Bing every month help

Hello, this is my first post.
Approx 10 years ago I went through some hard **** and lost everything. I have now managed to get some of it back and am scared of losing it all again. I drink fairly normally every Thursday and Sat. night but it seems like about every 3rd to 4th weekend I dive off a nice safe swimming pool into a shark infested lagoon. I have no idea what happens, i wake up after drinking the night before and cant stop for 5 to 7 days. I cant stop. In a perfect world I would just stick to the once or twice a week. Currently on my 4th day of a bing. I want to stop but got up this morning and got Rum again. Can any anyone give me advice
Old 08-27-2008, 12:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

...Welcome to our recovery community

After all your losses...when you were rebuilding
were you drinking then? Or using drugs?

Do you think there is a corrolation between
being clean and sober and your success?

Are you an alcoholic? Are you ready to abstain?

...No need to anser me...just something for
you to think about.

Please see if you find this link interesting

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

Glad you found us....
Old 08-27-2008, 12:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zodi View Post
I want to stop but got up this morning and got Rum again. Can any anyone give me advice
How much do you want to stop?Because I know for me it had to get to the point where I wanted that MORE than I wanted to drink-and it took me down a really nasty road in the meantime....

I'm sorry you're struggling-but stick around here-read the many posts of other people just like you-who managed to help themselves and climb out of the dark place you're currently in.

I never thought I'd get out at one point either-but I learned I could.You have to want to though and it takes committment.There is a ton of support here.I hope you make use of it.

Welcome

Jules.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes I think i am an alcoholic. I want to stop the binges. They are getting closer together. After my losses I was drinking moderatly. I my mind there doesnt seem to be a corrolation, just luck and bad luck. I am thinking of quitting but keep thinking i can modarate. I dont have cravings in a normal day. After I have been drinking I just cant quit. I want to be able to quit after I start drinking and not go on a bing.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

There is a program ...Moderation Management you might want
to check out. To begin their method you are to have 30
days without a drink. I think they also say it is not for
alcoholics ... Google for their site.

Whatever you find that works beneficially for you is great!

Keep posting...you are not alone with your concerns.
.....I am an AA recovered alcoholic
Old 08-27-2008, 01:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I cant say much except moderatation never really worked for me. In fact. I skipped moderation and went strait to a hellacious habit. The more I tried to moderate. The more I fooled myself and became worse.
But everyone is different. But rarely it works.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Perfectly Flawed

Don't sound like it's gonna get better mate.
30 days on the wagon might be a good start, you can then reappraise your relationship to drinking with a clear head and revitalised (You Yanks like your 'Z's don't ya)brain chemicals.
Sobriety's like a whole new drug of choice when you've tried it a few times.

Hope you keep posting.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
where the light is

Originally Posted by zodi View Post
Yes I think i am an alcoholic. I want to stop the binges. They are getting closer together. After my losses I was drinking moderatly. I my mind there doesnt seem to be a corrolation, just luck and bad luck. I am thinking of quitting but keep thinking i can modarate. I dont have cravings in a normal day. After I have been drinking I just cant quit. I want to be able to quit after I start drinking and not go on a bing.
When my drinking was at its worst, I was binging three days continuously, three or four times a month. I would be able to moderate every now and then and this would keep the fantasy alive that I was not an alcoholic.

I am very well acquainted with those mornings. I would come to, still half drunk from the night before and crack open a beer or have a shot of vodka before the buzz wore off. I could not stop myself. Round, round we go.

I have zero doubt in my mind - I am an alcoholic. If I keep drinking, it will get worse, I will lose everything. There is absolutely no way for me to rationalize my continued drinking. There is no excuse. I will never be able to moderate - an alcoholic’s fantasy.

Once I accepted that I am an alcoholic, I was able to move forward with my recovery (AA, counseling, support of family & friends). A whole new world & life opened up for me once I accepted that I can’t drink and the obsession was lifted.

Best wishes. There is a great life within your grasp but it takes reaching out for help, patience & hard work.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When my drinking was at its worst, I was binging three days continuously, three or four times a month. I would be able to moderate every now and then and this would keep the fantasy alive that I was not an alcoholic.
\

Me too. I'd wake up after a night drinking and go on these long 3-7 day binges. This last year is when that really started being a scary habit and I couldn't stop when I was in the middle of them. I really think the binge drinking is harder on our bodies than regular daily drinking. Our poor bodies go through this process of alcohol overload and then withdrawal. It's a terrible shock to the system and it also can be deadly. You already have the suggestions above and they are good ones. I wanted to chime in a "me too." You are not alone. There's a better life if you'd like to have it for yourself.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR, great advoce you have here, keep reading and posting.

Kevin
Old 08-27-2008, 05:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have nothing to add to all of the wonderful advice above.

Welcome to SR. Keep posting...