Help Secular People!

Old 08-26-2008, 09:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Help Secular People!

Someone please "smack" me on the forehead if I ever post in another thread that discusses anything having to do with a HP. I'm sorry I ever looked at it--I really am. I need to stop reading the one that's gotten some interesting responses because I'm starting to get a headache ....................

*Breathe* ....................In with the good air, out with the bad............................................... ......I need to get off of this computer..........I hope I'm not getting addicted to the internet again!
Old 08-26-2008, 09:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I'm having the same problem.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry, Bamboozle As you can see I can't help myself right now!
Old 08-26-2008, 09:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Take a break, homies.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

The only reason I originally posted in that thread was because it was filed under the "Newcomers to Recovery" section...PLUS, it wasn't really clear in its intentions. I personally didn't like the tone of where the thread was going, so I put in my own thoughts as to the HP question. I was concerned that someone in a similar situation to mine would get discouraged and turned off to SR by some of the comments that had been made. My intention was never to slam anyone's method of recovery, and I apologize again to anyone reading this who got that impression. Although that thread is an interesting read, it’s gone completely off topic. The original author should start a new thread with clear intentions as to which direction the thread should take. I can only hope that newcomers to SR who are more secularly oriented will find this “Secular Connections” forum. Sadly, it doesn’t garner the level of traffic that the “Newcomers” section does. Thank you everyone and sorry for complaining.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Hey, no worries. I've been dealing with it for 3 years! When I first got here, there was no Secular Connections (Thank you MG & Alera). Things are slowly changing. Here and in the real world. I found this post really helpful:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post1886181

Read that one (if you haven't already) and then bounce out.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Thanks, DK.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks DK...I hesitated but then posted.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Captain Lurker

I am right there with you bamboozle, those posts do get off track fast. Hot/Cold, black/white sort of thing. No in between and that isn't right IMHO. We all have our own opinions/paths that work for us, or keep us searching... and mine is not yours (not you per say) and yours is not mine.

I will keep my opinions here. Where we seem to be on the same page at least. And try very hard to help each other.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zencat View Post
I'm having the same problem.
Me too.

Hi Bamboozle.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Um, keep coming back. LOL
Old 08-26-2008, 07:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hi everyone...sometimes I just can't help myself when it comes to those threads....character flaw?.......I guess? I know it's always another exercise in futility every time I look, but.......(moth to a flame...........)....???

Krissy.....I like your avatar.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I am McLovin'

I don't post a whole lot, but I know to keep my opinions to myself in those types of threads.

I've had a bit of experience with both AA and secular programs. I've come to believe that the biggest indicator if a program will work, is if you believe it will....and I just leave it at that.

But anyway, saw the south park episode 'bloody mary' last night, it's AA related and gave me a chuckle. Not for the easily offended, but it's available online if you google it.

night all.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I, Bamboozle, hereby pledge to keep my opinions/personal experiences to myself the next time I stumble across a thread like that.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I don't know, Bamboozle. I think the reason things are changing in the recovery community and the treatment industry is because people are speaking out. It's not about what you say, but how you say it, IMO. I might have found recovery years ago had I been given some options.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hello, my name is Katie, and I am addicted to debating with god-people even though it does nothing but p!ss both of us off.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

But I will not be asking a HP to remove the desire to debate from me.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I just read through that thread....wow...glad I'd missed out! lol
Old 08-27-2008, 09:01 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

I seem to be in the same boat as all of you! I am sometimes intentionally 15 mins late to meetings and slip out just before the closing prayer thing! I am still stuck on this HP thing. How does one get past step 2 and 3 w/out a "Higher Power"?

My best friend is a Christian and she is always trying to get me to go to church with her, so are a few other people. I am really getting tired of being asked!! I just tell them N/A meetings are my "church"!!
Old 08-27-2008, 09:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
Hi everyone...sometimes I just can't help myself when it comes to those threads....character flaw?.......I guess? I know it's always another exercise in futility every time I look, but.......(moth to a flame...........)....???
...LOL

My adverse reactions to HP stuff started out as a symptom of PTSD and then became a personality flaw (disorder?). So it is seems that I try to displace my frustration (disorder?) onto others that have HP beliefs. Creating more frustration. For now, until I work out a strategy (future secular recovery topic?) to deal with my problem avoidance of any symptom trigger is best.