Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I've finally admitted that my life is falling to **** and I need help!

Notices

Old 08-26-2008, 01:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am not to sure where to start other than i don't know how long i've been a regular drinker for... maybe ten years (I'm 30)? I do know that my romantic one glass of wine when I got home from a stressfull day at work has now turned into too may. I regularly go through the cycle of feelling crap because i drank too much the night before and then drinking cause I feel crap and then stopping the next day cause i feel even more crap... then drinking the next cause I feel good. I find it impossible to just have one or two and I feel like such a looser because of this all the time.

I have a successfull career, a beautifull home, a nice car and all the trappings of what appears to be a successfull life... But I feel like I have a double life and I hate it. The first thing I do when I get home is open a bottle of wine because when i don't know what to do with myself. What do normal 30 year old single people do? Not go home and have an anxiety attack untill they have a drink i'm sure.

I have had stupid drunken arguements with most of my closest friends and even though at the time I probably though I was justified in my opinions... i know that the blur of alcohol has probably made me unreasonable. So hence I have lost friends as a result of my drinking and I know that it is about time i faced up to my problem.

That is why I am here, I am too embarrased to tell my doctor or go to AA or councelling, so I am looking for people that can give me advise on how to be a better person and stop drinking.

I want to be that person that proudly says yes drinking was a part of my life but i was no good at it so I stopped. I want my family and friends to see me for the real me again. I would really appreciate some advise and guidence on how this site works. Thank you.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Jig

Hi Fu7pink,

Welcome to SR. There's pleanty of help and support here. Just read the other threads and post whenever you feel like it. Congratulations on making the decision to change your life.

I am only early in my own recovery but I am already feeling better and thinking more clearly. Stick around and hang on to that resolve to stop drinking.

All the best,

Jig
Old 08-26-2008, 01:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Jig, I can't believe that in all the time that I have wanted to be sober i never thought before to look up help. As bad as it sounds it's nice to know I am not alone.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

Welcome pink you have found a really great site here, it and the people on here have been a big part of my recovery. Spend lots of time here as needed you will feel at home right away. Check out the stickies at the top of each section for a great head start. Congratulations on choosing a new future.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you I am excited about the support that people in the know are willing to offer... Sorry but what are stickies? And could you please tell me how to use the chat room? I logged in but nothing happens. Bless x
Old 08-26-2008, 02:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

stickies are the posts at the top of each forum.

Welcome to SR, you'll find info and support

and nice people in the same boat as yourself.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR. Lots of support here. Im in the chat room with Paulos right now if you would like to join us. Just click on the chat room and then click on "enter chat room."
Old 08-26-2008, 03:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am too embarrased to tell my doctor or go to AA or councelling

Hey there!!! What I read and stood out to me was the fact that you didn't want to go to an AA meeting or were too embarassed to tell your doctor. For me the best thing was having a little humility and being humbled by my drinking. Being able to say out loud to another drunk, counselor, doctor, friend and so on that "I'm an alcoholic and I need help." I think this site is wonderful however it is because of what you said that I encourage you to put it out there to people who are in a position to help you. I feel that by coming here you can hide out here and by not making one's self accountable it's easier to just let it go, change our minds and wait until things get real bad.

I'm just throwing it out there. One of my biggest problems was me and I'm pretty sure a lot of other alcoholics and addicts here could probably admit the same thing. You want to get sober but the ego and all...........

I wouldn't have said all I've said if I didn't understand and haven't been in your shoes absolutely 100%!!!!! If my doctor ever asked me how many glasses of wine I had, do you think I told him the truth? "Yeah, I get that big disgusting $10 Box-O-Wine and I drink that straight until I run out and then buy another one at a different store so they don't know that I drank that whole thing in a day and I'm ready for the next one." PUH-LEASE!!!! LOL!!!!!

It's just a suggestion but I do encourage you to seek some tangible help out there, go to a meeting, raise your hand and just tell people it's your first meeting. I bet you'll be surprised at how much wonderful support you'll receive and how many people would be willing to help.

Good luck to you!!!! And Congrats on your first step.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Vegibean, but I don't know where to begin... That is why I am here.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome and I am hearing you about the double life, thats how I feel too. I see mums at school, and although not knowing their personal details, I wish I could be "like them". And I can't stop at one glass either. Best wishes to you.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Depending on how much and how often you've been drinking could mean that detoxing could be dangerous. Please do talk with your doctor and be honest about your drinking. Please be safe when withdrawing from alcohol!
Old 08-26-2008, 06:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I could not have said it better - Welcome to SR. WE can do it together..

Originally Posted by vegibean View Post
I am too embarrased to tell my doctor or go to AA or councelling

Hey there!!! What I read and stood out to me was the fact that you didn't want to go to an AA meeting or were too embarassed to tell your doctor. For me the best thing was having a little humility and being humbled by my drinking. Being able to say out loud to another drunk, counselor, doctor, friend and so on that "I'm an alcoholic and I need help." I think this site is wonderful however it is because of what you said that I encourage you to put it out there to people who are in a position to help you. I feel that by coming here you can hide out here and by not making one's self accountable it's easier to just let it go, change our minds and wait until things get real bad.

I'm just throwing it out there. One of my biggest problems was me and I'm pretty sure a lot of other alcoholics and addicts here could probably admit the same thing. You want to get sober but the ego and all...........

I wouldn't have said all I've said if I didn't understand and haven't been in your shoes absolutely 100%!!!!! If my doctor ever asked me how many glasses of wine I had, do you think I told him the truth? "Yeah, I get that big disgusting $10 Box-O-Wine and I drink that straight until I run out and then buy another one at a different store so they don't know that I drank that whole thing in a day and I'm ready for the next one." PUH-LEASE!!!! LOL!!!!!

It's just a suggestion but I do encourage you to seek some tangible help out there, go to a meeting, raise your hand and just tell people it's your first meeting. I bet you'll be surprised at how much wonderful support you'll receive and how many people would be willing to help.

Good luck to you!!!! And Congrats on your first step.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Yeah, what least said. Go to the Alcoholism forum and read through the information at the top so you can know what to expect when you withdraw. Use the search function for specific topics. You'll find a lot of true stories to pick through. Keep reading!
Old 08-26-2008, 06:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Pink -

There is alot of good advice above from the others.

I understand that becoming sober can be very overwhelming. Just take a deep breath or two and concentrate on what you're going to do today to stay sober.

Keep posting here, there are wonderfull people to offer support to you.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your support... Yes it is scary and I know I do have a problem. I know also that I can't do it on my own and need to be honest with my doctor and also get couselling. I am not minimising my problem by any means though I don't wake up and drink day in day out... I would like to be honest with you all and say that yes I for some reason don't know how to stop at one and yes I do drink most nights a bottle of wine... Yes it concerns me... But at the moment this feels like the right step for me because it offers me some insight to what I need to do from people in the same boat. So thank you again.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 08-27-2008, 08:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I can really relate to your situation. I have felt just like you are
feeling. I didn't know what was wrong with me. I thought I was
losing my mind. I screwed up my courage and went to an AA
meeting. I was lucky and found some men who asked me if I was
done with living the way I was living. I said I was, and they helped
me find out what it means to be Alcoholic. I found that I had all
the symtoms and could relate to their experences.

I was not losing my mind, I was sick. They layed out what I had to
do to get well, as decribed in the Big Book of Alcholics Anonymous.
I become willing to do what they suggested and I have RECOVERED.
I have the life I always dreamed about when I was loaded. All it
took is a little willingness.

I will be praying for you as I am sure the rest of the good folks
here will as well. God bless you for making a start.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:19 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi fu7pink - I'm close to your age - 32. Welcome to the site.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Fu7pink,

Hi. I think you've taken a big step! Welcome! I do recommend an A.A. meeting when you feel you are ready. I have heard many women in A.A. say that they drank to calm their anxiety, some even progressed to agoraphobia but once they got sober they realized that the drinking was the cause of the problem not the solution and their anxiety problem was resolved. Our minds can go through great lengths to trick us into getting that drink. Hope this helps,

John
Old 08-28-2008, 04:06 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Wow... Thank you all again. I know that having a drinking problem is not unique but as you all probably have experienced it does feel sometimes like a personal battle and alienating when you don't know where to turn. I wish that I had someone to hold my hand and take me to AA because I don't have the courage walk in on my own (I didn't mean that as an actual suggestion)... I just feel that I'm not in denial anymore (isn't admission the first step?), I want my life back, my body back, my hope and joy back but right now I want to digest that I am talking so openly about my feelings with you guys over the net before I see anyone face to face to discuss it. But I will be sure to let you know when I'm ready... :0)