Notices

Higher Power...?

Old 08-25-2008, 09:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Higher Power...?

Anyone who cannot come to believe in the Higher Power concept often needs only to realize that they have been in the grasp of a Lower Power compelling them to use alcohol and/or drugs.

A Higher Power is the opposite of the Lower Power (which may currently control you). A Higher Power does not have to be religious. Call it God, call it nature, call it a supreme being, call it whatever you like, for you get to choose your Higher Power, and you get to choose your Higher Power’s level of influence. A Higher Power wants you to have a GREAT life.

So… if you are having a problem grasping the concept of a Higher Power, maybe just start by knowing it is the opposite of a Lower Power?

The Lower Power wants to waste your life away until you die.

(Just my opinions, thanks for taking the time to read it.)
Old 08-25-2008, 09:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks Tommy, that was a brillant!
Old 08-25-2008, 10:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Would it not need to be personal and interventionalist to be in context?
Old 08-25-2008, 10:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's the thing, I believe in tons of power greater than myself. Gravity, forest fires, meteors, hurricanes, the sun. Where this concept trips me up is making any of these HPs take a personal interest in me. (I have already considered the "sun god" concept and it just doesn't make enough sense to me )
Old 08-25-2008, 12:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well said TommyK. My higher power is the voice in my head that finally makes me resist my alcohol temptations. Positivity in my world is also my higher power these days.. The sometimes overwhelming sense I get when reading our SR community posts is a sort of higher power for me.. Finally some of the wisdom I've read on here really puts things into perspective.

Sorry, a little bit of a ramble, but I hope you get my point...

Heavy
Old 08-25-2008, 01:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I do get your point, and it is a GREAT point.

Positivity, and the sense of caring one feels from this site is a Higher Power.

That's a great observation, I love it.

(There will always be people who's disease will make them 'intellectualize' themselves out of believing in a power greater than themselves. Unfortunately the disease sometimes wins. But it doesn't have to! )
Old 08-25-2008, 04:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

(There will always be people who's disease will make them 'intellectualize' themselves out of believing in a power greater than themselves. Unfortunately the disease sometimes wins. But it doesn't have to! )
cos intellectualism is bad? LOL

many paths Tommy, many paths...
D
Old 08-25-2008, 04:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm suspicious of any group that tells me I need to use my brain less. :-/
Old 08-25-2008, 04:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SelfSeeking View Post
I'm suspicious of any group that tells me I need to use my brain less. :-/
I don't know about that. My best thinking got me were I was in the first place. Maybe it's just me?

Lenina
Old 08-25-2008, 04:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Backing away from the keyboard. I am banning myself from this thread! Happy Higher Powers for everyone that wants one!
Old 08-25-2008, 04:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm still trying to find the balance between my intellect and my heart. Neither one should have all the input cause both can cause trouble making decisions on their own. A good mix of both is what I'm trying to achieve.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

My worst, addicted, drug induced thinking got me where I was. My best, rational, sober thinking gets and keeps me out. And of course, my sober friends help me stay on track.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

twas not my intention to rubbish the idea of HP or press my ideas on anyone. I don't go with the orthodoxy but that's ok.

I just get fired up with the 'my best thinking got me here' anti intellectual bit. I think it's one of the worst aphorisms around, to be honest.

Wrong thinking got me to where I was.

Thinking less didn't get me out...thinking more - *really* thinking - not enabling, not giving up, not being complacent, looking at where my thoughts were leading to - did.

Happy trails...and may the HP of your choice go with you.

D
Old 08-25-2008, 04:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by tommyk View Post
I've seen plenty of people who believe in HP's relapse and a few die, some from this site. The 'disease' doesn't care what kind of mythology you believe in.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

As a person who currently does not believe in any deities but once upon a time did, I find it impossible to refer to ANYTHING as a "Higher Power". I know what it feels like to believe in a god, so for me to refer to anything as a "Higher Power" when I believe that such a thing does not exist is silly (no...I’m not saying that believing in a god or gods is silly, in case anyone was wondering). I see how this approach could work for some, but knowing where I’m coming from, it will not work for me. And that’s just fine.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Dee,

I don't know. Realizing that my ability to think rationally around my addiction issues was not the best, that the monster that lives inside my brain will take over unless I am always vigilant, I thought it best that I listen to others who had tamed that beast.

I do not succumb to TV infomercials nor the pandering of politicians. I don't blindly follow any jingoism.

For me, having a sense of trust in others who were recovering from the same malady as me, helped me get and stay sober. And able to enjoy my life again.

Love,

Lenina
Old 08-25-2008, 06:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't have an issue with what you said here Lenina...except that if your ability to think rationally around yr addiction issues was 'not the best'....how then can your best thinking have bought you to were you were ?

LOL If your best thinking was then - what's it now - super best?

Maybe it's semantics - it's a bugbear of mine, and I don't expect anyone to agree with me.

The main point is, as you pointed out, we all need guidance and support - *noone* gets out of this alone.

How ppl conceptualise that guidance, and how much they trust themselves or rely on advice, is up to them.

Whatever works

D
Old 08-25-2008, 06:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I just came from a meeting where a guy shared that his Higher Power is 'goodness', and that his HP represents everything 'good'.

I liked that, pretty easy to understand.

(Not trying to start any arguments or debates here folks. Just trying to help those who want help in finding / believing in a Higher Power. If anything you see here from me helps, maybe take note of it - if it doesn't help, ignore it. I'm nobody special, no reason to dwell on my words. If you're looking for ammunition and reasons NOT to believe in a Higher Power you are guaranteed to find them. Thanks for allowing me to share.)
Old 08-25-2008, 06:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
Would it not need to be personal and interventionalist to be in context?
No. Not in my opinion.

I have a problem with this thread, I see multiple members that frequent the secular forums belittling the HP concept brought up by others in this thread. I regularly visit and support the secular forums and never preach the HP concept there. Why? Because IMHO it is inappropriate.

Isn't it equally inappropriate to openly question others' beliefs in a HP? How does this help them stay sober, which is, after all, the reason for these forums?

I am sure I will get in trouble for posting this, but I don't give a damn.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I saw discussion, DG

stepping out before this turns ugly...
D