Need Luck and Advice Soon!!

Old 08-25-2008, 08:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

Wink Need Luck and Advice Soon!!

Well wish me luck after 2 today I'm going to give my notice! I'm excited, nervous, scared and a tiny bit sad. But going back to what Mike's thread about fantasy, I've lived in this work fantasy waiting for what i want to happen when in reality I'm at a dead end and this is the PERFECT time to move on.

Just not sure how to go about it, I'm going to let him know that I'm with them until they physically leave the office which is the 19th. Do i wait to see what he comes back with. I'm not the type of person to go in demanding what i think i deserve severance wise. There are a couple of things, like my left over vacation and hope they don't fight me on unemployment seeing as the distance and the short notice.

I'm not going to worry yet, who knows what he has to come back with since he knows there's a chance i am leaving based on last weeks conversation! Keep your fingers crossed i don't come back here sobbing lol!!!!

Thanks in advance!!
Old 08-25-2008, 09:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Heather)))

I've never been in that situation, so don't have any advice. Hopefully, they will make you a good deal since you've been there so long.

Sending you big hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 08-25-2008, 09:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

As far as severance pay, I doubt they are required to offer any. Its traditional (at least with larger companies) to offer 1 week severance for each year worked. I somehow doubt that standard applies to a small company. I would wait to see if they offer severance and perhaps negotiate from that starting point if you think its too low.

I believe they are required to pay for any accumulated vacation time but that may depend on state laws.

And do apply for unemployment. Even if they fight you, you may get it anyway.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't know how unemployment works, but as far as the vacation time goes, what about asking them if they want you to take your remaining vacation prior to the move, or would they rather you "stay till the end" and then reimburse you for the unspent vacation time? That way, you are laying out what you are entitled to, but letting them make the choice of how they'll give it to you.

Change is scary, good for you for seeing it for what it is!

juju
Old 08-25-2008, 09:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by juju View Post
I don't know how unemployment works, but as far as the vacation time goes, what about asking them if they want you to take your remaining vacation prior to the move, or would they rather you "stay till the end" and then reimburse you for the unspent vacation time? That way, you are laying out what you are entitled to, but letting them make the choice of how they'll give it to you.
That potentially cuts what money HBB would normally receive.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good luck, hbb. These things are never easy, but some of the greatest things in life require ridin' on some bumpy roads for a little bit. Take care of YOU !
Old 08-25-2008, 10:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good Luck Heather!!
Change is scary but....Good!!!
Keep us posted!!
(((hugs)))
B.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

Hi,

I thought about that vacation, i would opt to take a paid week instead of taking it off due to no plans! And it would be more money in my pocket in the end like Barb said. I thought that after this much time with them that i didn't have to handle it the way they did and I will do it the right and respectable way. I just hate letting people down but it comes to what's best for me and my life and this is a great example of something that is not comfortable but needs to be done
Old 08-25-2008, 12:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Good Luck Heather! Keep up the positive attitude and I think you will do just fine...
Ask them about the vacation for sure-and also talk to them about the UE. It is not your fault that they are moving and distance with the way gas is not really an option!

I have a good feeling the outcome will be a good one!
Old 08-25-2008, 02:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good luck, Heather. I like how you are handling this situation with grace and good business sense, even if they didn't. I think it is always important to remain true to who you are and not lower your standards just because other do. I predict you will go far in any new job you find!
Old 08-26-2008, 08:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

Angry

Well he was much more shocked than I ever thought he would be. He tried everything to get me to go except an amount offer to go. He said he knew i wanted more money and could i move there and that he loved me and couldn't imagine me not working with them anymore. And he started to cry when he left yesterday. I of course was sobbing. He told me he couldn't even say goodbye to me when my last day came.

So needless to say last night i cried myself to sleep and today has been crappy but now I'm MAD. My other boss (his sister) already told them as of 9/30 that my insurance should be canceled. I can pay $565 in COBRA. I didn't even get so far as to talk to them about severance. I'm so mad, makes me wish i only gave them 2 weeks. Goes to show that people are looking out only for themselves.

I'm calling unemployment immediately because my brother said i could get Mass Health and collect and i told them that i would be collecting seeing as i have nothing lined up and was working till they left.

Ugggghhh I'm so angry! Never again will i give as much because nothing EVER comes full circle......
Old 08-26-2008, 08:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If you get a job that wants you to start earlier than whatever date you gave them, you are under no obligation to stay you know. Don't let their drama and problems interfere with what you need to do for your life. This is business, not friendship or family.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

Your so right....my thoughts were to take off october and not rush into something so i didn't end up like this again. You know, you would think i would learn by now that some people do what they want for themselves and don't care about others...maybe i need some of that! They don't have to do this after 10 years.....really crappy! Your right, maybe i should be looking sooner than later, i would love to leave earlier now.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Something I frequently do when job hunting (and may do myself since I'm also looking) is interview, find a job that suits me, and then give myself a week or 2 off in between. Heck you might get an offer tomorrow (once you get your resume out there) and then you can be in charge of your destiny and figure out when and how much time to take off between jobs.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

Yes my mum and i talked about that, i thought a new place wouldn't necessarily know when i end my current job. I know there are plenty of options out there! Just thought my current situation would be better, now I'm going to be angry!! I have my therapist at 1.....see sometimes things work perfectly when others don't lol!!!! At least i can flip to her in less than an hour!!!
Old 08-26-2008, 10:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Always Hopeful

I learned a while ago that corporations are not loyal. They are in it for themselves and their owners, not for you as their employee. Always look out for you!! Do go for unemployment. They should give you whatever vacation you have on the books. The right thing would be for them to give you some sort of severance, but they are not obligated. If you are feeling aggressive enough, you can ask and see what happens. I would ask. You have nothing to lose. Say something like, I am sad to leave, but I got no choice as you are moving far from here. I learned a lot over these past 10 yrs and I will miss you. I was hoping that because of my hard work and loyalty, i may be getting some sort of severance. What are your thoughts on this?. Check out the internet for jobs. Good luck to you
Old 08-28-2008, 01:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

Exclamation Never ends.....

I feel like they are beating me down. I told my boss on Monday that my final answer was that i was leaving, didn't want to work part-time and was done on the 19th of Sept. WELL today, the owner comes in (the father) and basically says that they need me soooo badly to train for a couple to few weeks at the new place because the new girl doesn't know anything. I told him that i gave 4 weeks for that reason and D only wanted 2 weeks notice. I knew they would be screwed but they knew i would be too and STILL went and got the building that far away without telling me till last Monday.

I have to give them an answer and was hoping for a firm way to tell them to screw lol!!! I don't feel like it's my responsibility....oh and to boot, due to gas, my boss was going to pick me up and drop me off....are you kidding me???? Like i'm 12 and need a ride, hows about here's an extra $100 for gas!! Oh no, i get my salary and they keep mentioning my bonus....i'm so angry and want to keep cool but feel like a punching bag at the moment. So i'm the one in the end that has guilt for how they go about things.....i've been so strong all along. Basically they say because i don't have a job yet that it would help both of us.....

Old 08-28-2008, 02:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

(((Heather)))

Stick to your guns. If they want you SOOOOOO bad for 2 more weeks, they will come off the $$. They're looking after THEIR wallets and hoping you will do what they want for no more money. THEIR back is against the wall, now....let them sweat.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 08-28-2008, 02:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Remember. This is business, not personal. Of course they want things to be the way that is best for them. That's to be expected. But you need to go forward on the basis of what is best for you.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Hi Hbb,
You know what? I would sit down and calmly come up with a plan. I got screwed by an employer because a partnership dissolved. Well I ended up moving to another county but they still needed me to tie up loose ends. So I told them I would if...
#1 they reimbursed my mileage per IRS guidelines (that is 50.5 cents per mile)
#2 they paid me a hourly wage that was 1 1/2 times my usual pay because I would have to pay my own taxes, insurance, etc.
#3 They worked with my availability because I still had to look for a job.
#4 They wrote me a glowing recommendation letter

My point is, this is business, treat it as such. No one says that you have to get screwed in the deal. Good luck!