Notices

Odd sobriety aid...

Old 08-24-2008, 07:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Odd sobriety aid...

I have 2 cans of beer in my fridge- orphans from the last case I bought. Oddly enough, I think they've actually been helping me not to drink. It's weird; whenever I used to head home from work, I'd always feel a sense of absolute panic if I knew I didn't have a single drop of alcohol in the house. I absolutely HAD to stop and pick up a case of beer, or a bottle of whiskey, on the way home. I've had the same kind of urge the last 5 nights, but I think the token presence of alcohol in my house is actually helping to ease the sense of panic I used to feel on the way home. Strange.

I'm not encouraging anyone to go out and buy alcohol as a recovery aid. It's just an odd quirk that I felt like sharing.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

well it's not my preferred method. Any beer in a half mile radius and I'd want to drink it.
Having it at home - 30 seconds of doubt and I'm sunk...and ready for the second can.

But I'm not you.

and kinda glad of that right now LOL

duck and cover BR - duck and cover.....
That's all I'm sayin'....

LOL
D
Old 08-24-2008, 07:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i had a friend that quit smoking but carried one last cigarette with her everywhere she went - it was her badge of honor - that she could carry it with her and not smoke it.
i don't have that kind of willpower but thought you'd like to know that this strategy seems to work for some
Old 08-24-2008, 08:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good for you on your sober time....

No...I could not be near alcohol in early sobriety.
I did try to keep it in case of a neucular attack.
After all...I was living in D.C. on Ground Zero.
I always got bombed ...thats for sure...

Keep posting and keep moving forward
Old 08-24-2008, 10:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

interesting....I don't know if I could do that, but then again my home is my clean sanctuary. I kind of understand the reverse psychology of it all though.....one day won't it feel good to pour it down the drain though?
Old 08-25-2008, 02:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

BR, wow, i thought i was the only knumbskull that did that...

when i was doing the housecow detox, i has a mini-8 of Bud, and two nips of Jägermeister in the back of my van...

and for just the same reason...

then, the day came when i said, i can get rid of my Bah-Bah's!

brought them over to a friends house, and dumped them off!

that was over five years ago!

you can do it BR

good wishes

rust
Old 08-25-2008, 02:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've got a bottle of wine and 2 cans of cider in the fridge. They can stay there until I have guests.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

**SIGH** My friend that I'm staying with until I move into my apt. this weekend has a bottle of wine and probably about a 12 pack of beer in there. It's been in there for longer than I have and while my head (the Alcoholic Alter Ego) likes to remind me it's there I have to shut if off.

I'm not going to ask him to dump it, I'm out of here at the end of the week but on the other hand, I also know that I would NEVER keep it in my own fridge. I'd be too Ascared!!!!!!

I guess if it works for you...........just don't drink it
Old 08-25-2008, 03:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, we have six bottles of red wine in the house as we joined some 'wine club' not too long ago!! I can honestly say I'm not in the least bit tempted. Maybe I'm in such early stages it's a novelty not to drink? I don't know, anyway, I have been giving them away as well.

If it was white wine, it's be much more difficult!!

sas
Old 08-25-2008, 05:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

"I'm not encouraging anyone to go out and buy alcohol as a recovery aid. It's just an odd quirk that I felt like sharing."

Same here.

But when I quit drinking and smoking I had to have beer & cigarettes nearby just to remind myself that it was my choice not to drink and/or smoke.

Otherwise I would go into a panic mode because I didn't have beer & cigarettes available. As long as I knew they were there if I 'needed' them I was okay.

Strange disease, huh?