Notices

Newbie here

Old 08-23-2008, 09:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie here

Hi all

I have had a hard time dealing with my addiction lately.You see I don't need to drink and
smoke on weekdays but when the weekend comes I really have a hard time staying sober.I only smoke cigarettes
when I drink.So I drink so that I can smoke cigarettes (Stupid I know),and then I drink and smoke A LOT.I've 'quit' smoking cigarettes for almost a year now,but
the last 10 or so weekends this has been happening.I'd drink and smoke when Friday comes and the next day I would tell myself that I'm done,until next weekend.
Two weeks ago I promised my wife that I'm quitting drinking,until last night all was well,obviously I've failed.I don't need to drink everyday.
I can't remember when last I had a drink on a weekday.
I then convince myself that I don't have a problem.But when I drink
I can't stop.All the bad stuff I've done in my life happened when I was drunk.I had an Issue
with crack cocaine which I have been sober from for 2 years in September.But like other things
I only use to smoke crack when I got drunk.I have gone through a good patch the last year or so but recently I have started my old ways again.I have not used drugs
again but I fear that I'm loosing control again.Have any of you have similar experiences.And please,tell me that I have an drinking problem!

Many Thanks
Old 08-23-2008, 09:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community

Do you have a plan to quit drinking?
Old 08-23-2008, 09:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi there and WELCOME! A lot of us don't fit into the mould of "everyday drinkers". I, personally, am a binge drinker. I'd drink on weekends and get blasted....and bad things would inevitably happen from those drinking nights (of what I can recall...a lot of blackouts). But I am definitely an alcoholic. Only you can know whether or not this is something you want to try and stop doing...only you can know if it's a problem. For me, the very fact that I have try and stop myself from drinking and find that difficult tells me I have major issues with alcohol.

So glad you're here, though! Welcome to the forum!
Old 08-23-2008, 09:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Carol

I feel stupid posting here,I read all these other posts and I can see myself in their shoes.I may be able to control my drinking in the week but it's still very painful when the weekend comes.I do not have a plan,I need one.....
Old 08-23-2008, 09:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SoberRecovery.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Dancinggirl

Thanks for your reply,It is very comforting to hear from someone who does not fit the mould.I truly want to stop poisoning myself.I just find myself telling myself that I'm fine and can stop it again if I have to.I've stopped for long periods of time 2,3 months just to start again....
Old 08-23-2008, 09:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thx t2s
Old 08-23-2008, 09:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Can you guys give me some tips when times get tough and your left with the decision to
drink or not to drink...
Old 08-23-2008, 09:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Change your pattern...mix up your day. On the weekends when you normally go out or drink at home, have a PLAN of some other activity that you're going to do instead. Get busy doing something/anything else. For instance, if you normally go out with friends to a bar, why not instead hit a restaurant and drive everyone? Or, if you normally stay at home and drink, why not instead plan a family get-together to hang out with everyone? Or plan a huge cleaning spree? Or go for a nature day. Something you can't do drunk.

The key is to PLAN....because as I've discovered, the impulsivity of drinking is the split second where we have a yes/no moment and usually the yes wins....unless we've planned ahead and structured our time in other things.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please don't feel odd using our recovery site.
It enhances my recovery to share and I hope it
will help you too.

Change....it is about change I think.
I needed to change many things to stay sober.

You might want to begin looking at the time
you drink. Say....7 on Friday?
Then at 7 you do something different.
It can be anything...walking...showering...dom't do
your usual pattern of activities.

Stop buying alcohol and cigarettes.
Don't have them at home.

As you have no trouble physically not drinking
during the week....you are ahead of me when
I quit ....
Old 08-23-2008, 09:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I use to tell myself that I would go to the gym on Friday nights and it worked for a while.I will try and find other fun things to do.I find It very difficult being around people while they are drinking,they look so happy and I'm just sitting there gritting my teeth! It really pees me of,why do I have this problem and others can have two or three drinks and then stop.When I drink,I do it with a vengeance.My father was an alcoholic and he use to beat my mother,I just never want to be like him... Thanks for the reply,its a huge relief to be able to chat to you guys
Old 08-23-2008, 09:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Carol,thank you for taking time to reply,you guys are wonderful.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

TF: I certainly couldn't hang out with people who were drinking and not drink!!! Not at this stage, anyways! Find some kind of activity that isn't around alcohol at all. And keep hanging out here, so much to learn in these threads.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Like I said,Two weeks a I told my wife that I would quit.We have a baby on the way and I don't want this uncertainty in my life when our little girl arrives.I want to make a clean break.I find it very hard to think of never drinking again.I also find it hard to use the 'take it a day at a time' method,because I do not have a problem everyday.I usually find the urge to drink after a big amount of stress.I feel I can do so much more with my life if I did not have this burden...
Old 08-23-2008, 10:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'll take your advice dancing girl,thx
Old 08-23-2008, 10:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey Fisher!

You feel you can do so much more with your life without the burden of alcohol because it is TRUE.

Carol is right it is all about change, your behavior must change....hell it's hard at first...but then it becomes natural.

Congrats on the new baby, she deserves a sober Daddy!

Be what you were meant to be before the alcohol became your focus.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

thanks bugsworth,you give me hope.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think the attraction to alcoholic for me lies in the fact that I can forget everything and feel good for a couple of hours.I suppose everyone feels like that to some degree or another.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Your welcome, stick around....wonderful people hang out here at SR....we all have the same goal...life as it was meant free of addiction.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober