Notices

5 days in

Old 08-22-2008, 04:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 days in

Am 5 days without a drink now, a working week - a first for a while

Things may be looking up - maybe i'll get to 14 days, like early in the year, or more, or maybe tomorrow I'll pick up on my way home?

past 6/7 years could have been so different, but how have you successes (I've read a few threads) push yourselves on for month after month..

how do you pluck up the courage to go into your first meeting alone?
Old 08-22-2008, 04:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I just went to the meeting cause I was desperate to get sober. I was greeted warmly and kindly and as I listened to the others I felt at home. These people had the same problem I did! And yet they no longer let that problem (alcohol) ruin their lives.

Just remember when you go in to those rooms that everyone in there had to walk in for the first time. So now they welcome the newcomers as they were welcomed.

I've got 40 days sober today and it's the most sober time in a row since March of last year. With each day added to my sober 'calendar' I feel stronger and more determined to stay sober. Last year I never thought I could go 40 days without drinking. But here I am! You can do this too. Just do whatever it takes and, as Carol says, to make it work you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink.

:ghug3
Old 08-22-2008, 05:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, I know when and where, I'm just going to have to drive there and do it I guess.
About a month ago I attended a couple of sessions with an alcohol counsellor for the first time. They weren't the magic answer I was hoping for.

But I guess it was the whole situation of being faced with one other person, almost confrontational.
That's why the idea of a group sounds more positive. It's not knowing what to expect. I ordered a copy of 'Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions' from Amazon. but it's a little intense to read! - maybe the wrong thing to start with..
Old 08-22-2008, 05:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR! Least provided some very good experience and suggestions. I don't think I can beat that. Take care and I hope you stick around.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies, it's appreciated!
Old 08-22-2008, 07:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

People in AA love newcomers! When you go to your first meeting you will be the MOST IMPORTANT PERSON IN THE ROOM!

You can do it! It is worth it! Good luck!
Old 08-23-2008, 10:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I do hope you continue to make wise choices
Sobriety Rocks!

...Welcome!
Old 08-23-2008, 11:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Pete,

5 days is a great accomplishment. AA isn't for me but I do think it's important to try it because it really works for a lot of people. I'd also suggest a larger meeting so it's not as "intense" for you. You don't have to say anything if you don't want to. A lot of people worry about the Hi, I'm _______. I'm an alcoholic. You don't have to or you can. Wahtever you feel like. A lot of meetings are going today. Let us know what you think and I hope it will positive for you.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm also thinking of AA, but have the same worries - how do you go into that room? What if there's someone there who knows me? Why am I embarrassed of this disease?

It's so difficult.

sas
Old 08-23-2008, 11:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Originally Posted by pete1982 View Post
I ordered a copy of 'Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions' from Amazon. but it's a little intense to read! - maybe the wrong thing to start with..
The 12/12 is a good book---it breaks down the steps. It would be confusing to start out with this book though. I would recommend the Big Book of AA (the main book). It explains the disease of alcoholism...the Doctor's Opinion would be a good chapter to read. Later on, when you get to the part about the steps in the Big Book--then, perhaps I would start reading the 12/12 (it will make much more sense at that point).

Either way I would suggest attending a meeting--fellowship in early sobriety was important for me--just knowing I wasn't alone was helpful. Plus, someone there may give you a copy of the Big Book. Keep us posted. :ghug2
Old 08-23-2008, 04:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcoem to SR
Old 08-25-2008, 02:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Jig

Hi Pete,

I was terrified of AA before I went. I've been going for less than two months but I enjoy it now. I look forward to getting to meetings, the fellowship is fantastic. I wouldn't have made it this far without it.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I went to AA alone...and almost pooped my pants I was so nervous!! I walked in....looked at someone...and burst into tears!!! lol Thank goodness there was another woman at this meeting...she just walked up to me, welcomed me, sat with me. Not one person looked at me funny. And you know what? During the meeting, there were a few men who spoke that also welled up while telling what they needed to tell that day.

Here's how meetings work in my area: we are welcomed by the chair of the meeting...there's a reading...then people go out to smoke. Sometimes we also have an around-the-room introduction where everyone says their name and says that they are an alcoholic (you don't have to say that, though, if you're not ready). When everyone is back from the break, we take turns speaking for a few minutes if we wish, or just passing to the next person. Usually there is a time when a bucket is passed around for a donation (a dollar is the usual), but no one ever looks at you strangely if you just pass the bucket without putting anything in.

The one thing you will see in AA is that you are NEVER judged. Also, you will have friends from all walks of life that you might never have met otherwise.

Plus, you'll be astounded at how "normal" everyone is! lol
Old 08-25-2008, 07:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

How goes it Pete???