Advice for first meeting

Old 08-22-2008, 12:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice for first meeting

So I think i'm finally going to get the courage to attend my first ACOA meeting. There is one tomorrow about 10 minutes from where I live.

I have never been to any kind of meeting before and I'm really nervous and scared about going. Do I have to say anything? What if I don't know what I'm doing?

Appreciate any advice you could give. I'm looking forward to meeting other people in a similar situation.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You don't have to do anything at the meeting. You don't have to speak, to shake hands or even introduce yourself if you don't want to. You can sit and listen if that's all you're comfortable with. Nothing will be expected of you, unless you offer it freely.

I think you'll find it a very liberating experience. Good luck to you!
Old 08-22-2008, 03:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I didn't do anything but tell them my name. I didn't make a sound the first time, just listened. Remember that you may have to try more than one to find a good "fit", or there may be personalities you'll have to ignore because they irritate you (that was my experience - there was one woman who just monopolized the conversation, but she wasn't there every week). I found them helpful to my recovery, so...good luck!!
Old 08-22-2008, 04:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GiveLove View Post
Remember that you may have to try more than one to find a good "fit", or there may be personalities you'll have to ignore because they irritate you (that was my experience - there was one woman who just monopolized the conversation, but she wasn't there every week).
LOL!!! There are always those but I concur on what was already said, you don't have to do anything but definitely go a couple of times. Every meeting is different from the last/next. I enjoy my meetings and even today, some are so-so and others are just AWESOME!!!! Hope you enjoy!!
Old 08-25-2008, 05:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just an update...

I made it to my first meeting on Saturday!! I was quite nervous but quickly found I had nothing to be nervous about. Everyone was SO KIND, supportive, encouraging, and warm. I felt very welcome! I didn't talk much, but I told a little bit about why I was there and what I was looking for. They just encouraged me to keep coming back.

I found it to be very helpful, and it was awesome to be around people that "get it". None of my friends get it, but I guess no one could unless they've been through it... which can be said about any situation.

Thank you all for your replies! I will be going back again next Saturday.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you Justforme! I'm so glad to hear that the nerves disappeared quickly and you felt welcomed! I'm very happy for you!
Old 08-25-2008, 06:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Turning it all around

Smile

justforme,
Good for you! "nothing to fear but fear itself". Fear robs people, of living, more than any other emotion. Your heart lead you to the meeting and your heart benefited. Keep using your body to carry your heart where ever it wants to go and you'll be fine. I love your name "justforme" it says so much. Use your heart/love to your advantage. You can do anything with it! It is your most powerful strength!

:bounce
Old 08-25-2008, 09:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Way to go, justforme. Isn't it great to be around people who "get it" ?

And by the way, I have to say how much I love this sentence:

Originally Posted by HopeTo180 View Post
Keep using your body to carry your heart where ever it wants to go and you'll be fine.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your kind words!