Am I a hypocrite???

Old 08-21-2008, 10:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
harleygirl92156

Am I a hypocrite???

I feel like one. I was cheated on by my now RAH. I know how it feels, I remember how embarassed I was, how angry I was with the people that knew and didn't tell me, how frightened I was when I realized I could have been unknowingly exposed to STD's. I remember all that and I know how it feels..........

I feel like a hypocrite because there is a couple from the program we have been socializing with, she in Alanon and he in AA, and she has been cheating on him and I know about it. It has been going on for some time and not with only one man.

The first one she told me about I told her not to tell me again because it hurt my heart and I didn't want to know. Well she was caught by someone and came to me afraid, I guess because she knew I already knew. She was afraid the other person would tell her boyfriend of 4 years, I told her if it was me I would come clean and tell him myself. She would have no part of that and is just acting like nothing is wrong and hoping if she ignores it the person won't say anything to her boyfriend.

I am in such a terrible position.......I feel like I should tell him what is happening as in the past I had wished someone would have told me. I also don't want to tell him because I don't want to hurt him. I feel it is her place to tell him what she has been up to, but on the other hand know how it feels to have everyone know something like that and be kept in the dark.

ARG!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate this. My thoughts are to just keep my mouth shut and allow God to set the course. Then I think God has allowed me to know this because I know how it feels and I should tell him.

OK, opinions here please. I am doing nothing until I know what is right and all opinions are welcome as the more input I can get the better!!!!
Old 08-21-2008, 10:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's not your problem, is it? You are not responsible for anyone else's choices or behvaiors.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
harleygirl92156

Originally Posted by Barbara52 View Post
It's not your problem, is it? You are not responsible for anyone else's choices or behvaiors.
I know it isn't my problem and that I am not responsible for her behavior, only for my behavior, but do you understand why I feel the way I do.....like a hypocrite.....icky feeling.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can understand it being a dilemma. But I don't see any hipocracy.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Not wanting toxic people in my life, I've stopped socializing with screwed-up people who do things that make my heart hurt....I need all of my energy to stay the course and frankly I don't like hanging out with people I don't respect. I think your plan is good: you didn't cause it, you can't cure it, you can't control it....let go and let God. But that's easier if you no longer socialize with them. Just my humble two cents.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Turning it all around

Harley, can you tell him anonymously? If you can, it might make you feel better.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
harleygirl92156

Originally Posted by GiveLove View Post
Not wanting toxic people in my life, I've stopped socializing with screwed-up people who do things that make my heart hurt....I need all of my energy to stay the course and frankly I don't like hanging out with people I don't respect. I think your plan is good: you didn't cause it, you can't cure it, you can't control it....let go and let God. But that's easier if you no longer socialize with them. Just my humble two cents.
Oh, the not socializing is a give, and already done!!! I just can't do that, no desire to even try.....but there again, now he is questioning why we don't do anything with them.....ugh.......feel bad for him all the way round, we try and continue with him, but it is difficult....
Old 08-21-2008, 11:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
harleygirl92156

Originally Posted by HopeTo180 View Post
Harley, can you tell him anonymously? If you can, it might make you feel better.
No I don't think that is a good idea, it isn't something I would do, if I am the one to tell him (which I don't think I will be) I would do it to his face and be there for him with some compassion, not slip a note under his door so to speak, I think that is pretty sneaky and I don't want to drag my self down to that level, but thanks for the idea.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

As someone that was cheat on, when i found out i frantically wanted to know WHO knew and WHO didn't tell me, never found out. But on the flip side, I've had a friend be dishonest in her marriage and i distanced myself from her and she was my BEST friend. I wanted no part of any of it because somehow i was going to get dragged into it. My suggestion would be to distance myself from her if you are able to. You don't need that headache or any finger pointing.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It would be hard to exclude her and still see him....gosh..... but you may have to, hard as it is.

Hugs to you, Harley. I know this is a really miserable situation and you're trying to do right by you AND by him.....I've been cheated on too and have had the same experience. I just had to get away and he found out soon enough.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Try to keep this straight and simple.

Tell the woman the facts: You are uncomfortable with how she conducts her personal, emotional relationship life. At a time in your own life, you were the recipient of simlar behaviour and it hurt you deeply. You are now so uncomfortable with knowing her secret that you are in a very awkward position and will need to step back from your friendship, which will include friendship with her man. Tell her that, to respect your feelings, not to invite you out together, and to explain it HOWEVER she wants to to her man.

Then, let it go. Its out of your hands, always was and always will be.

Do NOT tell him. Do not tell anyone else, for that matter.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
harleygirl92156

Originally Posted by miss communicat View Post
Try to keep this straight and simple.

Tell the woman the facts: You are uncomfortable with how she conducts her personal, emotional relationship life. At a time in your own life, you were the recipient of simlar behaviour and it hurt you deeply. You are now so uncomfortable with knowing her secret that you are in a very awkward position and will need to step back from your friendship, which will include friendship with her man. Tell her that, to respect your feelings, not to invite you out together, and to explain it HOWEVER she wants to to her man.

Then, let it go. Its out of your hands, always was and always will be.

Do NOT tell him. Do not tell anyone else, for that matter.
She has already been told this and her reaction to me was "Oh Grow Up!" Okie Dokie....lol.....I am not explaining anything to him, she can or not, I am avoiding the drama...........THIS POST REALLY WAS NOT ABOUT WHAT I SHOULD OR SHOULDN'T DO, IT WAS INTENDED TO BE ABOUT HOW THE SITUATION HAS MADE ME FEEL. I really have no intention of telling the man anything, unless he point blank ask me to my face and then I would tell him he needs to be asking those questions of his girlfriend, not me..
Old 08-21-2008, 01:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I like to try and find the lesson in any situation, and especially in those that make me uncomfortable, or "icky" as you say.

Maybe the lesson here for you is that it's not so easy to know something like this, is it? Maybe this is a chance for you to understand and forgive those who knew and did not tell you. To feel how they felt and gain some compassion for them.

L
Old 08-21-2008, 01:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
harleygirl92156

Originally Posted by LaTeeDa View Post
I like to try and find the lesson in any situation, and especially in those that make me uncomfortable, or "icky" as you say.

Maybe the lesson here for you is that it's not so easy to know something like this, is it? Maybe this is a chance for you to understand and forgive those who knew and did not tell you. To feel how they felt and gain some compassion for them.

L
Thank you! You are sooo very right! Thanks for pointing that out to me!
Old 08-21-2008, 02:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Awakening

I am in such a terrible position.......I feel like I should tell him what is happening as in the past I had wished someone would have told me. I also don't want to tell him because I don't want to hurt him. I feel it is her place to tell him what she has been up to, but on the other hand know how it feels to have everyone know something like that and be kept in the dark.

ARG!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate this. My thoughts are to just keep my mouth shut and allow God to set the course. Then I think God has allowed me to know this because I know how it feels and I should tell him.

Hi Harleygirl,

I've lurked your posts for a long time and always found your recovery and insight helpful. That being said, I will offer my experience, strength, and hope.

I was cheated on by my exaw, probably for all but the first 2-3 years of our 11 year marriage. My mother in law (bio dads wife) knew but chose not to tell me. At first I was hurt by her and all of ex's co-workers who also knew, I knew them as well.

I found out on my own when it was God's will. I can't say I wasn't hurt, but by then it about 90% didn't matter any more. Any earlier and I would have been crushed. Would have been in denial of what I REALLY already knew in my gut, and would have blamed you for trying to come between me and my cheating spouse.

The bf will find out in God's time, it will probably be easier on him that way.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote

P.S. Man you are in a sh!tty position, I feel for you. Just maybe be there for the bf when the sh!t storm starts. He will probably understand the position you've been sucked into.....can you say DRAMA. Bet you can!
Old 08-21-2008, 02:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Awakening

Originally Posted by GiveLove View Post
Bingo!

Thanks and God bless us all
Coyote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Awakening

Originally Posted by harleygirl92156 View Post
Oh, the not socializing is a give, and already done!!! I just can't do that, no desire to even try.....but there again, now he is questioning why we don't do anything with them.....ugh.......feel bad for him all the way round, we try and continue with him, but it is difficult....
My ex confided in her AA sponser (she was court-orded and showed up drunk at noon meetings) who was by the way a double winner and knew me from Alanon. Wife had tried the usual BS, painting me as the bad guy and herself as the justified spouse. Sponser knew me from my sharings and fired the ex as a sponsee. BUT... She didn't tell me till I brought up my wifes cheating in a later meeting. I was comforted by her by then.

Coyote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by harleygirl92156 View Post
She has already been told this and her reaction to me was "Oh Grow Up!" Okie Dokie....lol.....I am not explaining anything to him, she can or not, I am avoiding the drama...........THIS POST REALLY WAS NOT ABOUT WHAT I SHOULD OR SHOULDN'T DO, IT WAS INTENDED TO BE ABOUT HOW THE SITUATION HAS MADE ME FEEL. I really have no intention of telling the man anything, unless he point blank ask me to my face and then I would tell him he needs to be asking those questions of his girlfriend, not me..
no need to shout at me..lol
Old 08-21-2008, 02:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Awakening

Originally Posted by LaTeeDa View Post

L
God you're GOOD!

Coyote

P.S. Due to extreemely poor typing skills I'm forever behind on these posts. Ha!
Old 08-21-2008, 07:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
May it be

Location: A new day. Today I just see bright colors, in the small world of my dreams.
it really doesn't matter... but how long has she been seeing someone else? It's just, if it's gone on for awhile, it makes you wonder how close of a relationship he/she has as a couple (that he doesn't suspect anything???) It would be hard to maintain a double life & keep this from someone, esp if you are close, wouldn't you think?