Notices

Frustration

Old 08-21-2008, 08:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Frustration

so along with all the other horrible things alcoholism has brought me, one is some serious financial debt. I have been working really hard this past couple of years to clear it up and I have been doing pretty good.

I got a collection letter in the mail a few days ago, so I called them and arranged to pay it off. I felt pretty good, but something was nagging at the back of my mind - I called the company where the original debt was made, and it turns out I was in good standing with them, and they told me to disregard the collection letter! I panicked at that point because I had given them my account number - so I called my bank and had them put "stop payments" on that company so they cannot withdraw my money.

I'm so frustrated because I feel like I'm being scammed!
I make pretty much no money right now, and these f***ers are trying to take what little I make! and I feel like a major idiot for giving them my account number!
I think I might change banks - and I need to be more careful! NEVER GIVE OUT YOUR BANK ACCOUNT NUMBER OR YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-21-2008, 08:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So true Jen. Been there myself.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hang in there Jen, don't feel like an idiot, you're not. Screw the cheaters!

Heavy
Old 08-21-2008, 08:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Jen.. Yup, many people out there to get money out of us...

I also invested in a paper shredder, 'cuz I've heard stories of people going through grabage in order to obtain personal information..
Old 08-21-2008, 09:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry this happend to you Jen, changing banks is a good idea.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dismember

Glad that you caught it! I hope your bank can help make sure this bogus credit agency wont pull any other tricks.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Seriously Fun!

You might want to check further into this. Many times a collection agency will buy the debt from the original holder. Thus the record will be shown as "written off" (Something to that effect), but then you are in debt to the new collection company.

You don't need to change banks. You can either close the old account, and get a new one, or as you have already done, put a stop payment to the collector. It's not the banks fault this happened.

I know this from being the collectee...not a collector. I still owe so much. eeek. And never ever do those Online one hour loan things. I did several during my last relapse...and it's like 400% interest. I kid you not.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I love to listen to Dave Ramsey and he has so much good information about how to get out of debt, stay out of debt and save for the future...he does always say do not give out any kind of information regarding your accounts, etc. Well stupid me has an automatic withdrawl for one of my credit cards to take money monthly out of my checking account. I guess I should change that too, you never know what could happen..

Hang in there!
Old 08-21-2008, 11:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Turning it all around

jpat, if you haven't already, change your account number. They'll give it to some other scum they know.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

My favorite all time tip for saving money?

I pay cash at the grocery store.

I check the weekly sales...make a list
this keeps me from impulse buying.

Before I started this...I always got extra
money when paying with plastic or check.
Never could figure out where it got spent.

For me....seing the cash leaving my billfold
curbs my over spending tendencies.

Banks? I perfer to use Postal Money Orders
for my bills. Cheaper than the bank fees.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's a good thing to remember, Jen!

I learned from a bad experience my daughter had with a stalker, to be super careful about what information I give out. I get frustrated if I am asked my phone number when I am at cash register buying something. I 'try' to stop and think before I give out my information.

It sounds like the collection company was up to no good.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I guess I underestimated myself - my credit has been bad since my early 20's and I'm just finally getting it back on track. So when I got this letter I just assumed that I owed them! I have my credit report, which I'm in the process of cleaning up, I just need to be more careful with my information. I think I am going to switch banks on my next day off - it will give me peace of mind. It's weird but I feel almost violated in some way. ugh.

Thanks for letting me vent!
Old 08-22-2008, 04:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I understand. I just got off the phone with one of my credit card companies, I asked them to lower my interest rate or I would transfer my balance to another card. They blew me off. 27% is way to high, no person should have to live with that kind of interest, it is midevil, it is something from the twighlit zone. What can I do though? Exept apply to another card and transfer the balance. Yay capitalism!! pfft!
Old 08-22-2008, 05:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
left of center

Ugh. I understand as well. Felly - I did the exact same thing the other day. I noticed (just recently) that one of my credit card interest rates had gone up to 29% - insane!!! No notice - of course took me a while to notice (probably wouldn't have noticed if I wasn't sober Anyway - called them and asked them to lower the interest rate as I have never been late and my credit is decent (now) - but of course was denied. Credit cards are EVIL!!!!!!! Even more evil when drunk.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

OMG, yes, that interest is way too high! DO transfer the balance to a lower rate card if you can!! If they refused your request to lower the rate, by all means.. call their bluff. That's just insane.