Notices

Napping?

Old 08-20-2008, 01:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Napping?

Someone started a thread about feeling tired in recovery. Vitamins were suggested and diet changes.

My problem isn't tiredness or chronic fatigue: my energy level is pretty high just about all day long.
I finally got the sleep problems sorted out: the withdrawal insomnia ended after about a week.

Now, I notice that I am taking at least one nap during the day for 15 or 20 minutes. Not every day, but, every other day or so.
After meals I sometimes get this overwhelming urge to take a nap. Sometimes I can take a nap, and then I have a short and restful sleep.

It's fantastic to actually be able to take a nap after all the years of being too drunk and too exhausted to take a nap! It's fantastic to not fall asleep because I am passed out or blacked out. that, I am grateful for.

But, is this going to be a regular feature of a sober life? Has anyone else experienced this in recovery?
Old 08-20-2008, 01:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Littlefish!

I've been taking naps for about 20 years!!! (It all started when my kids were young). I feel blessed that I have the luxury of doing so. Plus, after the stresses of the day, I feel like I'm starting fresh and relaxed. I don't see it as a problem, unless it's causing you to just fall asleep unexpectedly. I think it's called apnea or something. If you're concerned, you might ask your doc.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I nap most every day for about 20 to 30 minutes. Husband is a big napper from way back and would nap the afternoon away on the weekends IF I let him. Naps are good for the soul!!
Old 08-20-2008, 01:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dismember

I haven't taken naps since I was a kid. Even then, so my mother tells me, I put up plenty of resistance! I always feel groggy and tired after naps, so I just avoid them.

I'm dedicated hardcore to my 8 hours of sleep. My sleep schedule is pretty rigorous. There were even arguments in a past relationship, where I'd nod off mid-conversation at night, and be wrongly accused of having been drinking (granted, "yes!", often that would be the case too!)
Old 08-20-2008, 02:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Would you keep the noise down, some of us are sleeping here !!!!!!!!!1
Old 08-20-2008, 02:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Would you keep the noise down, some of us are sleeping here !!!!!!!!!1

LOL!!!!
Old 08-20-2008, 02:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I love afternoon naps.

I reward myself with naps if I exercise. No exercise - no nap.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I love naps..I think they are better than sleeping at night.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I love afternoon naps. My favorite part of the day. When it is nap time even all the animals sleep.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Tommy, that is some willpower right there. I bet it improves the quality of the nap too!

I just love naps. I have two cats and they are my napping role models. Something I have wondered is why sleeping is especially good on a couch as compared to my bed? I have a comfortable bed. The couch isn't that comfy of a couch. But man, I do some good sleepin there. Maybe I'm just a rebel.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Seriously Fun!

It could be medically related too. Be sure to have your iron level checked, and sugar levels. Getting sleepy after a meal can be blood sugar related.

Now I love a good nap too. Sometimes all I need is my "power nap". A good 15-20 minutes. Other times...I'm out for an hour or two. Usually if I am fighting a cold or something. Or like yesterday...having a tooth extraction. It is a shock to the body. I needed that nap, and it felt good.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm not new to being sober. My first poison was alcohol, the second was ops after a severe injury. I do remember how precious my naps were to me. I could be ready to tip over and felt like I would never wake up, but just 20-30 minutes and I felt like a new woman. I'm pretty sick right now getting sober again so my naps last all of 2 minutes, but I can't wait to the day I can treat myself to them again. My non-medical opinion is that a quick cat nap can do wonders for te body and mind. Funny how when we feed our addictions, even simple pleasures like naps are hard to come by.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the feedback: I don't see the napping as a med problem. Like I said: it is a gift to have my body/brain do something normal again! I suppose it is natural to see changes, now that I am not putting my liver through the alcohol/sugar rush all day long....
Old 08-20-2008, 11:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by littlefish View Post
Thanks for all the feedback: I don't see the napping as a med problem. Like I said: it is a gift to have my body/brain do something normal again! I suppose it is natural to see changes, now that I am not putting my liver through the alcohol/sugar rush all day long....
I've found myself pounding more Diet Coke (Caffeine) and smoking more cigs since I've been cleaning up again. Guessing this can be quite typical when coming off the drug of choice. I also used to hate sugary/sweet treats and I'm dipping cookies in ice cream.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
IO Storm

After a midday meal...nap is a must! 2 hours...prayer and meditation

time before...wonderful!