Notices

Friend with Questions, life or death

Old 08-19-2008, 07:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Friend with Questions, life or death

Hello all. I'm new here. My "friend" is paranoid about posting so I'm doing it for her/him. ahem.

She/He's very newly clean and enrolled in an Itensive Outpatient Treatment Program and has so many questions about a sober new life: Of coarse his/her Doctor will be asked the same, but he/she wants to here from people that have been there.

1. He/She was not only opoid addicted but dependent, they have an injury to their back that is permanent nueurological damage that is almost crippling, so how do they handle this?

2. Is Methadone a poor choice for someone that needs pain relief and can't go without as long as it's controlled. (They pick up their dose every morning).

3. He/She used to stupidly inject ox80s and destroyed all of her/his veins over the coarse of 5 months, is quite disgusted with themselves which is why he/she went to get help and stopped this behavior but is now scared of any future problems that could arrise as they didn't know WTF they were doing and pretty much killed all the veins in his/her arm.

4. He/She just wants to get better, but this behind him/her (the bad behavior, but always work towards a better and healthier future of coarse) and truly get a grip before it's too late. I know she/he is serious because he/she sold a lot of belongings and made huge sacrafices to get into IOP as it isn't free.

This person can not go into inpatient because s/he is supporting her mother whom is dying of cancer and can't lose his/her job because there is NOBODY to help with bills. Other than the Mother, there are no friends, no cousins, nothing. I know this person can do it outpatient, but please do help with the other questions.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I'm glad your "friend" is looking for help in an outpatient program.

I don't have any experience with that type of program, but I suggest that you talk to your dr about the problems with the veins in your arms, or call the program directors and ask them questions.

I wish you well with the program.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Welcome to SR! Some of these questions I would suggest asking a Doctor. We do not give medical advice out in this forum...

Possibly sticking to an outpatient program of some sort would be a good choice right now with everything going on in this person's life. Keep posting and check out the other forums and the stickies at the top of each forum. There is a wealth of information and a lot of support here no reason to be afraid as we are all here for each other-Hope your friend decides to post soon.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR, both you and your friend
Old 08-19-2008, 10:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR.

I personally do not have experience with the program that you describe. As an alcoholic I went to AA as I did not realize treatment programs inpatient or outpatient were an option for me. I have been sober since.

I wish your friend the best and do hope that things work out well for them. I would recommend they come here and try posting in the substance abuse section as well since there are many people there with a variety of experience in substance abuse issues.

Again welcome to our corner of the world
Old 08-20-2008, 04:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome. I do believe the IOP will be a good thing all around. On top of many different types of sober/recovery/wellness groups, they also offer yoga, meditation, stress management, art, creative writing, book club (different programs run by Doctors or Recovered patients and attened by other IOPers). They keep you busy from 6am to 8pm giving you many options and it especially works well for those that also need to keep a job and not miss too much work.

Everything seems so hopeless at first, so one hour at a time, right?
Old 08-20-2008, 05:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

"Everything seems so hopeless at first, so one hour at a time, right?"

Exactly, good outlook.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi there! Just wanted to welcome you to the forum!!! Also wanted you to know what a wonderful place you've come across...a place where there will never be judgements or recriminations.