Dr. Phil brings out the codie in me

Old 08-19-2008, 07:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dr. Phil brings out the codie in me

Did anyone else see Dr. Phil yesterday? I don't normally watch, but my sister called and said it was about alcoholism, so I did. I kept saying to myself that my AH wasn't that bad because he never smashed his face in a steering wheel like the lady on the show.......then I had this horrific thought. He DID smash his head through the windshield when he ran into a cement wall over 15 years ago (because he was changing the radio station/couldn't have been because he blew twice the legal limit *eyes rolled*). He had so many "normal" years in between then and now that I had completely blocked that from my memory. I sat there watching and tried to justify every single thing he has done as "not as bad". Why is it that comparing like that makes it "better"? I guess the only good news is that this time I am aware of what I do.......maybe I am learning a thing or two.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Step 1. We admitted....

Alanon helps. The books, the stickies on this forum help. Honesty helps.
(((hugs to Blessedx4)))
Old 08-19-2008, 03:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I Finally Love My Life!!!

It was so easy for me to rationalize everything XABF did and put a "but..." after each horrible thing he would say to me...but he was tired, but he was hungry, but he hadn't had a smoke...

and I thought he was the only one in massive denial about a problem!
Old 08-20-2008, 07:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Me too, I rationalised a lot. One time when I decided to tell him to get out and he attacked me for money, I rationalised the punch in the head he gave me because I had kicked out at him trying to get him off me. If I hadn't had kicked out, and hurt him, I wouldn't have gotten that punch.

Complete and utter madness. That is all I can think to describe it, complete MADNESS and very strong denial.

I was so blinded by my 'love' for him and my willingness to believe I was so in the wrong that I turned many occasions around in my head.

Thank goodness I hit my bottom and found SR!!!

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx