Notices

This is Day One...

Old 08-18-2008, 10:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is Day One...

Hey Everyone,

So today is day one. This is something I have thought about for a long time. I am 33 years old and have a professional job a great home and a wonderful husband. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my life except the one small fact that I “REALLY” like to drink. And, for me it is really really bad when I drink. First of all I am a gastric bypass patient and now two beers and I feel tipsy. But, when I lost my ability to be addicted to food I picked up and addiction to drinking. I want to get off this roller coaster ride. But, it never seems quit possible. I always see the dips and the turns… but I never do anything to ignore them. I always seem to hit them straight on…

And, the bad thing is that my husband is the greatest man in the world. And, we have only been married two months. But, I have seen my drinking shatter him when I become a total bitch when drinking. If I was a happy drunk maybe I wouldn’t want to actually stop. (sad huh?) But, as it stands I am here.. I want to make this commitment. I want to change. I don’t want to be the destroying force that my mother was when she drank. I have to get off this roller coaster ride.

So this is day one…

Hopefully I will have a day two…
And three…

Thanks for listening and reading… I am really enjoying the forum.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Welcome! I think you will really like it here. The people are truly awesome. You'll definitely get support and love and encouragement here.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I too am a gastric bypass patient...I had mine 5 years ago...and I let alcohol become my "food"...it was easier for me to drink than to eat...so my alcoholism went full on out of control!!! I was lucky enough to get arrested for a duii on july 11.... and I have been sober ever since....if you ever want to chat send me and PM....good luck...and stay strong..
xoxoox LG
Old 08-18-2008, 10:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lostgirl89 View Post
I too am a gastric bypass patient...I had mine 5 years ago...and I let alcohol become my "food"...it was easier for me to drink than to eat...so my alcoholism went full on out of control!!! I was lucky enough to get arrested for a duii on july 11.... and I have been sober ever since....if you ever want to chat send me and PM....good luck...and stay strong..
xoxoox LG

I had my gastric bypass 4 years ago. And, it has been totally amazing. I am grateful that I was given the chance to live life again. And, I have talked to several people who have had the gastric bypass and said they to picked up drinking after the surgery. I am not going to let my drinking stop me from being who I am... and allowing myself to full change and live my life.

Thank you for writing back..
Old 08-18-2008, 10:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Saliena,

Welcome!

I'm glad you are committed to living a sober life. There is lots of support here.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Saliena and welcome,
All I can say is that I can certainly relate. I too am a 33 year old woman with a bad drinking problem. I haven't had gastric bypass but oddly enough, I know a woman who did who also started drinking heavily after her surgery. I think you have certainly come to the right place for friends and support, I count the SR group as among the finest people I've ever known. So hang around for a while, I am sure you'll learn a lot. I know I have.
Good luck!
fd
Old 08-18-2008, 11:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Welcome to SR Saliena!

Glad that you found us! Keep posting and check out the other forums-and the stickies
at the top of the forums!

There is a wealth of information and support here! We are here for each other you are
not alone!
Old 08-18-2008, 11:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Saliena - congratulations on your wise decision. You're young and can turn it all around and have a wonderful, healthy life. It's quite common to become addicted to alcohol after surgery - I saw a great Oprah with Carnie Wilson awhile back, where she talked about her alcoholism. SR has helped to save my life & I owe so much to these wonderful people - so happy you found us!
Old 08-18-2008, 11:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

So this is day one…
It started for all of us with a "day one"...and, no matter how long we've been sober, we still do it "one day at a time". You can, too!
Old 08-18-2008, 11:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your support. I am going with a friend of mine tomm to my first AA meeting. I didn't want to do it alone... and with all of you all I am sure I am not doing it alone. Thanks for all your support.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Exccellent plan....
Thanks everyone for your support. I am going with a friend of mine tomm to my first AA meeting. I didn't want to do it alone... and with all of you all I am sure I am not doing it alone. Thanks for all your support.
Don't look for the differences when members share.
Do listen for how they stay sober.

Welcome to SR...
Old 08-18-2008, 12:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi saliena welcome here everyone here is fantastic and so supportive Im lucky to find this place as you will be too
Old 08-18-2008, 01:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome
Old 08-18-2008, 01:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

Welcome!! This place has saved my a$$ a number of times, so have meetings!
Old 08-18-2008, 03:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by Saliena View Post
nd, the bad thing is that my husband is the greatest man in the world. And, we have only been married two months. But, I have seen my drinking shatter him when I become a total bitch when drinking. If I was a happy drunk maybe I wouldn’t want to actually stop. (sad huh?) But, as it stands I am here.. I want to make this commitment. I want to change. I don’t want to be the destroying force that my mother was when she drank. I have to get off this roller coaster ride.
Welcome to SR, it makes me really happy to hear you're going to try an AA meeting and that you want to make a commitment to sobriety.

Wish I could say that I stopped drinking soon enough to save my marriage, but I kept going thinking that someday it'd just be OK. It's not too late for you, please take this seriously and choose a sober life!
Old 08-18-2008, 03:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome! Today is Day 1 for me so let's do it together ok? I have a lot to live for as you do. I think booze is pointless you know?
Old 08-18-2008, 03:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My 2nd day

Hello I just wanted to say it's nice to be starting out this sober journey with others in the same boat. I had my epiphany this weekend when I behaved horribly at a friends house and embarassed myself and my husband, that was the worst! I decided that's it! I feel somewhat liberated in that decision as drinking has always been a challenge after my gastric bypass. I would always try to pace myself, drink water between drinks, etc. I decided yesterday that if it was so much work, why bother? My husband and I are involved in many social events and I think about two in particular that are coming my way and it seems so much easier to me to just not drink then to try and drink responsibly. Whew...now let's just hope that's a feeling that lasts! :praying

I look forward to using this forum and getting to know you. I truly believe you have to do this one day at a time and that's all I can worry about.

Thanks for being here!
Old 08-18-2008, 03:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Hello Hilltopper & Epiphany!! Welcome to SR!
Old 08-18-2008, 04:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR Saliena
Old 08-18-2008, 09:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Saliena,,
I'm close to your age, 32 years old and can also be a total betch when I drink, especially to the man I love. That's part of the reason I wanted to change last year. Had a lot good intentions and trys and failures but now I'm here, a year later and have 4 weeks under my belt. It's a good start. You can use this site as a tool and read a lot of posts you will probably relate to. Looking forward to your posts and progress.

Best Wishes,
Kathleen