loosing balance questions

Old 08-17-2008, 12:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy loosing balance questions

My AH seems to be falling, or tripping over things a lot lately.Can or is the alcohol causing neurological damage (causing him to loose his balance)? Today he didn't drink enough to make him drunk, but he tripped up the stairs. He fell playing golf when he bent down to pick up the ball. I have a been a long time lurker, but things have gotten out of control. I have to have some outside support. I am afraid I have lost him for good to the disease.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Looking for the silver lining

I don't know if this is the right word for it, but it could be called saturation.

Sometimes someone drinks for a long time and if their livers can't process the alcohol fast enough, they tend to get drunk faster from few drinks. This happened with my AH's father. He drinks so much that a beer or two makes him sloppy. This may be the case here.

My suggestion to you is that you seek some support for yourself. This is a great forum..safe to talk on and lots of great insight. Additionally, I would see if you can find an Al-Anon support group. Alcoholism is, as you know, a family disease. I found that my co-dependence (which included caretaking, fixing, and rescuing) was the other side to the same coin. If there was going to be change in my life, it had to begin with me. I had to take my eyes off the alcoholic and put them on myself. Al-Alon is a great place to put the entire thing into prospective.

You can learn detachment there, which doesn't necessarily mean physical separation, but a way to distance yourself from the disease.

Welcome to forum...hope you find the same comfort here that I found. As they say in Al-Anon, "keep coming back."
Old 08-17-2008, 01:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Do a google on alcoholic neuropathy.

The alcohol burns the coatings off the nerve endings and they never grow back, then the nerves start sending erroneous mwessages. Messages of pain. Not being able to walk properly (they used to call it 'jake leg').

I know, because with over 27 years sober I have alcoholic neuropathy and sometimes look like I am drunk when walking and other times not. No it's not fun, but one of the prices we pay for the years we used.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 08-17-2008, 01:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This may be way off, but my AH started popping prescription drugs so he would get basically the same effect of alcohol without being detected.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the information. I need to spend some time reading old posts. I have been putting if off because I hate to face the facts. I see him getting worse (drinking every day now). I know I need help too. Alanon wasnt for me. I should try some online support groups. I just need to get the strength mentally to do it. Its exhusting living with an alcoholic.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Day, by Day, by Day.....

Hi linn -

I don't have any experience with my AH on this, but I did date an A that used to shake when he did not drink.

I know this must worry you terribly - but I recommend going to your local Al-Anon group (if you have not done so already). This really helps.

Also - detachment. This really, really saved my life and so far my marriage to my AH.

This must be terribly frustrating - hugs to you. Keep coming back!
Old 08-19-2008, 12:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So it is possible to detach and stay married to AH?