Notices

Problem Drinker or Alcoholic?

Old 08-16-2008, 06:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Question Problem Drinker or Alcoholic?

I was wondering...what exactly is the difference between a "Problem Drinker" and an "Alcoholic"? Three years ago I told myself that I was a "Problem Drinker" because it didn't sound quite as bad as "Alcoholic". In my opinion I think those labels mean the same thing. I'm probably not right...anyone have any thoughts on this at all? All are welcome to respond. Peace.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

well Im a alcoholic/problem drinker P*ss head so myself if I have a problem drinking where it runs my life Im a alcoholic
Old 08-16-2008, 06:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think the label really matters.

It's what the alcohol does to you and your life that makes you know that you need to stop.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

My personal short answer is one drink....however
...this is from my files.

Progression Of Alcoholism
Here's how alcoholism typically progresses:

SOCIAL DRINKERS — Most Americans are characterized as social drinkers. Statistics indicate, however, that one of every 16 drinkers will become alcoholic.
WARNING SIGNS — The individual begins to drink more frequently and more than his associates. He drinks for confidence or to tolerate or escape problems. No party or other occasion is complete without a couple of drinks.

EARLY ALCOHOLISM — With increasing frequency, the individual drinks too much. "Blackouts," or temporary amnesia, occur during or following drinking episodes. He drinks more rapidly than others, sneaks drinks and in other ways conceals the quantity that he drinks. He resents any reference to his drinking habits.

BASIC ALCOHOLISM — The individual begins to lose control as to the time, place and amount of his drinking. He gets drunk unintentionally. He hides and protects his liquor supply. He drinks to overcome the hangover from his prior drinking. He tries new patterns of drinking as to time and place of drinking. He attempts cures by moving to new locations or by changing his drinking companions.

CHRONIC ALCOHOLISM — The individual becomes a loner in his drinking. He develops alibis, excuses and rationalizations to cover up or explain his drinking. Personality and behavior changes occur that affect all relationships — family, employment, community. Extended binges, physical tremors, hallucinations and delirium, complete rejection of social reality, malnutrition with accompanying illness and disease and early death all occur as chronic alcoholism progresses.

Source: American Medical Association
Here's the info on moderate drinking

What is moderation?

According to the Center for Disease Control

Moderate drinking is no more than
2 drinks a day for men..1 for women

They consider a drink to be
12 oz. of beer..5 oz. of wine...1 1/2 oz liquor.

Your body and mind processes all 3 toxins equally
so drinking only wine or only liquor or only beer
or mixing them is of no importance.
They all do the same damage.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I think "problem drinker" just means that drinking is becoming a problem. I knew I was an alcoholic when I couldn't control my drinking and couldn't stay sober. I had a problem with drinking and my life was a huge mess.

I don't think it matters that much what you call your drinking habits, only that you do something to fix the 'problem'.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When I started recovery I thought that I was'nt as bad as those in AA because of DUI, lost a job, lost family, house or went to rehab. After all, I was there because I wanted to be. It was soon pointed out to me that we are all there for the same reason, to get and stay sober. It does'nt matter what you call it, if you think you have a problem with alcohol you do. Plain and simple.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
where the light is

From the AA Big Book:

"We hope we have made clear the distinction between the alcoholic and the non-alcoholic. If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking, you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic."

This definition works for me. I am an alcoholic.

If I considered myself a problem drinker (by my own definition) it would mean that as an option, I could learn to moderate my drinking or just quit and forget about it. I have seen many people do this. I tried (over & over) and failed miserably. Incidently, I used to label myself as an "ocassional heavy drinker". Today, I call myself a non-drinker - I really like the sound of that !

Big Book quote from the 1st Edition of the Big Book.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Do I have a problem with alcohol? Yes.

Am I an alcoholic? Yes.

I really don't think what you label it matters.It's the same to me.If I drink-I can't stop.I have no control over it and that's more than a problem-it's life threatening.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's human nature to define ourselves, but I think we sometimes go a bit crazy sometimes with labels.

No-one is here because they don't have a problem.

IMO whatever you name it, it's all different perspectives on the same beast, bringing the same sorrows and pains with it.

D
Old 08-16-2008, 07:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
No-one is here because they don't have a problem.
D
That made me laugh and its so simple and so true
Old 08-16-2008, 07:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Problem drinker = alcoholic in denial?
Old 08-16-2008, 08:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Given the right set of circumstances, a "Problem Drinker" can stop or control his/her drinking. An Alcoholic can't. There is a difference between can't and won't.
I intentionally used the word "Can't" An Alcoholic can not control his/her drinking once started with any sense of regularity.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've never considered myself a problem drinker. Drinking has never been a problem. In fact it's as easy as falling off a wagon:-)

I do consider myself a problem stopper, as stopping drinking has been the problem. I've stopped I don't know how many times. Hopefully this is the last (I'm on day 26!).

Seriously, I don't think the labels matter as much as one's realization there's a problem that needs to be faced head on and fixed. Also, we must remind ourselves we are human and therefore able to make (many) mistakes. While we should recognize and attempt to rectify our mistakes, we shouldn't beat ourselves up over them so we end up further behind than before we made them.

Will someone please kick this soap-box out from under me?

Good luck and health to all.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

When I came to AA many years ago, the only requirement for membership was a DESIRE TO STOP DRINKING, which I definitely had.

As I stayed around, I started to hear about "Problem Drinkers." It was explained to me by the old times that:

"All alcoholics are Problem Drinkers, but not all Problem Drinkers were alcoholics." HUH??? Well they went on to say "that a problem drinker, given enough motivation, ie loss of job, lodd of home, family, friends, status, etc could learn to moderate their drinking." Well I had no job left, I was unemployable, had been living on the streets for 1 1/2 years, and my family had cut me off 2 1/2 years before, so I had no problem seeing I was an Alcoholic.

If ALCOHOL is causing problems in you life, then you have a problem, and coming here to 'sr can and will (if you start working on you) give you a new lease on life.

As Carol said, it is 1 DRINK (and we don't know which one) that crosses us over from the problem drinker to the Alcoholic.

I am glad you have decided to join SR and get some help!!!!! Don't be a stranger.

Love and hugs,
Old 08-17-2008, 06:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by tommyk View Post
Problem drinker = alcoholic in denial?

That's what I think.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

On Friday, after reading some posts about what is/is not alcoholic drinking, I went to an AA meeting (my first), and people were sharing war stories, DTs, being drunk day in/day out for weeks, arrests, DUIs... and I started thinking, maybe those posts are right. I binge but I can go without for a couple of days in between. I can turn down a drink- the first one only Maybe I don't belong here.

The very next thoughts that came into my mind were, Excellent, now I can start drinking. What shall I buy on the way home. Oh crap I have to work tomorrow morning. How many drinks shall I allow myself. Maybe I could get out of working. Blah blah blah blah. I was off to the races.

That's how I knew I belonged at AA (or WSF, or SR, or something... but NOT moderating!!).
Old 08-17-2008, 11:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I can understand "heavy drinker, moderiate drinker, alcoholic, and binge drinking." But for some reason I dont get "problem drinker." I've always understood it to mean someone who turns to drinking when they have a problem. Not necessiarly someone who has problems due to drinking. Not that it matters, either discription still applies to me. I'd drink because of any problem. Once the problem got better I'd drink to that too!
Old 08-17-2008, 11:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

For a long time I classed myself as someone who liked a drink, ignoring what trouble might have just preceded this.
Then for a long time I admitted that I was a problem drinker but by doing that I wasn't accepting that I was worse than that.
After about 28 years of not accepting, I accepted and started to tackle it.
I think it is a grey area, but basically if you have a problem you have problem, however you define it.