Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Problems letting go, feeling VERY lonely, depressed.....DESPERATE for support& hugs!!

Problems letting go, feeling VERY lonely, depressed.....DESPERATE for support& hugs!!

Old 08-14-2008, 01:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This sure is harder than I thought it would be!!!!!!!!!! For those of you who don't know my situation, I threw my ABF out 3 weeks ago.

Perhaps this is just a normal greiving process.......but this week has been extremely awful, and I am just a MESS!!!! I'm praying to God & He is telling me to be patient & trust Him, but I just want to throw darts at everything & everyone who is trying to help me. I'm a freaking basket case this week!!!!!

I'm doing all the right things....going to Alon-On 2-3 times a week, AA once a week (not an A,just wanting to learn about this desease), a home Bible study once a week, motivational dvd's, these boards, calling friends, going out as much as I can, etc. I've been praying my heart out, trying with every ounce of my being to "give it to God". I've put myself & HIM on every prayer list I come across.

But I am totally depressed and SO LONELY!!!!!! And can't seem to "let go and let God"......my anxiety is way out of control!!!! I've been having chest pains (anxiety attacks), my muscles are always tense, and just can't seem to relax.
I can't sleep and when I finally do fall asleep, I dream about HIM......URGH, can't eat, can't do ANYTHING except cry and pray. This is horrible, but honestly I've turned to wine to salve MY pain.........what is WRONG with me????? I've been trying for 3 days now to scrub the kitchen floor & run the sweeper........trying to follow everyone's advise to "keep busy"......I haven't even been able to do THOSE 2 THINGS!!! I have a gorgeous 1 acre back yard, so yesterday I tried my darndest to force myself to go out on my back deck, just for a few minutes, and appreciate all the good stuff that I have........I could not for the life of me go out there ALONE.

I haven't heard anything from him, I almost did a horrible codie thing.....was gonna call him, but fortunately God intervened. I know I HAVE to let this GO.....that IF he is ever going to realize (which I am praying SO hard for), I HAVE to stay away/no contact. But it's KILLING ME!!!!! I'm ready to beg him to come back, I just miss him SO much.

And I am SO LONELY!!!!! I'm 50 years old, and SO AFRAID that I will never have anyone in my life again. I know......I need to be happy with MYSELF. But damn.......I've been doing that for SO LONG. I have gone through more than imaginable on my own.....when my XH (adult child of A, not an A himself but had the extreme behavior) left, I struggled ALONE to save my house from foreclosure. He left me for dead....all I had was $140....no spousal support , NOTHING but God. Four years ago, all I could DO was "give it to God".....and I honeslty thought my life was OVER, I never thought I would be still in this house......the only thing that held me togther then was Hurricane Katrina......watching thise poor people and thinking "at least I have my house TODAY".
Now, I should be SO THANKFUL, but why aren't I????? People look at me and say how strong I was & am. My 25 year old daughter looked at me today, in my total depressed state......and said "Mom, people ENVY you." She said her dad (my XH) ENVIES me.......he wishes HE had what I have....he realizes he screwed up, but is remarried and too late to turn back time.

But to ME......I look at him, being remarried......and am asking God WHY He hasn't blessed me with a HUSBAND by now. That was always my childhood dream........just to be married, and serve God together. I was SO HURT.......our divorce was listed in the newsapaper right next to his marriage license......people laughed that the way it was written, almost looked like it was together........our 3 names.......mine, his, and his new wife. I've just been through so much hurt/pain, and now this latest breakup is taking a big toll on me. I had prayed for a soulmate in my life for a long time after my divorce. Oddly, right before I met my ABF, I had been doing internet dating. I got so frustrated one day with meeting guys and nothing working out, I just QUIT DATING, and said if God wanted somebody in my life, He'd have to send him to my front door.....well, 2 weeks later my ABF showed up AT MY FRONT DOOR, holding a rake. I honestly thought God had answered my prayers..........FINALLY. And then after 1 year I threw him out because of A & not working, and he came back AGAIN to my front door......this time holding an Xmas tree, and confiding in me all his deep dark A secrets, telling me about his warrant, the illegal van, how he felt inside, promising to give me money, the fairy tale, everything.......so I thought "Okay, he's REALIZED"....But....then it was just WORSE.....And now I am just a MESS.

Just don't understand and feeling SO lonely. My one male friend who knew me from way back when my XH left, says it just takes me longer to greive than most people. He says it's "just me". Maybe he is right. Then another lady-friend says it sounds like **I** am hitting bottom......ugh......do non-alcoholics do that TOO???? She says a person has to hit bottom before God opens doors & windows. Other people suggest I get meds for depression......ughh, I am SO afraid to take meds of ANY kind.
All I know is that I am SO hurting, and wish I'd have never thrown him out!! This is HORRIBLE.......it's so bad that I turned down work twice this week, just because I am too sick to go!!!!! I need the money desperately, yet just too sick to go.

Is this normal grieving???????//Should I be KIND to myself right now, give myself time.....or do I really have a problem, and need to get meds?????/ Honestly, when my XH left, it took me 1-2 months of just sitting on the couch, crying, and praying before I could move on. So is this the same? Am I just the type of person who takes longer to grive & accept thi ngs? Is that OKAY???

And WHY do i feel so strongly and want to cling to the idea that ABF WILL realize, and come back??????????? I know the percent of that is slim to none....yet I just can't let go of my hope. And I know that in order for that to even happen.........I need to "let go and let God"........people keep mentioning to me that my worrying and fear etc is actually HINDERING God from working.

BUT WHY CAN'T I JUST *******LET GO*********????????
Old 08-14-2008, 02:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you SO much Anvilhead.......your reply makes SO much sense!!!!! And thank you for calling me Hon....I really NEEDED that right now, in my distress!!!
Old 08-14-2008, 02:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sweetie, Anvil is right. It takes longer than 3 weeks.

You are grieving...losing him, losing your dreams for a future with him. Even though my XABF was still just as happy as could be, out there using, I still grieved for him. But I was addicted to him, just as I was addicted to crack.

I read, on a thread, today something about God can't give us a new life when we're desperately holding onto the old one. I'm almost 47, and am wondering if I will ever find the "right" man. But, I'm learning to be comfortable with ME before I even look, because I have a radar for finding the WRONG man. Put me in a room with 999 "good" men, one "bad guy" and I will be instantly attracted to the "bad guy".

Take your time and do what Anvil suggested...start a gratitude list. When it was first recommended to me, I was angry and didn't think I had much to be grateful for. Once I started, though, I realized there was SO much I had to be grateful for.

Give yourself a break. You're human, and this hurts, but it will pass.

Sending you BIG hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 08-14-2008, 02:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi there Anubus,

Ditto Anvilhead's reply. You are going through major withdrawals. And, you are right exactly where you should be, doing everything you can.

Three things, though, that I might offer are that,

1.although you are going to meetings, and you do come here, do you have some friends, or even new women from AlaNon, who you can call, sit down with and talk to?

2. Also, I'd keep going to the AA meeting and learn more about this disease.

3. You may need professional help with yuor anxiety and depression. There is no need to suffer so. Can you call and get a consult with someone you trust?
Old 08-14-2008, 02:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sending (((hugs))) and agreeing with the above.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
gns

Anabus, your post made me remember the desperation, anxiety and depression I felt when my EX and I broke up. I had to deal with the woman he cheated on me with on a daily basis for a month (still can't believe I made it through that), but with time - lots, like at least a year, I started being glad I was not with him and feeling fulfilled with my friendships and other interests to the point of not even being sure if I really want a boyfriend/man (If you knew me you would be shocked).

I have been dealing with my emotional needs that led me to my codie ways, accounting for some unhappy posts, but overall life is better than it was with ex and I NEVER thought I would say that.

You sound like you are certainly feeling desperate and anxious and unhappy - I am beginning to think/see, that no one can fill that but you. If you give someone else that power it would make for a needy relationship.

I am thinking of you. Give yourself time.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Always Hopeful

hi

I am going through a heartbreak too and it is very hard and I have a lot of emotions and I cry everyday. However, every new day is better than the day before. I read this book called, "It's called a break up because it's broken". It's a good book. It helps! Go to therapy, so you can deal with your emotions better and so that you can build your self esteem. Maybe you will need an antidepressant and the therapy can help you figure that out. Volunteer work will make you smile and warm your heart. Spend more time with friends and family and friend's kids. Get a pet!. I am personally on a quest to experience different religions to see which one speaks to me in this time of need. Maybe you can try it. You need to be with yourself and learn to love yourself. Try online dating (once you have worked out your issues)...It can be fun~~
Old 08-14-2008, 07:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

Remind yourself why you threw him out in the first place. You are better than this and yep its scary that feeling of loss. Everytime you feel anxious remind yourself of what you dont want and write a list of what you really want.
I think things happen to us because we let it. Maybe not consciously and we can have what we really want if open our minds up to it.
Hope things get better for you.
JJ
Old 08-15-2008, 04:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
gns

I would not do online dating until you are good and ready. I tried too early and every response or lack of response became about my self-worth!

Take care of yourself - I think you will be pleasantly surprised at what you discover.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

((((Anabus)))) be kinder to yourself my friend! The only person you should compare yourself to is yourself.

I agree with the ideas of the gratitude list - I did this when my abf first moved out. Some days I had nothing I felt I could be grateful for, but I would always have at very least the fact that I had a home, my daughter, and a future I could build to be anything I wanted.

You are withdrawing, and also teaching your mind some new ideas and thoughts it is not familiar with, they will take a long time to become your second nature, like wanting to call him and get your fix is your second nature right now. You are changing the way things work, and your mind just needs some time to catch up with that.

It ok, nothing worth while is quickly obtained! Be patient with yourself, and give your self some loving care. You are right were you need to be, today will pave the foundations of the future, and you will find serenity and love from within.

I find meditation a great way to clear my mind and relax. Have you tried it?

Also, I found that at first I had to force myself to get things done, because my mind was so ready to sit and dwell on my hurt. If I listened to my mind, I wouldn't do anything but stay in sadness. So I made a daily planner and organised my free time so that I got what needed to be done, done. It was hard I really had to be strict with myself and force myself to do things. It kept me going, it kept me acheiving, which gave me good feelings of accomplishment.

Do you have Codependant no more? In the book Melody talks about giving yourself some goals. Small ones that are easily achievable, and bigger ones that you can work toward. Make a list, say of 10-15 things, and get doing. As each day ends, tick off your accomplishments and congratulate yourself. It builds confidence and self esteem.

Don't worry how small it may seem, my list had things like ''buy a new kettle'', ''sort old clothes for charity'' etc and also bigger ones like ''have a holiday just me and my daughter'', which financially I may not be able to accomplish for quite some time, but the point is, I have identified it as something I WANT to do for ME, and I am working toward it.

Hope you feel better,

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

PS - It is 6 months since my abf moved out and I am still working on being a happy me, give yourself time, and lots of it!

Old 08-15-2008, 07:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Anabus I totally understand where you are coming from! I experienced so much hurt, pain and lonliness in the beginning and sometimes still do. I asked my XABF to leave the end of June and he finally got things out the first week of July. So I have had several weeks of taking care of ME and focusing on other healthy things in my life. It WILL get easier as time goes on but in the beginning its EXTREMELY HARD!! I must say that I HAVE had contact with him and it has helped me. (especially when I have had short conversations with him when he's drunk....makes me REMEMBER what I have finally gotten away from). I don't talk to him everyday and I'm not saying this works for everyone but it has worked for me. It has tapered off some and I am comfortable with that.
I have had to MAKE myself get up and get busy at times, but other times I have aloowed myself to sleep and cry. JMO but I think it helps our body during healing to let out feelings and also to rest.
I agree with all the posts above about making lists and reading good, informative material. The book Co-Dependant No More has been quite helpful for me in seeing what I need to work on myself. Personally, I have no intentions of dating or even looking around until I get myself feeling better about ME. Too afraid I will fall back into the old Codie-ways and end up in another unhealthy relationship.
Take care of you and know that you are in our prayers.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I left my xAH a little more than a year ago, have been divorced for about 2 months. There is no way I am ready to get into another relationship (although I now allow the thought that one may come someday) because I am still working on my own issues and discovering who I am. I know that until I am well on the road to my own recovery another relationship would be a mistake for me because I cannot truly give myself to a new relationship until I more clearly understand who I am, what I want and where I am going.

Sure they are moments when I miss being in a relationship. But a large part of that, for me at any rate, are my codependent tendencies wanting to reach out and find someone. I know that until I am healthy and know myself, any new relationship would not be based on healthy needs. It was be based on the old unhealthy needs. I don't want to do that ever again.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

(((anubus))) I hope you are feeling better today. It's hard to be without the person we thought we'd spend forever with. It's taken me a long time- a year- to feel even a bit better. I do, though. I even feel grateful I am dealing with being alone. I am still very sad sometimes, but I make the effort to go out with friends, to talk to people I trust and going to counseling has helped me a lot. I also found taking long walks helped. I cried a lot, journaled too, and it's gotten me through. Just keep taking those baby steps and know it's not going to happen over night. Be easy on yourself and one day I bet you'll look back and realize you do feel so much better.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Big hug. Focusing on good friends and families help. It's painful breaking up and I'm still trying to do it myself. Congratulation on the strength you had to make the right decision. It's scary to be alone but I'm sure there is a better man just waiting for you. It will probably take a few more weeks but you will feel better little by little.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Dear heavens, god, goddess-not so sure I believe in any of them anymore.
But I'm maybe waay on the early stages. My STBXAH asked ME for a divorce.
And I don't want one. Don't want a life in which "Divorced" is a label I wear,
like a scarlet letter. Don't want to be alone, like I am a 1am tonight despairing,
a despair so great it is a recurrent keening wail of pain that seemingly will break me in two.

The fact is that I don't want to be SINGLE. I didn't like being single in my 20's let alone now at 40. I like married life. How does one go on-when there seems to be nothing left - no choice that seems to contain happiness or wholeness? It seems inconceivable that I shall survive this extreme lonliness that is likely to never end.

The last post said "It's scary to be alone but I'm sure there is a better man just waiting for you." but an earlier poster said "I'm almost 47, and am wondering if I will ever find the "right" man." Isn't the second one more likely? How many people on this site found a second marriage that was happy and lasting? Statistically there seems little hope when most divorced women never do remarry, and you hear story after story of the AXH remarring someone younger, prettier, thinner. I'm feeling so hopeless - and see little hope. Can anyone offer a statistic that tells me I'm not doomed? Feeling very much like a black hole, and can't seem to find a way out.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I don't have statistics, and wouldn't trust them if I found them.

The only statistic that is necessary is that I am whole and complete in and of myself. I'm a strong, kind, loving, funny, intelligent, not-too-unattractive woman who knows how to put herself in situations where she might find kindred spirits.

That, in itself, will put you ahead of the rest of the pack

I was absolutely petrified of being along for decades. Relationships came and went, and each time I clung tighter and tighter. I finally went into therapy and figured out how to meet my needs and reach my dreams without a partner. I worked hard at knowing myself, and even harder at liking myself.

As fate would have it, I married at 40 and am now 47, and still going strong. If I hadn't married, I'd still be happy --- I discovered there are many, many things and people and places and activities in the world that I love....more than i could ever hope to experience. I also meet men every day of my life who share common interests and who are wandering through life hoping for a loyal, smart, healthy, fun partner. There's plenty of backup, in other words.

Am I'm no Charlize Theron (well...maybe in Monster )

You do not have to be afraid. If you don't wish to live alone, you just have to find someone healthy in body and mind who loves the same things you do, and you do that by figuring out where they are likely to be, and being there as often as possible. Be a good friend, be a good partner, and your chances will smash the hell out of those stupid "statistics."

Have hope, ddot. This isn't the end. It's the beginning.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Quote:

Statistically there seems little hope when most divorced women never do remarry, and you hear story after story of the AXH remarring someone younger, prettier, thinner.

Ouch. This hurts because my dad did this and my mom was left alone and sad, never remarried or even had a male friend so I got to learn that living happy was with someone and being sad was related to being alone.

ERROR!

Now I live the same stuff with the ex with someone younger, in my opinion much prettier (although friends say I am prettier so..), young and much thinner so...

Now the facts

You cannot give what you do not have (aka happiness)
The fact they remarry with someone else says NOTHING about your worth
YOU define your own worth with your actions day by day
Just because there is no one telling you this daily it does not mean it is not still true.

Also, AS IF "they" were really good catches we women need to compete with for attention. May be my humble opinion and sadness talking but I think romantic relations are vastly overrated....

Come to think of it, thanks to this other girl that came along I am not able to cling to hope and stay in my dependency, hurts like hell but what would REALLY HURT would be to live another break up like this with addiction mixed in. I just would not be able to do it. This IS the last one just like Barb says.

Dettachment, good if someone comes along, and good if I stay single.. as my therapist said..

We are ALWAYS alone

And we can find "company" anytime...
Let's not miss life itself waiting for a wild dream to come true..

I am trying to learn all that. You only have yourself, and reality... my nickname is not a good dream and work towards it, it has been more like dreaming for the impossible and be miserable because its not there!!

Sorry for my ramblings but by now you should be used to them
Old 01-23-2009, 06:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
"Taking the risk to blossom"

I am 43 and trying to "escape" a 27 year relationship (20 married -- more than 1/2 my life!) and I am feeling much the same way -- afraid of being alone -- but, I AM alone in the relationship I'm in. And as one other member here (sorry I can't remember) says -- nothing changes if nothing changes. So therefore I know that, even if I "give one more chance", it will be the same -- the same emotional abuse, financial abuse, fear, anxiety, health issues because of anxiety, etc. etc.

I believe that media and other outside influences have us believe that we are not valuable unless someone else values us. Media especially try to convince us that we need to be beautiful, young, healthy, and vibrant to be worthy (especially women). It's such a myth! Those people -- those families -- are not real! I believe that the true value we will find in ourselves will be by being alone, at least for a time, to learn about ourselves, our strengths and weakness, and that we are, indeed, valuable -- whether we have a SO or not should be irrelevant.

One of my fears in separating from my AH is that all of my current friends (almost) are in long term relationships and how will I fit in to that "scene" anymore (these are childhood friends). But they are not without their problems and skeletons in their closets -- many of my friends know that they should or want to leave their relationships -- whether it is substance abuse, violence, non communication -- they are just not ready yet -- have not reached their bottoms.

I want to learn to value myself and my true worth -- a caring, loving, friendly, funny, wonderful mother, seasoned professional, wise woman -- not just "D's wife" -- and a person who deserves to be happy -- as does everyone. I know it's going to be a long long road but every day, I look more forward to the journey. Borrow courage from the supports around you and if you don't have enough support, find some more. One of the best supports I have found so far is being here -- with people who know EXACTLY what I'm going through -- that don't judge me for decisions (even when they are wrong!) and know there is light at the end of the tunnel. We're here for you (and each other!)
Old 01-23-2009, 07:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My XABF and I have been apart as long as we were together, about 6 years. In that time neither of us has dated anyone seriously. He's been with a lot of female drinking buddies and has had a few flings, and I've dated here and there, although never in any long term relationship.

A year ago my XABF started dating a twenty year old. He is 46, and has the same habits as he did 6 years ago. He also has the same habits that he did 10 years ago, 15 years ago, or 20 years ago. Only now it's worse, because alcoholism and drug addiction are progressive, as we all know.

When I heard he found a girlfriend that he takes seriously (she is not an addict), I felt shocked. Really horrified. But not because he is dating someone younger than I am (she isn't prettier or thinner, perchance). I felt panicked that all that stuff is going to happen again, and someone innocent is going to get hurt by it. Very hurt by it, in fact.

I know, Anabus, that you are in the earliest stages of breaking free of this lifestyle we know as coda/A, and you are not near a state where empathy for another woman is possible. I wasn't either weeks past out breakup. Also, no one swooped in and undermined the relationship I was in. This must be the absolute worst feeling, and I can't say I completely understand how that would be.

Some time after my breakup (maybe a year or so) I started to put myself on track again. And I found the scattered pieces of my life fit together pretty well. I could do a lot of things and be happy doing them alone. Sincerely happy. Once I found "being single" wasn't a pathetic state to be in, I started to look at being independent through a different lens. I also started looking around at couples around me, and realized very few of them were happy.

People ask me often if I am lonely, and I say from time to time, which is true. But I'm not TERRIBLY lonely. What's more, I not only like myself, but LOVE myself SO MUCH! Maybe that's immodest, but who cares? I have a rich full exciting life and - this is so great - I'm about to change careers at 40 years of age. And it'll take me a few years to do it, too!

So you see, this is why I feel sorry for the 20 year old. She has to face the soul-destroying merry-go-round of addiction.

So she has a boyfriend, so what???

I agree with the above poster, who questions how much emphasis we put on relationships.

And you know what? I'd rather be single for the rest of my life than go through life in that sickly cycle of addiction one episode after another.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

How are you doing?

Hi - I just came across this thread and I know it's old but I am wondering how you are doing and if everything worked out. I hope it did!

God Bless