Parents Check In

Old 08-14-2008, 08:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Parents Check In

Hi everyone. I thought all of the Moms and Dads could check in on here. My as was/is
going to a methadone clinic. He re-enrolled in school, and Im hopeful, at age 20, that
he is done with the drugs this time.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

thanks for asking. 22 yo AS is out there living with the enabling relatives of ex-husband. I'm just hanging in there trying to live life abundantly. I'm learning that waiting is truly the hard work of hope.

But, i'm learning to golf, got chosen for the all-star softball game that we'll be playing at the end of season picnic, and am thinking about visiting my son who lives near DC so i can do a visit of all the monuments and that great Catholic church that's over there. Life is good!!
Old 08-14-2008, 08:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Stepanie. My daughter is at home, has been here for two weeks. She is clean, working a program and started a job on Monday so that she can clean up the mess of the last two years. I am getting ready to go back to work in two weeks. Want to do a thorough house cleaning, but you know how that goes I am still exercising and walking my furbabies everyday. They help keep me centered. And I started an Al-anon meeting on Tuesdays. Only one close enough to go to. They are a nice bunch of women and I think it will help me. Hubby still looking for a job but is working construction until one becomes available. So all in all life is going along as it should be. Hugs, Marle
Old 08-14-2008, 12:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm doing fine, just hanging out on my lake, listening to the wind chimes, and soaking up as much sunshine as I can

My back on the wagon daughter got her GED the other day, went to the doctor and found out she really is sick (somethings going around here because I have it too), and has a retracted eardrum. She went cliff jumping in the lake two months ago and the pressure was too much. She scheduled an appt with an ENT.

Edited to add I've been surfing and researching retracted eardrums, found more information and pictures than I want to know or see. I didn't think I was squeamish until I watched a few videos lol.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

We give our 20 year old AD, with more dual diagnosises than you can shake a stick at, a bed, provided she is home by 11: P.M. She has yet to miss a curfew so, for now, she values a bed, in a safe place. She does not have a house key, alarm code, garage code, use of a car or phone.

It's my house/car. My rules.

It's her life, her choices and her consequences.

I work on detachement.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

RAS is alittle over 6 months clean and sober and working his program.
We are all going to Myrtle Beach for the week this saturday.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Pretty sure daughter is using again. Well more than sure I guess I just don't want to face it.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for asking. I am doing well, taking care of me. Last I heard my RAS has been clean almost 2 years (Oct) I go to court with him, (I think if not postponed again) on Sept 29th. I would love to get an I'm sorry I'll pay you back before that, but leaving it up to my HP.
Glad to hear so many others are doing well also, and that they are taking care of themselves.
Love all of you and want to thank everyone for their support.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the check in.

I am doing well, attend Nar-Anon on Thursdays, Al-Anon on Fridays and read & post on SR throughout the week.

My 27 yr old AS is living with a using/dealing friend of his exgf's, claims he is not using but I don't believe him. We talk by phone a couple times a week, used to be a couple times a day (!) so I'm grateful for more peace & quiet.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
BBD

Good post!! For today things are OK here in Fredonia for me... My hubbies been away all week and Chris has called me 3 times after work to check in. He also invited us to come and visit him this week-end. Duey gets home late Sat so we may push this off till next week-end. I'm just hoping he;s doing well and staying healthy but thats totally up to him. Smiles, Bonnie
Old 08-16-2008, 05:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Things are going well. My RAD has moved back in with me as of 3 weeks ago. Her fiance broke up with her & called everything off. My daughter has been handling herself very well. She is sad, but working at staying busy. She has a wonderful group of friends from the program. She signed up to take an online college class so she can figure out if she truley wants to go back to college. Oh yeah...now ex fiance thinks he has made a big mistake. My daughter will not jump back in right now. Too afraid of being hurt again. She is just working on her. Today is a beautiful day. Sunny will be about 77. We are doing a picnic for my mother in law who turns 80 today. It is at my favorite park on the lake. Glad to hear how everyone is doing.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for the opportunity to "check in"

I am learning that recovery is about more than refraining from substance abuse...

My RAS has been clean for 2 years and I am so proud of him

In order to enjoy the drug-free life he has achieved he needs to continue working on the issues that led him to abuse in the first place

recovery is a lifelong process...it's never completed!

But if I apply the political litmus test "Are you better off today than you were 4 years ago?" the answer is a definite "YES!"

as always...I hold each of you in my thoughts and prayers
Old 08-16-2008, 07:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hmmm...

realized my update was all about RAS

I'm doing fine....slowly reclaiming my life (with a few set backs along the way)
Old 08-16-2008, 07:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Update on me

I am doing better than I was yesterday, and I will continue to do better tommorrow. I refuse to let the depression and other junk keep me down for long.
I got a call while I was at work last night (because my phone was shut off) from my RAS, he got a job he starts on monday, he has been clean since May 15(not sure how many days that is), he is trying to get an apartment in Mason City so he can go to school and work this fall. He was really proud of himself because he has worked out the finances all on his own w/o my help, which feels good to me to. He has a plan in place to pay off his fines, which doesn't include MOM helping him.
I also have a plen in place, just waiting for everything to fall in place and concentrating on being patient to let GOD work his paln for me. Back to living one day at a time istead of 1 hr of 1 min. Still have a long way to go, but am determined to get there.
I truely could not get thru this without the support of the people on this sight, Thank you all for being there, you guys ROCK.
Barb
Old 08-16-2008, 07:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great to hear from everybody. I wish we could all meet for coffee and cheesecake here at my place.
I am feeling resentful this morning, I just came back from taking Brandon to the methadone clinic. I told him it would be the last time i would give him a
ride. He has the same attitude, appearance and I dont think hes taking recovery seriously.
I may go to the gym today-uh, no mean I WILL go to the gym. I have
a manicure this afternoon.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lil516 View Post
Hmmm...

realized my update was all about RAS

I'm doing fine....slowly reclaiming my life (with a few set backs along the way)
Good catch.

I have to force myself to make "I" statements.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for asking Stefanie,

How am I???? Totally insane at this point in time.

Let's see, RAD and her Rbf are both fine, have 14 months clean. But......
they have decided to get married. They had been talking about it for this summer and I hoped they would wait a year, after ad graduated from college. Well, they found a hall that had an opening on Columbus day weekend.
Oh yeah, they figured that would be great!!

In two weeks we have a hall, a wedding dress, shoes, veil, invitations bought printed and now mailed, maid of honor and best man picked etc.
I have a shower to plan, and all the other little stuff that goes with a wedding.

In less than 2 weeks she starts college again.
In less than 2 months we'll have a wedding.

Along with that she had emailed her father back in May that they were considering marriage, so he got a lawyer to try and stop child support. He's still paying cause she's still in college, and will graduate in May.
He got a real Bi**ch of a lawyer and she's been off the wall over the whole thing, now I really don't have the patience for stupidity in a lawyer, especially with everything else going on. And could her father just call or email and ask what's happening, nah, that would be easy or normal or whatever. Is he invited? not sure if he is or if he'd come.....

How am I???

I think I'm OK, especially if insane is considered OK.......

Old 08-17-2008, 08:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
On a tear

Another mom, checking in.

Daughter is clean (today) and living with us. She brought her two babies - who are the light in our lives. One is two years old, the other is nine months old. They both weigh the same.... eek! (and oh my back - did it go out last week... BAD!!)

Son is still using, also living with us. I am using as much of my recovery as I can with him. So far, he uses outside our home and knows our feelings about p[ot and alcohol.

So lots of folks living in our home... yet I am pretty darned happy. Amazing.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Cliff Notes version:

I'm doing great - celebrated 25 years of recovery in Alanon. It changed my life. And I am still active.

AS #1 celebrated 25 years clean and sober in May and turned 40 the next week. Through the program of AA.

AS #2 started in recovery in 1983 and had a few years - but started using again - and really hasn't been a part of my life since then. He called one year ago and said he had 10 days in AA - and now he has one year. We talk regularly and I've seen him 3 times (we live on opposite Coasts).

I cherish the time I have with both sons - and make each day count. But I know that no matter what the future holds - for any of us - I will be ok. Because I have a loving and forgiving HP that holds me in the palm of His hand.

Love in recovery,
Jody Hepler
Old 08-19-2008, 10:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,
I am glad to catch up on everyone. It has been a busy end of the summer, hopefully w/ fall coming things will settle down a little.

I am doing ok, still going to my meetings, reading, etc and reaching out to new parents in my group. Amazing how similar we all are.

My granddaughter starts kindergarten Monday, (my son's daugher, he has full custody) and I hate to see her enter the real world. This child literally saved my life before I came here, helping w/ her gave me a reason to go on for a long, long time. Now I go on because I am getting better and better. most day's anyway!

Kasey is doing well, still going to "school", completed IOP, now doing the step down program in addition to meetings and counseling. Mostly grouchy and pregnany, waiting on the baby boy. She is due Sept 9, but I doubt she makes it.

She has been drug free since May 29, has a good outlook and attitude again. I find myself enjoying her being around. Then i remember and scare myself by not wanting to get too close, enjoy the baby etc. Trying to take it one breath at a time. It works, but I am still me deep down.

The gals in my office gave me a "grandma shower". never heard of it, but it was fun, and lots of good food and boy stuff!!

Love to all, think of you alot just don't make myself sit down and write.

susan