Notices

detox sucks

Old 08-13-2008, 09:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

detox sucks

good morning all. first, let me thank those who took time out to respond to my previous post, it is a true blessing to be understood. i am going to meetings and have been for about 3 weeks now, reading the big book and looking at every resource that i can--which is how i found this site....i don't have any illusions over whether or not i'm an alcocholic despite only having abused severely over the last 18 months....i know i can't take a drink. i actually gave up mj and powder back in spring 07 and have not wandered back into that field--so far. i wrote that earlier post around 5:30am EST and it's now noon and i haven't been able to sleep a wink...my mind wont stop moving, i'm going back and forth between shaking, sweating and freezing my a*s off, i can't stay off the toilet or sit still for very long and although i'm starving i cannot eat. my mouth tastes like i sucked on a penny and my stomach is kiliing me....i've been so drunk for the last year and a half--i never had a chance to experience detox and it sucks. any advice on how to tame the physical pain. i'm determined not to drink, today. i know if i do i will surely die, whether sooner or later. i know if i can make it through this pain and the subsequent discomfort of self-inventory, i can do it.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Yes, you can do it; however, if it gets too bad, please go to the ER. Detoxing alone can be extremely dangerous. :praying
Old 08-13-2008, 10:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It'll get easier and then you'll know you won't ever want to go through that again! Been there, done that!
Old 08-13-2008, 12:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Seriously Fun!

I really would also recommend going to the ER if you can. Detoxing can be very dangerous. And I personally could never do it alone. I had to get help.

Hugs to you for trying to make it.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Medical assistance is the preferred way to go...at least try not to be alone while you're going through withdrawal.

In the meantime, some home remedies...which would also be suggested by professionals (in addition to anything prescribed:

lots of fluids...water, cranberry juice, apple juice (body becomes dehydrated on alcohol)
avoid caffeine (makes you jittery and interrupts sleep)
hard candies (alcoholic beverages contain a lot of sugar)
B vitamins (or any good multi-vitamin)
warm baths (just to help you relax)
Immodium D (for the "runs")
eat light...sleep when you can (appetite will return, sleep patterns settle down in time)
get phone numbers at the meetings (make sure you use them, if you start to weaken)
have the local AA hot-line number available

As a last resort...the nearest ER. With any luck, the worst of the detox should be 3 - 5 days.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I also drank herbal "relaxing" teas, like Sweet Dreams and Tension TAmer, I also went to our local health food store and got some Evening Primrose Oil gelcaps to help with the withdrawal symptoms. Milk Thistle is also good for detoxing as it cleans your liver and systems. This is not medical advice as i'm not a doctor, and wouldn't give medical advice over the internet even if I were an MD. These are nutritional supplements that can be found in any "natural food" store.

Do keep someone close to you for the next few days as you may need someone to call 911 for you if you get too bad. And going to the ER if you get too bad is a good idea too.

Just remember, if you stay sober you'll never have to go thru this hell again. I've been really stupid since last December as I'd quit drinking, go thru horrible withdrawals, and then end up drinking again... and having to go thru withdrawals all over again. I guess I have to be hit pretty hard before I realize something is bad for me.

:ghug3
Old 08-13-2008, 04:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're getting through this, but do call the dr if you have any problems.

I wish you well.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

again thanks to all who have shared. i hope that i didn't give the impression that i was looking for medical advice, as i know it is prohibited on these forums. i just wanted to hear of any home remedies that were helpful or symptoms that anyone else suffered with. i just came back from a good meeting and got some numbers while i was there. i've got a busy day scheduled tomorrow and i haven't slept since Monday. thank you all for your sincere concern.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Seriously Fun!

All Right!! That is great to hear. I wish you strenth, and peace.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Just remember that the sincere concern we have for you is the same sincere concern others have shown to us! We can't "keep it" unless we "give it away"!! Keep coming back!

Old 08-13-2008, 06:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ambush, if you are still having Detox symptoms like that after 3 weeks I really think you should go see a DR. They certainly can help you out.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Ambush, I won't presume to speak for you but didn't you mean you'd been 'going to meeting' for three weeks and not 'sober' for three weeks? That's the impression I got. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!

Old 08-13-2008, 11:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I agree...it's doctor or ER time.
Be honest about your drinking so they
can treat you properly.

Please be both safe and sober
Good to see you again..
Old 08-14-2008, 10:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Detox sure does suck. The physical stuff isn't too bad for me, I am pretty young, mid twenties, but the mental part is very unnerving. I'm on and off, done about two days this month, and the brain spasms and brain fog are not good. And it's horrible when you have no attention span at all, and it makes you anxious. I really need to stop drinking this month - turn to stuff that is good for recovery, nutrition, sleep, relaxation, light exercise, time. No point in thinking or worrying about anything while you are ill....

Just try and care for yourself, there is only one of you.