Language of Letting Go - August 13 - Friends

Old 08-13-2008, 02:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - August 13 - Friends

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Friends

Don't overlook the value of friendship. Don't neglect friends.

Friends are a joy. Adult friendships can be a good place for us to learn to have fun and to appreciate how much fun we can have with a friend.

Friends can be a comfort. Who knows us better, or is more able to give us support, than a good friend? A friendship is a comfortable place to be ourselves. Often, our choice of friends will reflect the issue we're working on. Giving and receiving support will help both people grow.

Some friendships wax and wane, going through cycles throughout the years. Some trail off when one person outgrows the other. Certainly, we will have trials and tests in friendships and, at times, be called on to practice our recovery behaviors.

But some friendships will last a lifetime. There are special love relationships, and there are friendships. Sometimes, our friendships - especially recovery friendships - can be special love relationships too.

Today, I will reach out to a friend. I will let myself enjoy the comfort, joys, and enduring quality of my friendships.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

One of the most precious gifts of recovery has been the friends I have met here.

I treasure the friends I have met, through here, and who are always a phone call away and who know me better than most of my friends outside recovery.

I also have some "sister" kinda friends, who have known me all my life and even though our paths have taken us on different journeys and we live in different places, they will always be like family to me and a very special part of my life.

For so many years I isolated in my world of addiction and codependency, I wanted to be alone and was unable to share with the outside world the pain that I felt in mine. Recovery opened that door for me, and slowly I began to renew acquaintances, make new friends and appreciate the joy each friendship brings.

Just for today I will remember my friends, and feel gratitude for how they have stood by me on my worst days and my best...because that's what friends do.

Hugs
Old 08-13-2008, 04:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow! This hit it on the head for me today. Makes me cry just to read it. Thanks Ann. I too appreciate all the support and friendship I have found here. It has been so difficult for me to reach out to others and I am still struggling with that. Being able to reach out here has been such a huge step for me. This couldn't have been more perfect today.... I am trying to decide if I want to reach out to an old friend or if I am more comfortable and safe staying my shell... this just my be the push and reminder I need. Thanks again!