Notices

New Again

Old 08-12-2008, 06:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Again

Hi,

I posted here close to 1 year ago when I thought I was ready to quit drinking. Well, I guess I really wasn't ready. I'm back to try again. I've tried to stop a couple of times since last year and made it about 3 weeks once before starting all over again. I'm a stay-at-home mom with 2 young children. It has been a very long, and sometmes stressful summer with the kids at home. I recently started seeing a counselor for a little depression and overall sadness. I admitted to her that I thought I had a drinking problem. Although she does not specialize in the addiction field it was a relief to admit it to her. I am currently on Day 3 and really want this to work this time.

Thanks for listening.

Txsar
Old 08-12-2008, 06:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Welcome Back! SR is always open 24/7 and when we are ready to do
what we need to do for ourselves that is when we do it, so no sweat there!

Glad that you are seeing a counselor and hope that it will begin to bring you
some peace of mind! When we admit things drinking or whatever it maybe it gives
us a sense of relief and peace within so that is an awesome first step!

Day 4 tomorrow

We are here for you and others will be along with more support and some ES & H to share with you!

Glad you came back-
Old 08-12-2008, 07:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back and come join us on the Chronic or August threads. There are many in very early sobriety and the support is amazing!
Old 08-12-2008, 07:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Your not alone Txsar, I joined this site along time before I was ready to quit aswell, but today I am working on my 40th day and it is getting easier. I have 3 daughters and the summer holidays are like you say, quite stressfull at times, so I understand how you feel but drinking really dosn't help, in fact it makes things worse, little children and hangovers don't mix well, well in my experience anyway

Day 3 is great, keep reading and posting, there is loads of good advice here.

Sax
Old 08-12-2008, 07:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Seriously Fun!

Welcome, and yes...many of us have tried to stop over and over again. Just don't give up.

Remember...doing it for your kids is good, but doing it for yourself is even better. They need you to love yourself in order to love them.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

txsar Welcome too from ME!!!!!!!!!!1

thanks for sharing

you can do it

you are doing it

i can't imagine how hard it is to be a single mother....so you got a ton of strength in you already....you can do this

keep up the good work
Old 08-12-2008, 08:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Tx! I'm in Texas too. I had many false starts before I got and stayed clean and sober. I am glad that your seeing someone. Have you thought of going to AA? That what I do and it is working for me
Old 08-12-2008, 08:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Txsar,

I joined last year also and thought I was ready to quit but I wasn't through yet. I'm back on here and am sober right now. Glad you made your way back!
Old 08-12-2008, 09:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your welcomes. It does help to have someone who's been there done that.

ksplash5 - I'm actually married. My husband is very supportive but I haven't told him yet this time that I'm not drinking. He of course will notice, probably already has, but hasn't asked about it. I'll talk to him about it soon.

I have considered AA and have even driven by a couple of meetings but didn't go in. I need to wait until after the week of Sept. 8th before I try AA again. I have to testify in a trial that week and really don't want my drinking problem to come to light before then. It's totally unrelated to my drinking, but it's just better if I wait. I'm depending on this site, my counseling and prayer to get to that point.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Seriously Fun!

Sounds like you have to do what you have to do...

Welcome, again. And yeah...this site can help in so many ways. And with therapy...that helps too.

You may want to check out the SMART recovery website. It has a lot of good workbook kinda of tools to work on your own.

SMART RecoveryŽ - Tool Chest and Homework
Old 08-12-2008, 11:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Txsar, welcome back to SR Congratulations, 3 days is awesome.

Counseling is the mainstay of my (uhmm.. eclectic) recovery program; I find that talking to a therapist is very helpful. Though it's not necessarily easy at times, I think that the results are more than worth it. My therapist does not specialize in addiction either - in fact, in many ways I seem to be pretty much the opposite of her "usual" clients. Despite this, however, I trust her completely and her help has been invaluable.

Keep posting, good luck
Old 08-12-2008, 11:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you LogCabin for the website link. I will check it out. I do want to try AA at some point and wish that I could now. I know with the upcoming trial I will need to be strong in my sobriety.

Thanks for the welcome MattCake79. I think therapy will be helpful during this period of time. I am going every week now at least through the end of the trial and then I'll see from there. I'll probably continue but just not as frequently. I think it will kind of help keep me accountable.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hiya darl, and welcome to SR!

Im a married SAHM too - 3 young kiddos. I find that school holidays, and generally day to day stuff can be very taxing, and I often find myself bored and lonely which I am sure as you may have experienced too - generally adds to my drinking problem. After a hard day with the kids bickering and demanding, it sure feels like a reward to wind down with a glass of wine at the end of a day! Its taken me a while to get through my head its not actually a reward at all - its a poison, with the potential to rip my family apart. Good on you for giving stopping another go, and I hope you have the support of your hubby. I seem to seeing around 4 different people at the moment to "fix my head" (Phychiatrist, Alcohol counsellor etc etc) and whilst it can feel a bit full on at times it seems to be working. Between them, SR and the occasional AA meeting I seem to be making good progress and I pray the same for you. PM if ya ever wanna chats bout the trials of SAH parenting and the temptation to "unwind" at the end of the day!

God bless you and yours, Luvvies!
Gerts.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I remember you - I think you came here right after I did - it took me 5 mos. of reading other's stories to finally get the courage to say I was ready to lay it down. I have almost 7 mos., no setbacks so far. SR must have made the difference, since I'd tried every way imaginable to stop in the past. Something was different for me this time, I knew I was finally ready - I hope it turns out that way for you too. Welcome to your new life. Love, Joanie
Old 08-12-2008, 09:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for the website Log Cabin. That might be really helpful.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome back! I left for a while too but I'm so glad I came back(even if others aren't so thrilled-LOL)

Congrats on day 3.It's such a huge step and you know you're not alone here.It's good to see you again.Stick around!

Julesxox
Old 08-12-2008, 10:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 08-13-2008, 05:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Made it to day 4!

Gertiegirl, I can so relate to your story. Wine was defininetly my reward at the end of the day. But, it began to make me feel more guilty and less tolerant more than anything else. Yes, the little things especially now are very taxing. How my day started today? My 3 yr old and 6 yr old were already at each other before I got out of bed and my 3 yr old went to time-out before I could say "good morning". This too shall pass.....

Thank you Jules62, Hevyn and Chiynita for the welcomes.

Congrats Hevyn for your almost 7 months!!! That is a great accomplishment!!
Old 08-13-2008, 06:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Hi Txsar. I can relate to a lot of what you've said so far. Keep up the good work, and keep coming back here. I've only been on this site for 24 hours but it's already making a difference to me.