Notices

Advice Finding a Sponsor?

Old 08-11-2008, 10:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice Finding a Sponsor?

Hey all,

I've been running my program without a sponsor, but know that I need one if I don't want to go out again.

My first sponsor was a disaster. Then I went without for a long time. Now I've called someone I met at a meeting, who I thought would be a great candidate...only to get blown off-- I left a message, but no call back.

Trouble is, I'm shy. I often don't like meeting new people. I'm just now slowly even beginning to learn to let my guard down.

I know I need a sponsor. I just don't know what I should do.

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks!

All the best,

B'sT
Old 08-11-2008, 10:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I highly recommend that people read the pamphlet on sponsorship. Then...the only way out is through. At some point I simply had to decide to ask no matter how scared I was.

Wish you luck!
Old 08-11-2008, 11:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I like to watch prospective "sponsors", and see them a few times at meetings, and perhaps just talk with them (not about being my sponsor). I have found that the first time they can seem like the best thing since the shoe was invented and the next time I wonder what the heck was I thinking.

I'm sponsorless.....but I do make it a point, a part of my meeting, to always talk with someone before and/or after the meeting. at least one person, 5 minutes minimum. more than one is even better. I have to put myself out there a little bit and try to be part of the group in some way. I'm doing this more, making it a mandatory part of my meeting. I need about a 2 hour time slot to go to a meeting. the contacts/conversations can be just as rewarding as a meeting, and if it was an unrewarding meeting, it can still be a "feel good" time if I make a good connection.

If someone asks me if i need a sponsor and offers themselves, I almost automatically put them in the "you're not going to be my sponsor" category.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

^ Both VERY good suggestions. ^

Also - maybe be sure your prospective new sponsor is familiar with the 12 steps. I feel it is a primary responsibility of a sponsor to guide the sponsee through the steps.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Do you go to mtgs. at the Canyon Club.
Lots of old-timers there in a large variety of mtgs.

Part of recovery is breaking down resistance, which is sounds like you are doing.
You're seeking a sponsor...you can get it done by making it a priority this month.

GLAD TO HEAR YOU ARE MOVING FORWARD.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
mle-sober

If someone asks me if i need a sponsor and offers themselves, I almost automatically put them in the "you're not going to be my sponsor" category. -- ksplash5

Why would you do that?