"All About ME Friday"

Old 08-08-2008, 03:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Talking "All About ME Friday"

Yes, it's that time again when we codies can celebrate the wonderful people we are by having a day that is all about ME.

I hereby declare today "All About ME Friday" and to honour this special occasion AND the special person I am...yes, indeedie I AM...I will treat myself to a day of no housework (okay, I cheated and have already done a load of laundry)...and I will take a walk along the shore with my cat Toby and take time to smell the roses...or in my case, wildflowers, that grow along the walking path.

Then I shall take myself to Wal-Mart where I get my best birdfeed for my feathered friends, and treat myself to some comfy, cozy Canadian style nightwear...maybe some fun new PJ's and a new pair of bunny slippers (why ARE they so hard to find except at Christmas?).

On the way home, I shall stop at Dairy Queen for a hot fudge waffle bowl sundae and enjoy every bite without thinking of calories (I believe the waffle bowl is fibre that will negate the nasty calories in these things...that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!).

Just for today I will remind myself often that it is okay to have a day that is all about me and where I can just let the rest of the world take care of itself.

How about you? What special thing will you do today to celebrate the special person you are?

Last edited by Ann; 08-08-2008 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Toby is my caT not my Car ha ha
Old 08-08-2008, 04:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Yet again another great idea from Ann!

Hey, tell ya what. I'll meet you at the Dairy Queen. And if I'm running late, just order me one of those heavy duty, chocolate, waffle bowl, sundae things. But hey, can you supersize mine? (I'm making up for missing the last "All About Me" Friday... )

Going to go put on warpaint before heading to the office. But while I'm putting on warpaint, I'm going to think about how I can make this an all about me Friday. It might not work for me to do it today, so I'm going to take the liberty here to tell all our SR friends that if you can't make today and "All About Me" day, you can chose another day. I think my day might be tomorrow since work is calling me today.

And isn't it just amazing when we take the time to focus on ourselves? Gives me so much more peace and serenity to plan what I want to do tomorrow instead of trying to orchestrate someone elses life, especially when that someone else doesn't care to go along with my orchestrating!

Anybody else want one of those chocolate waffle bowl things? Meet us at Dairy Queen.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
rozied

Ann A great idea but I have to make it an ALL About Me Saturday. Tomorrow I will not have to get up early so I will try & sleep as late as I can. Then take a long wonderful shower & wash my hair. I will relax & get all ready to get a hair trim & I said trim, I am letting it grow. This is the 1st pair of scissors I am letting near me since Nov & I will make sure she just takes a bit off the ends.
Then I will go to my mom & dad's meet my sister & we will all go out to dinner to celebrate their 66th Anniversary. After dinner my dad is going home & the 3 of us are going to Bingo. I have plans of winning the Jackpot but whatever happens it will be a fun nite!!!
Old 08-08-2008, 05:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Wooo Hooo, I love company at the Dairy Queen and I hope that my southern belle friend Hangin' can get that hoopy skirt through the door...sometimes I have to shove from behind but so far that works.

And Rozie, sleeping in is a luxury I'd like one day but even on days off I just wake up and that's it....might be because my Toby has a hissy fit thinking every day is all about him...harummmph.

I'm not even dressed yet, ha ha, because I have been taking pictures of the swans on the bay in front of my house. They are sooooo pretty and I'm sure my neighbours are getting an eyeful watching that crazy codie in her jammies on the lawn sneaking up to the shore with my camera.

I'll be back to check and hope to see some more great ideas on how to make today all about you.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Mmmmm...all about me will start this evening when my chauffer (husband) carries me to JC Penney to find a new bathing suit. I'd normally hate bathing suits and even though I'm not exactly where i want to be with my weight, I've lost 45 pounds and will look just fine! Maybe I'll make the chauffer accompany me and purchase me dinner this evening. I don't know.

Then I'll head home and get some sleep and wake up early to mow the lawn (yes some might think this is weird but I've come to enjoy getting up at 8:00 in the morning to push mow the grass. The world is pretty quiet at that time on a Saturday and I enjoy getting sweaty and find that I can come to peace with things that bother me while I mow.)

Then I'm going to get in the kitchen to bake a homemade cake with homemade lemon chiffon frosting (my true love is baking, doncha know, none of that box stuff). The some friends are coming over to bbq with us that evening.

I'll thoroughly enjoy this weekend and I'll thoroughly enjoy myself while I'm at it!!!
Old 08-08-2008, 05:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
rozied

Ann, You are so blessed to live near the shore. for much o my life I lived on Long Island & the shore is one of my favorite places. In PA the nearest I get to a shore is a lake!
I do not sleep late either. since I am a little girl I go to bed very early & wake up very early. Early morning is my favorite time of the day cuz just about the whole world is sleeping, I am full of energy, and I get alot of things I want to do, done.
Have funny chasing the ducks!
Old 08-08-2008, 06:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Rozie, my shore is along a lake too, well actually Georgian Bay which is part of Lake Huron (the second largest of the Great Lakes). But it's big water, very deep and rugged and magical at sunrise and sunset.

Now what I need to know is how Jwife lost 45 pounds and can still eat cake....a dream life where I come from. Well, maybe I'll ask her AFTER I get back from the Dairy Queen.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

congratulations on the weight loss!... make sure you make enough cake for the group 2
Originally Posted by Jwife22 View Post
Mmmmm...all about me will start this evening when my chauffer (husband) carries me to JC Penney to find a new bathing suit. I'd normally hate bathing suits and even though I'm not exactly where i want to be with my weight, I've lost 45 pounds and will look just fine! Maybe I'll make the chauffer accompany me and purchase me dinner this evening. I don't know.

Then I'll head home and get some sleep and wake up early to mow the lawn (yes some might think this is weird but I've come to enjoy getting up at 8:00 in the morning to push mow the grass. The world is pretty quiet at that time on a Saturday and I enjoy getting sweaty and find that I can come to peace with things that bother me while I mow.)

Then I'm going to get in the kitchen to bake a homemade cake with homemade lemon chiffon frosting (my true love is baking, doncha know, none of that box stuff). The some friends are coming over to bbq with us that evening.

I'll thoroughly enjoy this weekend and I'll thoroughly enjoy myself while I'm at it!!!
Old 08-08-2008, 06:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Ann,
I love these all about me posts. First I will start my day by working a short shift. After that I will pack up the car and head off to my summer place in the country for the week-end. I'll sit on my swing and watch the ducks in the duck pond behind my place. It should be a fun week-end. The place where I lease for the year has entertainment every Sat. This Sat. will be Neil Diamond and Shania Twain impersonators. I'm sure sometime over the week-end ice cream is involved.

Thanks Ann, enjoy that waffle thingy.............................Lo
Old 08-08-2008, 06:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My "All About Me" Friday unfortunately includes working, but with the encouragement of this post I am going to buy myself lunch (Burger King - yum!) instead of eating the Lean Pocket I brought and I am going to attend my Friday night AlAnon group which always makes me feel good.

Enjoy the DQ!
Old 08-08-2008, 07:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I live near the shore so today will definitely include time at the ocean...
the water temp is perfect in august and I love being in the surf

I'm hoping to get enough exercise riding waves to allow an ice cream cone this evening....(large please WITH sprinkles)

wishing a beautiful day to all....
Old 08-08-2008, 07:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
'Round and 'Round I Go....

Hot Dang! I must have taken this whole "All About Me" idea to a whole new level cause I've been functioning as if it's all about me everyday.

I believe I will, after work and visiting my dad at the rehab clinic/nursing home, indulge in some much need R&R and gather some essentials together to get ready for my much anticipated trip to see Wildbucky in two weeks. I'm a neurotic planner...must have all my ducks in a row so that I'm not running around like a crazy woman and forgetting things.

Wish I could join you with an ice cream sundae, Ann but I've been working so hard on getting the pounds off that an ice cream sundae would bring on too much guilt and force me to exercise an extra day on the weekend. Five days a week is enough for me.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
rozied

Jwife I'd like to know how you lost 45 lbs also? I have about 20 I want to drop & cuz I like my cake way too much I am having a hard time getting it off.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Funny thing- I don't actually care for sweets. I probably won't actually eat the cake or if I do, it'll only be a bite or two. Then, when everyone has had a slice, someone must take it home or it goes in the garbage. Same with "junk" that is at our house for gatherings.

Losing weight hasn't been easy but its totally been worth it!
Old 08-08-2008, 08:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Originally Posted by Cupicake View Post
I'm a neurotic planner...must have all my ducks in a row so that I'm not running around like a crazy woman and forgetting things.

Uh, Cupicake, would you please plan my "All About Me" day since you're the neurotic planner? I have way too much to do...have to work extra hard doing another gal's job in office since she just left for the day for a dr's appt, and then I have my work to do, then I need to get to the bank to sign some documents, oh, oh, and I need to look at my homeowner's ins policy because I'm not sure what we're really covered for, oh, oh, and then I need to pull out my doctor's bill and Explanation of Benefits sheets from the health insurance company for last year and figure out why I didn't get credit for my $150 that's supposed to be applied to my "well woman visit", and ....

*big sigh*.........

Am I missing the point here?

Nevermind Cupicake.

Ann, order me the sundae waffle bowl thing AND a Heath Bar Blizzard. I'm on my way....
(Obviously the losing weight thing isn't too high on my priority list. Well, I'm being smart and thinking I shouldn't tackle ALL things at once. )
Old 08-08-2008, 08:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
'Round and 'Round I Go....

Hangin', it's dangerous to ask for help and dangle a list like that in front of a recovering codie/enabler's face. I was tempted to take half your list and help you with it.

Forget about everything else and just go for the sundae. Here's the plan...walk into Dairy Queen...Baskin Robbins...Carvel...wherever they have your favorite ice cream. Bang your fist on the counter and say, "Waffle Bowl, 3 scoops, chocolate syrup, whip cream, cherry...NOW! and don't forget the spoon Bud!"
Old 08-08-2008, 09:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well, I actually started calorie counting in January. Its taken me 8 months to lose it because I've taken it slow this time.

I have always heard that the quicker you lose it, the more likely you are to put the weight back on. I find that to be 100% true. It takes 3,500 calories to drop one pound. A safe weight loss is 1 -2 lbs per week. In the beginning you lose faster as you lose water weight first. You also lose faster in the beginning if you are heavier.

First things first, log what you'd normally eat in a day. Don't not eat something you normally would because you are writing it down. Eat normally. Then tally the calories. There are PLENTY of websites that can tell you the calorie total of what you eat. I was amazed at how many calories I consumed in one day. (You also need to know what your BMR is to calculate just how many calories you should be eating but it is ONLY a guideline. I have a great website for that if you PM me.)

Decrease that amount by 100 calories per week until you've built up between a 500 and 1,000 calorie deficit per day from your old eating habits. Now, as a normal woman, you are NEVER to drop below 1,200 calories per day without doctors and strict supervision. (1,500 for a normal man). If you are more overweight, that number increases. Your body requires a certain amount of calories just to function and keep our organs going. I know there are days when I don't hit 1,200 if I'm feeling bad or have really bad PMS but it is 1 or 2 days. Long term eating below 1,200 WILL cause your weight loss to slow and your weight gain (when you increase you calories back up if you hit goal) to go really fast. It will also cause other serious health problems with your body.

Now, I ate more than 1,200 calories on a normal basis because I was more overweight. I stuck to between 1,400 and 1,600 until I dropped some weight. That was very important because we are more likely to give up if we feel starved than if we feel comfortable. It is normal to feel a little hungry when you are dropping your calories.

It is always important to get FIBER in your diet. At least 25 grams of fiber per day but preferably 35 grams. Supplements (I like chewable Benefiber) are fine. It is very hard to get that much fiber and you'd be surprised how little fiber you get.

Once you have figured out your “comfortable level” of eating (I normally do not hit a 1,000 calorie deficit because I always feel hungry and my weight loss slows) you can eat that amount until you lose some weight. Once you lose weight, you have to refigure because your calorie allowance drops.

In the beginning counting calories is TEDIOUS and aggravating. Its hard to eat out because you don’t know what you are getting (especially with salads, some salads have more calories than a hamburger would have) and sometimes its hard to come up with new creative ways to cook at home (I’ve gotten pretty good at this from experimenting).

Also, I have a sweet treat when I want to. I love Skinny Bear Ice Cream Sandwiches. They have 100 calories and are low in fat. I also love creamsicles, they have 70 calories. No Pudge Brownies are also really good and I’ve started seeing them in stores lately.

I also still eat what I like, I eat pizza, only now I do thin crust, less cheese and no meats. A thin crust slice from Pizza Hut has about 190 calories per slice. I also eat hamburgers, we eat 90% lean beef and 2% reduced fat cheese on a light whole wheat or whole grain bun. There are ways to still eat what you like but drastically reduce the fat and calories in those foods. Just experiment to reduce the calories in recipes.

I guess the biggest thing is don’t give up. You WILL mess up and that’s okay. I used to would get the mindset that said “well, you screwed up breakfast you might as well just eat whatever else you want for lunch and dinner” and I would. I’d get a greasy hamburger and fries and eat some JUNK for dinner. Don’t do that to yourself. Just say, we’ll okay, I can still salvage the day by eating a light and healthy lunch and dinner.

I have now gotten to the point of where a greasy hamburger and fries will make me sick because I haven’t really eaten a bunch of that stuff.

Okay. Ann Sorry to Hijack the thread!!!! I’m done!!!!
Old 08-08-2008, 09:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Jwife22 View Post
So YOU"RE the one that keeps waking me on Saturday mornings!

I'll be putting my AAM day off until Sunday, if that's OK as I'll be attending an outdoor concert (a goofy 80's hairband no less ) with friends that I thoroughly enjoy.
We should be laughing most of the day and its supoosed to be a beautiful day as far as the weather.

In the meantime I'll be watching my grandbaby tonight...and she ALWAYS keeps me smiling.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:41 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cece1960 View Post
So YOU"RE the one that keeps waking me on Saturday mornings!
Probably!!! My husband said all our neighbors probably HATE me.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:14 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hey Anvil...since it's "all about you Friday"...go pick out what you want, go home, crunch the numbers, and I bet you find a way to make it work

I colored my hair, to get rid of the gray that keeps creeping in on the blonde, so that's about all I will get out of today. Tonight is "my" Monday at work, and I'm draggin my heels at taking my computer to FedEx to send off for repairs....don't they know I NEED my SR!!!!!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy